Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Ecophiles blaming oil sands for Fort Mac fire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
    I knew I had trolls. Usually I ignore them, and will continue to do so this time as well.
    This is about isn't it?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I would really like to know where all the other leftist enviro-nuts (besides ff) are in response to this.

Is there no outrage? Why are they not responding here to this issue? Or are they like ff and have no compassion or care, so are staying out...

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

How many homes burned, mossy? Do they know yet?
        The last Christian left at tweb

Comment

Originally posted by Trout View Post
          How many homes burned, mossy? Do they know yet?
          At this count there are 1600 homes totally destroyed and many more damaged. The official count isn't in yet. And likely won't be for a while. The 2 year old airport main building is intact, although several buildings at the airport are gone. The new hospital is still there, in fact all the main infrastructure is still in place.

No injuries, no fatalities. No looting by the few foolish ones who stayed behind. All great blessings.

Our next door neighbours daughter and her husband live there. She is a nurse at the hospital there and her hubby is a firefighter. She has come home to her parents' house, gone back up to relieve some other health care workers, and come back again. He is still there fighting the battle.

My neighbour told me yesterday that the fire was in their area, and I have been praying that their home would be spared.

Word came to me earlier this evening that their home is safe.
          Last edited by mossrose; 05-06-2016, 08:57 PM.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

That's crazy horrible.

I had no idea it was that dry there.

Comment

That's crazy horrible.

I had no idea it was that dry there.
              Yes. It is awfully dry.

We had drought province-wide last year, and that was with a ton of snow during the winter. Not much snow this past winter, and not enough rain this spring to do anything useful. After the fire is over and that mess cleaned up, there will be another state of emergency when the crops fail again, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                Yes. It is awfully dry.

We had drought province-wide last year, and that was with a ton of snow during the winter. Not much snow this past winter, and not enough rain this spring to do anything useful. After the fire is over and that mess cleaned up, there will be another state of emergency when the crops fail again, I think.
                Sad.

Scary.

I've always wanted to visit fort mac.

Comment

Sad.

Scary.

I've always wanted to visit fort mac.
                  Probably be able to, someday.

Comment

According to Wildrose leader Brian Jean, who lost his own home in the Fort Mac fire, at least 80% of homes are "alive and fit for occupation except for the services angle".

The downtown area is intact, most places have water and electricity, but the natural gas has been turned off. Most neighbourhoods, you can't even tell there has been a fire through. Airport is usable, hospital, arena, schools and industrial areas are all fine.

http://www.calgarysun.com/2016/05/06...ved--as-of-now

This was from Friday evening. The fire has moved on southeast, into the forest away from communities, but it is still massive. They show pictures of smoke tracking down into the States, as far as Georgia and Florida.

Assessment teams are heading into Fort Mac tomorrow. All the refugees who fled north of the city have been removed, most of them to Edmonton. There are ads out there for workers who want to go up and start reconstruction, an opportunity for not only the folk who have had to flee the fire, but also for those who have been unemployed by way of the failing economy, which has already hit Alberta hard, due to the low price of oil.

If you have been praying for this situation, I implore you to continue. So much has been lost, so much will need to be done.

Comment

I've never heard of an evacuation of that scale before. Almost biblical.

Comment

The really amazing thing, to me, is that in spite of the urgency to leave the area, everyone behaved in an incredibly orderly manner. No instances of road rage. 2 people killed in an accident on one of the roads, which I have no details about, except it was after most of the evac had already taken place.

A few people stayed behind in the city, and the RCMP and military have been patrolling the emptiness constantly. Only one person has been arrested for attempted looting.

And other than the car accident fatalities, no one injured or killed. Not even firefighters.

Amazing.

Comment

A testament to the people of Fort mac. Salt of the earth no doubt.

Comment

A testament to the people of Fort mac. Salt of the earth no doubt.

Canadian politeness at its best.

Comment

I've never heard of an evacuation of that scale before. Almost biblical.
                              I dunno. I'm fairly certain that Floridians could tell tales of evacuations of similar size. More people probably stay behind to brave hurricanes, however.
                              Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                              sigpic
                              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment