Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Imagine If A Christian Mayor In The US Did This...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
    I wasn't trying to delegitimize anything, though.

I just need to go back to lurking, I guess.
    No no, you're fine.

I'm just trying to tell you where I've seen that image get used with an agenda, you know? Comment away dude!

Comment

Women in imperial China had to bind their feet to make them as small as possible. Women have been held to such specific standards in different cultures. So I'd say we are more prone to be exposed to unreasonable body image expectations more so than men.
      Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

I just posted it because I thought it was funny.

But if you want to get technical like that, then I actually have a chronic medical condition that precludes me from looking like that. It's not physically possible at this point in my life. So there.
        It is funny. Short of devoting your life to the look, it's not achievable for most people. It's no less the source of romance novels, either.

I didn't know there was a medical condition that prevented it, though. My condition is just laziness.
        I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
          Women in imperial China had to bind their feet to make them as small as possible. Women have been held to such specific standards in different cultures. So I'd say we are more prone to be exposed to unreasonable body image expectations more so than men.
          At least male body standards are based on 'cool' things like killing and conquest. None of this silliness about not being able to walk or even get a little sun.
          I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
            It is funny. Short of devoting your life to the look, it's not achievable for most people. It's no less the source of romance novels, either.

I didn't know there was a medical condition that prevented it, though. My condition is just laziness.
            I say medical condition somewhat loosely. Without getting into specifics (because you don't really want to hear them), I have a really unusual digestive problem that makes gaining weight/building muscle to any meaningful extent functionally impossible.
            I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

I say medical condition somewhat loosely. Without getting into specifics (because you don't really want to hear them), I have a really unusual digestive problem that makes gaining weight/building muscle to any meaningful extent functionally impossible.
              Oh, ok. I knew about that, but I didn't know if affected muscle gain.
              I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Oh, ok. I knew about that, but I didn't know if affected muscle gain.
                Not directly. I mean, it's not like I have a disease that prohibits muscle growth or anything. So it's an indirect impact, but it's very real at that.
                I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Not directly. I mean, it's not like I have a disease that prohibits muscle growth or anything. So it's an indirect impact, but it's very real at that.
                  Sure. The question is...do you even lift?
                  I'm not here anymore.

Comment

I read an anecdote years ago about a married woman who met Fabio (a popular male model at time) and was enthusing to her friend about how dreamy and handsome he was. The husband began to feel a little jealous and inadequate until his wife said to her friend, "Yes, Fabio was nice, but I can't picture him coming home on his lunch hour to retrieve a dead fish from the fishbowl for me."
                    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

To be fair, men at least have a theoretical ability to look like He-Man. There are competitions over it, in fact.

It doesn't change the very unrealistic portrayal of human bodies in every form of media, though.
                      You ever see Valeria Lukyanova*? She claims to have only had breast implants. Supposedly it's her diet and exercise that allows her to have the Barbie figure.

*Also known as the Human Barbie Doll.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                        You ever see Valeria Lukyanova*? She claims to have only had breast implants. Supposedly it's her diet and exercise that allows her to have the Barbie figure.

*Also known as the Human Barbie Doll.
                        I have. A lot of her pictures look photoshopped, tbh, but that might just be general disbelief on my part.
                        I'm not here anymore.

Comment

I have. A lot of her pictures look photoshopped, tbh, but that might just be general disbelief on my part.
                          I can see that.

Comment

My favorite was Dove's series of ads celebrating the beauty of "real women"... with a series of Photoshopped images so that the women in question wouldn't look too real.

Comment

Hijab-clad women are forced to stand in the back of the crowd during the London mayor's public appearances. I guess forcing women to be neither seen nor heard is one remedy for "body-shaming".

http://www.breitbart.com/london/2016...remain-speech/

Imagine the outcry if women were forced to the back of the room during a Trump rally.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                                Hijab-clad women are forced to stand in the back of the crowd during the London mayor's public appearances. I guess forcing women to be neither seen nor heard is one remedy for "body-shaming".

http://www.breitbart.com/london/2016...remain-speech/

Imagine the outcry if women were forced to the back of the room during a Trump rally.
                                At least they were not tempting us poor stupid men with their womanly charms...
                                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment