Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Intelligent Design?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seer View Post
    Yes, I generally agree, I just think it is interesting that some very respected scientists are literally theorizing an intelligent source for life on earth.
    They are hypothesizing an intelligent source for life on Earth. They are not yet theorizing this. Rather large difference, scientifically speaking.
    "[Mathematics] is the revealer of every genuine truth, for it knows every hidden secret, and bears the key to every subtlety of letters; whoever, then, has the effrontery to pursue physics while neglecting mathematics should know from the start he will never make his entry through the portals of wisdom."
    --Thomas Bradwardine, De Continuo (c. 1325)

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing Pythagoras View Post
      Yes, I am a pagan. I rather take pride in that fact.
      But are you really a pagan?

Comment

Like I said to Jorge, I just think it is interesting that some very respected scientists are literally theorizing an intelligent source for life on earth.
        That I agree with.

Originally posted by Boxing Pythagoras
        They are hypothesizing an intelligent source for life on Earth. They are not yet theorizing this. Rather large difference, scientifically speaking.
        I think applying some charitable interpretation to seers words makes it clear that he takes 'theorizing' in this latter way.

Comment

Originally posted by Jorge View Post
          I have long been at odds with core IDers on this point. I had exchanges with Bill Dembski on this dating back 13-14 years or so. Bluntly, as smart as many of the top IDers are (and they are smart!), I'm quite certain that on this issue they missed the proverbial boat.

My reasoning is simple:

Suppose ANY "designer" other than God.
          Okay, then what was the origin of that "designer"?
          By logic and empiricism, infinite regression is not allowed.
          Thus, two and only two options are possible: purely natural or supernatural.

If purely natural then ID fails.

If supernatural, then God necessarily enters the picture.

Yet, IDers wish to avoid that inevitable option (God = Designer) at all cost.

In Without Excuse I go into more detail but above is the essence.

More than anything else, chirping sounds has been the response ...

Jorge
          Stop giving away Prometheus 2 spoilers!

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
            But are you really a pagan?
            Yes. I am a Germanic Neopagan.
            "[Mathematics] is the revealer of every genuine truth, for it knows every hidden secret, and bears the key to every subtlety of letters; whoever, then, has the effrontery to pursue physics while neglecting mathematics should know from the start he will never make his entry through the portals of wisdom."

Comment

Yes, I am a pagan. I rather take pride in that fact.
              Is stoning still illegal?
              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Yes. I am a Germanic Neopagan. I have a thread on my beliefs on these forums, if you're interested:
                http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...ism-Forn-Sed-)
                Kind of like the Nazis?
                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Kind of like the Nazis?
                  Godwin's Law: You've hereby automatically lost the discussion.

Comment

By Odin's right eye, I think this is a milestone: Jorge and I are in nearly complete agreement on a point.
                    YIKES !!!

That can only mean that I'm falling down on the job.
                    I'll have to go back to rethink and check my figures.

Jorge

Comment

Yes. I am a Germanic Neopagan.
                      I'm just bustin yer chops cause you don't actually believe in a literal pantheon of divine beings.

Comment

Yes, I generally agree, I just think it is interesting that some very respected scientists are literally theorizing an intelligent source for life on earth.
                        I understand but don't be too quick to give them any credit for something that your average Junior High School kid already knows. It is ONLY after that same kid becomes thoroughly indoctrinated into the Evolutionary mindset -- coupled with peer pressure, intimidation, relentless propaganda and ridicule -- that (s)he abandons the notion of an Intelligent Designer.

IOW, these "very respected scientists" have merely finally come around to what many of us have known from the start. Reminds me of the quote (paraphrasing): "After scaling the highest peaks of ignorance, they find theologians that have been patiently waiting for centuries."

But they're still not there ... I mean, "ET did it?!?" Come on!!!

Jorge

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                          I'm just bustin yer chops cause you don't actually believe in a literal pantheon of divine beings.
                          German accent mode: ON

Vait -- vhat?

German accent mode: OFF

Comment

Originally posted by Duragizer View Post
                            German accent mode: ON

Vait -- vhat?

German accent mode: OFF
                            Yeah, I know how weird it sounds. I'm an atheist neopagan.
                            http://boxingpythagoras.com/2014/09/...dless-heathen/

((Also, as an aside, I've been watching Twin Peaks for the first time, over the last week, and I freakin' love your avatar))

Comment

Yeah, I know how weird it sounds. I'm an atheist neopagan.
                              http://boxingpythagoras.com/2014/09/...dless-heathen/
                              From your site:

Appealing to a great deal of scholarship on archaeology and historical documentation, Heathens have attempted to build a modern religion which resembles that which was employed by these ancient tribes. This involves far, far more than simply learning the old mythological stories and then claiming to worship Odin and Thor and Frigga and Freyja and the other gods. Heathenry includes philosophy about kinship and ancestry and destiny and morality. Even if one were to completely ignore the theology of Heathenry, it still offers rich value to those with interest in it.
                              I mean really Boxing, isn't this exactly what the Nazi's did - to invent a new social meme based on Norse mythology?

Comment

Originally posted by Jorge View Post
                                These PhD "scientists" can propose anything ... a-n-y-t-h-i-n-g ... as long as
                                they remain within the realm of mass-energy and physical laws.
                                YECs like Jorge suffer from no such restriction. They can propose a-n-y-t-h-i-n-g ... period.

Pearls that glow like light-bulbs without requiring an energy source. Trees growing on the ocean surface. Vegetarian vampire bats. Invisible seas in the sky. Earth existing within a black hole. Continents moving faster than speedboats. Vertical holes in floodwaters. Dinosaurs at the battle of Bosworth Field. UFOs are piloted by Satan's minions. If your name is written in capital letters it doesn't refer to you.

If YECs had remained within the realm of physical laws maybe they wouldn't look so ridiculous.

Roy
                                Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                                MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment