Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

It's that time

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's that time

I guess I've reached the age where I should be choosing a political view, anyone wanna help me out?
    Move this to whatever group/thread this is supposed to be in.

Be skeptical of everyone. Realize that career politicians are generally more interested in keeping their own jobs than the welfare of our country, but they'll say anything to convince you otherwise.

And be highly critical of the media. They specialize in stringing together sentences that might be word-for-word true, but create a false impression. Why? Because if its not dramatic enough, they need to put a some spin on it and keep the viewership up to sell ads.
    "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

Political view in the US, I'm assuming?
      You're a Mormon, so I'm guessing you support traditional values (albeit from a Mormon perspective)

Don't be a "single issue voter" - look at the big picture.

Realize that the next President will probably nominate 3 to 5 supreme court justices.
      You know that Hillary will nominate from the left, Trump at least has a chance at nominating somebody who supports traditional values.

Look at the big picture, not just current noise.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Political view in the US, I'm assuming?
        You're a Mormon, so I'm guessing you support traditional values (albeit from a Mormon perspective)

Don't be a "single issue voter" - look at the big picture.

Realize that the next President will probably nominate 3 to 5 supreme court justices.
        You know that Hillary will nominate from the left, Trump at least has a chance at nominating somebody who supports traditional values.

Look at the big picture, not just current noise.
        This is the best argument I've seen for voting for...well, anyone, in the upcoming presidential election.
        "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

Originally posted by duongkhue84 View Post
          I guess I've reached the age where I should be choosing a political view, anyone wanna help me out?
          If you're old enough to feel the need to choose a political view then I would hope you're old enough to have a good handle on your own core values. Basically, go with whatever political ideology is most in line with your core values, and as Cow Poke said, don't fixate on single issues.

If you don't have a good grasp of your core values, or don't understand what core values even are then I suggest you start there.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by duongkhue84 View Post
            Move this to whatever group/thread this is supposed to be in.
            Remember that no matter how much the Democrats and Republicans may try to trick you into thinking otherwise, there are often more than two choices on a ballot.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              If you don't have a good grasp of your core values, or don't understand what core values even are then I suggest you start there.
              Good point, I just assumed, being a Mormon, he'd have "traditional values" at the core, but that's not necessarily so.... so, good point!
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Enjoy being trolled, I guess?

Comment

Originally posted by Jaecp View Post
                  Enjoy being trolled, I guess?
                  Aren't you about due for another meltdown?

Comment

Good point, I just assumed, being a Mormon, he'd have "traditional values" at the core, but that's not necessarily so.... so, good point!
                    Like Harry Reid?
                    When I Survey....

Comment

Aren't you about due for another meltdown?

Extremely basic internet sleuthing shows this guy has used this account name six times on various websites. Each time, its some sort of open ended question and he never makes a second post on said site. Although, sometimes he does go back and get rid of the original post and replaces the text with asdasdasd if the forum allows.

Y'all being trolled just by responding to it and I would highly encourage locking this thread until the OP responds to a PM. Heck, sound his name out and you might think he's playing ya as jackasses

Comment

Originally posted by Jaecp View Post

Extremely basic internet sleuthing shows this guy has used this account name six times on various websites. Each time, its some sort of open ended question and he never makes a second post on said site. Although, sometimes he does go back and get rid of the original post and replaces the text with asdasdasd if the forum allows.

Y'all being trolled just by responding to it and I would highly encourage locking this thread until the OP responds to a PM. Heck, sound his name out and you might think he's playing ya as jackasses

To be fair - it read to me at first like you were talking to the OP poster. It sounded like you were accusing everyone else of trolling instead of pointing out that the OP was a troll.
                        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by myth View Post
                          Be skeptical of everyone. Realize that career politicians are generally more interested in keeping their own jobs than the welfare of our country, but they'll say anything to convince you otherwise.

And be highly critical of the media. They specialize in stringing together sentences that might be word-for-word true, but create a false impression. Why? Because if its not dramatic enough, they need to put a some spin on it and keep the viewership up to sell ads.
                          . . . assume the goal of all amateur politicians is to become professionals.

Comment