Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Apparent coup in Turkey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apparent coup in Turkey

http://fox13now.com/2016/07/15/repor...oup-in-turkey/

This could turn out to be very interesting.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

https://www.google.com/amp/m.huffpos...client=safari#

Comment

So do we root for the pro-American, secular military, or the democratically elected president, who has been pushing Islamist reforms?

I think I'm with the military on this one. Hopefully they have popular support with the people, or this could get messy.
        Middle-of-the-road swing voter. Feel free to sway my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Yttrium View Post
          I think I'm with the military on this one.
          Me too...
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

The Military in Turkey have the reputation of being "for the people", and supported by the people. The Military is now saying they have full control, and the Turkish EU Minister is calling on soldiers to disobey their commanders. That latter part sounds like a cry of desperation.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              The Military in Turkey have the reputation of being "for the people", and supported by the people. The Military is now saying they have full control, and the Turkish EU Minister is calling on soldiers to disobey their commanders. That latter part sounds like a cry of desperation.
              From what I'm hearing this guy Yildirim has been undermining Constitutional rights and moving towards Sharia law. Looks like Egypt.
              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                From what I'm hearing this guy Yildirim has been undermining Constitutional rights and moving towards Sharia law. Looks like Egypt.
                Pretty much.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Looks like citizens are fighting back against the military - not going to be such an easy go. Could be more of a civil war than a coup.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    Looks like citizens are fighting back against the military - not going to be such an easy go. Could be more of a civil war than a coup.
                    And they are saying that the police special forces are siding with Yildirim. This could get real bad, real fast.

Comment

This is why I dont like coups.
                      Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

It sort of looks like it is fizzling out. Still I won't be surprised if this leads to a change in leadership.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Former CIA director James Woolsey is suggesting the possibility that the coup was a fake coup orchestrated by Yildirim to gain support for himself. He also claims this part of the world is a conspiracy theory factory, and this idea may just be a conspiracy theory.

He does call it a "clumsy" coup, not well planned, etc. Woolsey thinks we may be in a 'less good' situation with the Turks after this all shakes out.

Comment

Looks like it failed....

Comment

yep failed. about 2-3K soldiers arrested, and 161 civilians killed. rumors that this might involve some terrorist leader who convinced some military to try to take the government. I wonder if this might be some ISIS attempt? apparently the people and the rest of the military and police fought against it.

Comment