Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Gun Control vs. Trust in Police

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sea of red View Post
    I need to get out and read more? Tough talk coming from someone that's apparently an expert in everything. I think you need to learn that Democrat doesn't always equal liberal; they're pretty centrist when you compare them to the rest of the world, and pretty conservative in European standards. Besides, Republicans have voted for gun laws in the past, but I guess that doesn't count on this backwards forum.
    I see you've been given a temp vacation, so I don't expect an answer right away (or at all), but here it goes anyway:

1. I know what I do know and what I don't know. I know history and I know civics. I know that historically, progressives (which are liberals) were on the side of vice laws and worked on passing them and have worked with conservatives on passing them too. To deny this is to deny history. Since you want to keep denying/ignoring this key point, yeah I will call it as I see it and say you need to read more history/civics before you try to comment on it.
    2. I never said that Democrat was always equal to liberal and if you think I did, go ahead and quote me on it because I know I didn't because what I actually said is that a group of liberals have been in support of vice laws too. AKA you made up a position of mine to attack because you couldn't deal with the argument that I actually put forth. BTW expanding your arguments to the world doesn't help your case out since most of Europe also has vice laws in place too (it is illegal in the UK and France to smoke weed and I found this on their government web sites within 2 minutes of searching).
    3. I don't care what Republicans voted for because Republican doesn't equal conservative either. I actually tend to fall most closely with classic liberalism, which the Republican part doesn't always stick with.

As for your last post, it was just an emotional filled strawman that showed that you didn't understand what I actually said and decided to make up something I said instead. I have taken an oath, 4 times, to uphold and defend the Constitution of the United States, from all enemies, foreign and domestic. Do you seriously think that I would have taken such an oath if I didn't believe that the US government could be saved or wasn't worth defending? See, you made it sound like I was advocating for some sort of popularity contest or not working with the system. In reality, I know the government will do things I don't like because you can't please 350 million people all the time. It simply isn't possible, what I actually mean, when it comes to the right to revolt, is revolting against a government that continues to violate the rights of the people and this was the view held by the founding fathers of our country or have you not read the Declaration of Independence? I have thought this view though very thoroughly because it is the view held by the founders of our country (who, I might add, did try to work things out with the British government before they declared their independence). When you're back from your vacation and done attacking strawman in your attempts to pretend that my view is the view held by terrorist vs the view held by the founders of our nation, you're welcome to try again.
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment