Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The Concorde II? A New Supersonic Private Plane?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
    The concorde was never profitable, so we'll see if this one can do that...
    I had a tour of a Concorde a month or so ago (there is one at Manchester Airport), and apparently the British Airways planes were very successful; about 30% of BAs profits came from Concorde.
    My Blog: http://oncreationism.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by The Pixie View Post
      I had a tour of a Concorde a month or so ago (there is one at Manchester Airport), and apparently the British Airways planes were very successful; about 30% of BAs profits came from Concorde.
      I didn't know there were any still around - did it look like they were keeping it in good condition?
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        I would love to have seen that - I'm a big Air Show guy!
        Used to go to them regularly at Lockheed and Dobbins Air Reserve Base (they're located next to each other) but haven't gone in awhile. I still remember taking my oldest cousin to one in the 80s and as we were going through a security checkpoint that asked him what he had in his backpack (as they searched it), he replied "nothing but a little pot." After the show when we got back to the car the idiot pulled out a small baggy with "a little pot" in it that he had in a secret stash in the backpack

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          Used to go to them regularly at Lockheed and Dobbins Air Reserve Base (they're located next to each other) but haven't gone in awhile. I still remember taking my oldest cousin to one in the 80s and as we were going through a security checkpoint that asked him what he had in his backpack (as they searched it), he replied "nothing but a little pot." After the show when we got back to the car the idiot pulled out a small baggy with "a little pot" in it that he had in a secret stash in the backpack
          Dude knew what he was doing. Distract them with what they'll take as a joke so they don't look too hard.
          I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
            Dude knew what he was doing. Distract them with what they'll take as a joke so they don't look too hard.
            This sounds like the voice of experience.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

If he truly knew what he was doing he never would have tried to take drugs through a security check point.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

This sounds like the voice of experience.
                There are a lot of things I know that I've never had to put into practice.
                I'm not here anymore.

Comment

If he truly knew what he was doing was smart he never would have tried to take drugs through a security check point.
                  FTFY. Ofc, if he was smart, he wouldn't be doing it in the first place.
                  I'm not here anymore.

Comment

They've always struck me to be aiming at a non-existent niche. The Robinson helicopters started out the same way.
                    Today's niche can become tomorrow's common day occurrence and it could be possible that most of us might travel across the ocean at supersonic speeds one day. The biggest problem though is that the Concorde was simply too expensive for most people to travel in and the few that could afford it, didn't seem to support it. From what I could find, a single one way ticket was a little over 6,000 dollars a person (according to the NYT's article on the retirement of the Concorde back in 2003) and that isn't anything most people are going to be able to afford. I think that for such a jet to turn much of a profit, it would have to come down to half that or less and be able to make multiple trips day in and day out. If they can pull that off, it might work out rather well.
                    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

I would love to have seen that - I'm a big Air Show guy!
                      I used to rather enjoy airshows, until I joined the AF and was voluntold to work them that is...
                      "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by The Pixie View Post
                        From what I've read, in the beginning, they did turn a profit mainly due to the fact that the British Government financed them and bought them for the airlines (if you have a brand new jet that somebody else paid for, I'm sure it's going to make money). I have found don't always accept everything that is said at a museum, at face value, because they may leave out or underplay the 'bad or negative' stuff associated with what they are showing you. When my family went to visit the Endeavour a few years ago, it was neat to see, but you didn't hear about how the shuttle never performed at levels it was told it could perform and how it ended up being far more expensive than originally projected. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoyed it immensely, but the purpose of having a space shuttle is to get lots of people to visit it and get lots of donations for your visit.
                        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

If he truly knew what he was doing he never would have tried to take drugs through a security check point.
                          Considering the boring monotony of running a security check point could almost make you wish something exciting would happen...
                          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

I used to rather enjoy airshows, until I joined the AF and was voluntold to work them that is...
                            I was at one at MCAS Miramar in San Diego when a stunt plane (in the pre-show show) came spiraling out of the sky straight down, and failed to pull up in time, and smashed into the concrete just 50 yards from where my wife and I stood in the VIP tent. It was pretty horrific.

Comment

I was at one at MCAS Miramar in San Diego when a stunt plane (in the pre-show show) came spiraling out of the sky straight down, and failed to pull up in time, and smashed into the concrete just 50 yards from where my wife and I stood in the VIP tent. It was pretty horrific.
                              Wow, I haven't been around for any plane crashes thankfully. Sounds pretty horrific to me too.
                              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Wow, I haven't been around for any plane crashes thankfully. Sounds pretty horrific to me too.
                                I was VERY impressed with how they handled it. The announcer told the crowd, "Ladies and gentlemen, obviously we've had a problem, and if you have small children, now would be a great time to visit our static displays...." (that was very smart) "... we will assess the situation and let you know in about an hour".

Sure enough, an hour later, he came back on, and said, "Ladies and gentlemen, as you know, life is full of tragedies, but we are professionals, and we intend to continue with our program.... We spoke with the father of the injured pilot, and he insists his son would have expect us to continue..."

And they did.

(on the way home, we heard on the car radio that the pilot died on the way to the hospital)

Comment