Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Ethics 301 Guidelines

This forum is for Christians to discuss ethical issues within Christianity. Non-theists, non-christians, and unorthodox Christians should not post here without first getting permission from the area's moderators.

If you have a question about what's OK and what's not OK, please contact the moderators.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Nudism and Clothing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The issue of modesty has to be considered culturally, obviously. In a Muslim country, a woman might cause scandal by wearing shorts and a T-shirt that nobody would think twice about in another country and if this would end up bringing disrespute to the gospel somehow, it would have to be considered. In some African tribe where nobody wears much clothes, I wouldn't see a problem with women walking around topless if that's just what everybody does. That wouldn't make it okay in the US though.

A hint of this is where Paul tells women to keep their heads covered because in that culture, doing otherwise would be advertising oneself as a prostitute, which would bring great disrepute on the gospel.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

No I said I don't want my children forced to look at someone else's genitals. That's my job to educate them properly on the body. Its not the job of you or anyone else, and I prefer not to have anyone's values forced on them. Quite frankly in our culture, nudism is VERY inconsiderate to say the least.
      If you want to be a nudist, move to a culture where its acceptable to walk all day in loin cloths and keep it to yourself. Don't wave it in my face.
      A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
      George Bernard Shaw

Comment

And by the way, the human body is not beautiful when your being forced to look at it for someone else's selfish gain.
        George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Cerealman View Post
          Besides the fact you sure do enjoy asserting(million/thorns/mosquitots) I highly doubt there were a million jews in the desert but I guess that's just your asserting ways rubbing off on me.
          And once again you have to be nude to bath but does not make you a nudist. I already that before in an earlier post. I'll say it again you have to be naked to bath but it doesn't make you a nudist.
          1. Now the sons of Israel journeyed from Rameses to Succoth, about six hundred thousand men on foot, aside from children. (Exodus 12:37, NASB)
          Now add in children and women and the number is easily over a million.

2. Keil and Delitzsch: Everything injurious to man in the organic, vegetable and animal creation, is the effect of the curse pronounced upon the earth for Adam's sin
          http://www.studylight.org/commentari....cgi?bk=0&ch=3

3. nudist: the practice of going nude, especially in places that allow sexually mixed groups, in the belief that such practice benefits health.
          http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/nudist?s=t

Yes, the Israelites had a practice of going nude to bathe in public.
          Last edited by foudroyant; 06-08-2014, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
            And by the way, the human body is not beautiful when your being forced to look at it for someone else's selfish gain.
            Like I sad burn those anatomy books.

Comment

Originally posted by TimelessTheist View Post
              So, foudy's finally come full circle, hasn't he?

Another idiot comment.

Zero passages presented by you that refute my position.

From way back in Post #29:
              1. Saul was prophesying a day and a night naked with no shame (1 Samuel 19:24). The same Hebrew word occurs in Genesis 2:25 and Job 1:21 and Ecclesiastes 5:15.
              2. Isaiah 20:2-3 - God does not command what He condemns.
              --------
              Questions:
              1. Did Saul commit sin by being nude?
              2. Did Isaiah sin by walking around nude? (Remember God commanded him to do this)
              Last edited by foudroyant; 06-08-2014, 06:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by foudroyant View Post
                1. Now the sons of Israel journeyed from Rameses to Succoth, about six hundred thousand men on foot, aside from children. (Exodus 12:37, NASB)
                Now add in children and women and the number is easily over a million.

2. Keil and Delitzsch: Everything injurious to man in the organic, vegetable and animal creation, is the effect of the curse pronounced upon the earth for Adam's sin
                http://www.studylight.org/commentari....cgi?bk=0&ch=3

3. nudist: the practice of going nude, especially in places that allow sexually mixed groups, in the belief that such practice benefits health.
                http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/nudist?s=t

Yes, the Israelites had a practice of going nude to bathe in public.
                It's common sense to go naked when you shower/bath by your standards and OP I'm in support of nudists every time I take a shower.
                "Kahahaha! Let's get lunatic!"-Add LP
                "And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin is pride that apes humility"-Samuel Taylor Coleridge
                Oh ye of little fiber. Do you not know what I've done for you? You will obey. ~Cerealman for Prez.

Comment

Another idiot comment.

