Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Political News (Libertarian) and checking in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Darfius View Post
    I didn't say there was "nothing wrong with shaving your face." I like how you lie/make a mistake and tell me to pay attention. Idiot. Women can't shave their armpits or legs because it is deceptive. Perhaps repeating it will help it sink in. Fads do not become righteous because they are fads. Maybe if they spent the energy they spent shaving their legs being truthful they wouldn't be such liars.
    How is that deception? How does a woman shaving her legs make her a liar? I'm genuinely curious about your rationale here.
    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Shaving and showering involve no deception. Only the maintaining of what exists.
      Shaving and showering do not maintain what exists. Shaving removes hair which grows naturally, and showering removes odors which naturally exist. And there is zero difference between a man shaving his face and women shaving armpits/legs.
      The book of Enoch is quoted authoritatively by Scripture.
      So are Greek poets. That doesn't mean Greek poetry is authoritative.
      Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
        How is that deception? How does a woman shaving her legs make her a liar? I'm genuinely curious about your rationale here.
        Is she shaving her legs for health reasons or to give a certain impression? Obviously to give an impression (that her legs are naturally that smooth). Anytime we intend to give an impression other than the truth, we are being deceptive. Many cultures do not care whether a woman's legs are hairy or not. Do you not see the problem with letting the world dictate how we should behave?

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
          Shaving and showering do not maintain what exists. Shaving removes hair which grows naturally, and showering removes odors which naturally exist. And there is zero difference between a man shaving his face and women shaving armpits/legs.
          I do not think men should shave off their beards. Nor do I think they should allow them to become wild and unkempt. The difference between a man shaving his facial hair and a woman shaving her leg hair is that a man's facial hair will not stop growing and can become unkempt. You could have thought of this had you intended to think, rather than justify the modern, Western "Christian" woman.

Odor is an accumulation of filth, both outside of our bodies and from inside our bodies. By cleansing, we remove this accumulation and thereby decrease the odor. This is not deception but maintaining, as such an accumulation is harmful to our bodies, as well as smelly. Owned again.

So are Greek poets. That doesn't mean Greek poetry is authoritative.
          Pay attention. I already addressed this. Paul did not refer to Greek poetry authoritatively but as part of his method of "being all things to all men" and suggesting that "even" Greek poets acknowledged a universal truth. Jude, on the other hand, referenced the book of Enoch as an authoritative source. You'd know this if you actually read the Bible and compared the two instances, but I know how offensive the idea of actually reading the Bible and referring to it as an authoritative source is to you lot.

Comment

Is she shaving her legs for health reasons or to give a certain impression? Obviously to give an impression (that her legs are naturally that smooth). Anytime we intend to give an impression other than the truth, we are being deceptive. Many cultures do not care whether a woman's legs are hairy or not. Do you not see the problem with letting the world dictate how we should behave?
            You could switch out the woman shaving her legs for a man trimming his beard (to prevent it becoming wild and unkempt, as you say):

Is he trimming his beard for health reasons or to give a certain impression? Obviously to give an impression (that his beard is naturally not wild and unkempt). Anytime we intend to give an impression other than the truth, we are being deceptive. Many cultures do not care whether a man's beard is unkempt or not. Do you not see the problem with letting the world dictate how we should behave?

If a woman shaving her legs is deception, then I don't see how you can argue that a man trimming his beard isn't.
            I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

I do not think men should shave off their beards. Nor do I think they should allow them to become wild and unkempt. The difference between a man shaving his facial hair and a woman shaving her leg hair is that a man's facial hair will not stop growing and can become unkempt.
              What is "unkempt" but a social convention? Again, there is zero difference. Trimming and shaving are both social conventions.
              Odor is an accumulation of filth, both outside of our bodies and from inside our bodies. By cleansing, we remove this accumulation and thereby decrease the odor. This is not deception but maintaining, as such an accumulation is harmful to our bodies, as well as smelly. Owned again.
              It is not harmful to our bodies. We have no need to hide from predators, so there is no inherent advantage to removing odor.
              Pay attention. I already addressed this. Paul did not refer to Greek poetry authoritatively but as part of his method of "being all things to all men" and suggesting that "even" Greek poets acknowledged a universal truth. Jude, on the other hand, referenced the book of Enoch as an authoritative source.
              Well, no he didn't. He referenced it, without saying anything about its authority - just like Paul.
              You'd know this if you actually read the Bible and compared the two instances, but I know how offensive the idea of actually reading the Bible and referring to it as an authoritative source is to you lot.
              Slinging unfounded accusations now, eh? And wildly inaccurate ones, to boot. One would think that you're attempting to goad your opponents, or something.
              Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                You could switch out the woman shaving her legs for a man trimming his beard (to prevent it becoming wild and unkempt, as you say):

Is he trimming his beard for health reasons or to give a certain impression? Obviously to give an impression (that his beard is naturally not wild and unkempt). Anytime we intend to give an impression other than the truth, we are being deceptive. Many cultures do not care whether a man's beard is unkempt or not. Do you not see the problem with letting the world dictate how we should behave?

If a woman shaving her legs is deception, then I don't see how you can argue that a man trimming his beard isn't.
                I already explained this...women's leg hair doesn't grow indefinitely. At some point it ceases to grow. That is not the case for a man's facial hair. The two are not analogous.

Comment

• I shave cause I don't want to look lik a man.....
                  A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                  George Bernard Shaw

Comment

What is "unkempt" but a social convention? Again, there is zero difference. Trimming and shaving are both social conventions.
                    Agreed. Perhaps men shouldn't trim their beards. That is what God told the Israelites. But adhering to a social convention to appear sane and clean strikes me as more in the vein of "becoming all things to all men" than adhering to a social convention for vanity's sake.

It is not harmful to our bodies. We have no need to hide from predators, so there is no inherent advantage to removing odor.
                    Filth is not harmful to our bodies? Maybe you should google bacteria and viruses.

Well, no he didn't. He referenced it, without saying anything about its authority - just like Paul.
                    Quoting verbatim is not merely "referencing." Jude could have paraphrased--which is what Paul did--but he quoted verbatim, showing that he viewed the text as authoritative.

Comment

Agreed. Perhaps men shouldn't trim their beards. That is what God told the Israelites. But adhering to a social convention to appear sane and clean strikes me as more in the vein of "becoming all things to all men" than adhering to a social convention for vanity's sake.
                      This strikes me as a distinction without a difference.
                      Filth is not harmful to our bodies? Maybe you should google bacteria and viruses.
                      Our natural oils actually serve as a barrier to bacteria and viruses, which washing with soap takes away.
                      Quoting verbatim is not merely "referencing." Jude could have paraphrased--which is what Paul did--but he quoted verbatim, showing that he viewed the text as authoritative.
                      Since when did Paul parapharase? And do you seriously take all of 1 Enoch as authoritative?
                      sigpic

Comment

This strikes me as a distinction without a difference.
                        No difference between conciliation and vanity?

Since when did Paul parapharase? And do you seriously take all of 1 Enoch as authoritative?
                        The Greek poet that Paul quoted was talking about Zeus, not God. I think the biblical Enoch almost certainly wrote a work which was almost certainly altered by the time it reached the apostles (and since), but which had many traditions which were historical.

Comment

Presumably every husband knows what his wife looks like without makeup, so why would she attempt to keep up the deception for him? It's for everyone else she will meet throughout the day.
                          Ah, now I understand!!

You've never even had a girlfriend, have you?

Comment

I didn't say there was "nothing wrong with shaving your face." I like how you lie/make a mistake and tell me to pay attention. Idiot. Women can't shave their armpits or legs because it is deceptive. Perhaps repeating it will help it sink in. Fads do not become righteous because they are fads. Maybe if they spent the energy they spent shaving their legs being truthful they wouldn't be such liars.

Ahem....
                            Originally posted by Darfius View Post
                            Shaving and showering involve no deception. Only the maintaining of what exists."
                            If you want to accuse me of lying you need to provide evidence of it with your post.

So basically you don' think shaving your face is deceptive, just maintaining what exists. So why would a woman shaving her legs be any different? If she allows her pit hair and leg hair to grow, it becomes unkempt, so it should be shaved to maintain what exists. Your own logic.

Comment

I already explained this...women's leg hair doesn't grow indefinitely. At some point it ceases to grow. That is not the case for a man's facial hair. The two are not analogous.
                              your argument's flaws have been pointed out to you many times, Darfius. If the purpose is to NOT deceive, then trimming your beard to keep it from being naturally unkempt is deception. Combing your hair to keep it from being naturally unkempt it deception. Brushing your teeth to keep off the natural plaque is deception. Stopping your natural body odor or breath odor is deception. Wearing clothes is deception. At least according to the way YOU use the word "deception" in your arguments.

Comment

and yet you don't say the same thing for women to wear makeup, or shave their legs and armpits. How odd.

Comment