Zero passages presented by you that refute my position.

From way back in Post #29:
                  1. Saul was prophesying a day and a night naked with no shame (1 Samuel 19:24). The same Hebrew word occurs in Genesis 2:25 and Job 1:21 and Ecclesiastes 5:15.
                  2. Isaiah 20:2-3 - God does not command what He condemns.
                  --------
                  Questions:
                  1. Did Saul commit sin by being nude?
                  2. Did Isaiah sin by walking around nude? (Remember God commanded him to do this)
                  Unlike you I'm not gonna jump to the conclusions that this automatically is in support of nudists.
                  The nakedness that these two servants of God had a bigger purpose than just being naked something you clearly avoided by leaving out entire verses.
                  So again when are you going to accept sin is avoidable in "Christian" naturism?
                  "Kahahaha! Let's get lunatic!"-Add LP
                  "And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin is pride that apes humility"-Samuel Taylor Coleridge
                  Oh ye of little fiber. Do you not know what I've done for you? You will obey. ~Cerealman for Prez.

Comment

Good on you Cerealman.
                    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Like I sad burn those anatomy books.
                      So apparently you just admitted to being an "exhibitionist" Which by definition is a paraphilia, and is also considered criminal. This is far from basic anatomy and anything found in scripture.
                      Promoting this also promotes pedophilia and other sexual perversions, and quite frankly I'm not surprised by it one bit. Certainly not coming from you.
                      George Bernard Shaw

Comment

It's common sense to go naked when you shower/bath by your standards and OP I'm in support of nudists every time I take a shower.

No kidding! But they did it IN PUBLIC.

Still a grand total of zero passages supplied that forbid public nudity.
                        Last edited by foudroyant; 06-09-2014, 12:03 AM.

Comment

Unlike you I'm not gonna jump to the conclusions that this automatically is in support of nudists.
                          The nakedness that these two servants of God had a bigger purpose than just being naked something you clearly avoided by leaving out entire verses.
                          So again when are you going to accept sin is avoidable in "Christian" naturism?
                          Please cite the "entire verses" I am leaving out.
                          To answer your question see the OP. - I have not TOTALLY embraced it.

And as I mentioned in Post #50 Bathsheba was never condemned for bathing in public view.

When are you going to supply one passage from the Bible that forbids it?
                          Last edited by foudroyant; 06-09-2014, 12:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
                            So apparently you just admitted to being an "exhibitionist" Which by definition is a paraphilia, and is also considered criminal. This is far from basic anatomy and anything found in scripture.
                            Promoting this also promotes pedophilia and other sexual perversions, and quite frankly I'm not surprised by it one bit. Certainly not coming from you.
                            Lady, get your head screwed on straight.

Comment

Lady, get your head screwed on straight.
                              I'd like to see you prove how what you want isn't promoting sexual perversion and exhibitionism considering you want to run around naked and force people to look at you.
                              George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I am not forcing them to look at me.

a. Joseph was handsome (Genesis 39:6) but dressed and Potiphar's wife still lusted after him (Genesis 39:7). Therefore wearing clothing is sinful?
                                b. Delicious food causes some to be gluttons. Gluttony is a sin (Matthew 11:19; cf. Proverbs 23:2) .Therefore delicious food is sinful?
                                c. Money causes some to covetous. Being covetous (Romans 13:9) is a sin. Therefore having money is sinful?
                                Everything in life can be tempting. Everything in life can be used to satisfy evil desires but God does condemn everything on its potential for evil. Not once is nudity a matter of shame or embarrassment or condemnation. It is always the conditions or actions surrounding nakedness (context) that result in condemnation. When shame is associated with nakedness it is:
                                1. Sinful conduct in association with nakedness (Genesis 9:20-25; Jeremiah 13:26; Ezekiel 23:29, 30; Nahum 3:5, 6; Habakkuk 2:15-16).
                                2. Shame due to status of a conquered people (Isaiah 20:4; 47:3; Micah 1:11 - in verse 8 Micah was "commanded").
                                3. Shame due to their spiritual state - nakedness is used figuratively (Revelation 3:17, 18 and 16:15).

Still not one passage from the Bible forbidding public nudity.
                                Last edited by foudroyant; 06-09-2014, 12:17 AM.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X