Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Can we discuss this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
    How many mathematicians does it take to screw in a light bulb?

If you're having Math problems, I feel bad for you son.
    I got 99 problems, but 0.999... = 1.
    "[Mathematics] is the revealer of every genuine truth, for it knows every hidden secret, and bears the key to every subtlety of letters; whoever, then, has the effrontery to pursue physics while neglecting mathematics should know from the start he will never make his entry through the portals of wisdom."
    --Thomas Bradwardine, De Continuo (c. 1325)

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing Pythagoras View Post
      Of course 0.999... = 1, it was a joke.

Comment

Of course 0.999... = 1, it was a joke.
        I know-- mine was, too. Mathematical parody of Jay-Z's "99 Problems"
        "[Mathematics] is the revealer of every genuine truth, for it knows every hidden secret, and bears the key to every subtlety of letters; whoever, then, has the effrontery to pursue physics while neglecting mathematics should know from the start he will never make his entry through the portals of wisdom."
        --Thomas Bradwardine, De Continuo (c. 1325)

Comment

I know-- mine was, too. Mathematical parody of Jay-Z's "99 Problems"
          The wit of a joke decays exponentially, base 2, with the number of times it's explained.

Comment

I prefer the fencepost version created by Randall Munroe.
            I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
              1/0 = [ATTACH=CONFIG]3698[/ATTACH]
              1/0 is undefined. Aleph_null ain't. Your answer could just as well be Aleph_n, n in Z+.

Cardinal number vis-a-vis limit.

K54

Comment

Originally posted by klaus54 View Post
                1/0 is undefined. Aleph_null ain't. Your answer could just as well be Aleph_n, n in Z+.

Cardinal number vis-a-vis limit.

K54
                1/0 is undefined as a standard.

If we write 1/x and x approaches zero. Then as x approaches zero the value of 1/x approaches infinity.

1 - .999... is either zero or an infinitesimal greater than zero. Depending on the equality. An infinitesimal taken by itself is equal to zero for all practical purposes. And division by zero is undefined for most all practical purposes. And 1 divided by an infinitesimal is equal to infinity. And of course if the infinitesimal is defined as a discrete value, then the division results in a very large number which is not infinite.
                Last edited by 37818; 01-26-2015, 08:23 PM.
                . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

You can't divide by zero, so it is not equal to aleph zero.
                  It has been defined that division by zero cannot be done.

I define division by zero as infinite. I really do not care that it is not the standard. I also use a rule for an indeterminate in which the indeterminate becomes the value in an equation which makes the equation equal. And a none equal result is breaking this rule, and is therefore never the valid answer.

Two equations which, for example, create the very same graph. Except on the form of one of the equations has an indeterminate form in it. That indeterminate is defined by the tangent value at that point. And that value for that indeterminate makes the equation equal at that point. This is not your standard algebra.
                  Last edited by 37818; 01-26-2015, 08:52 PM.
                  . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

It has been defined that division by zero cannot be done.

I define division by zero as infinite.
                    Actually you can't coherently define division by zero, for the simple reason of what the definition of what 0 and division is.

Division is defined like this:

For a given number 'a' not equal to '0', there exists a number 'b', such that the equation 'a*b = 1' is fulfilled. We give this number the symbol '1/a', multiplying this number by a scalar c is written 'c/a' and we term this 'c divided by a'.

The number '0' is defined to be a number such that for any 'a' we have that '0*a = 0'.

So if you want to do '1/0' you'd need to find an 'a' such that '0*a = 1', however because 0 has been defined explicitly to be such that this multiplication will always be 0, no matter what 'a' is, you'll get a contradiction. I don't care of its aleph_0 or a aleph_1000000. It will still be a contradiction.

In fact if you accept an exception, any exception, you'd be forced to agree that 0 = 1.

So division by zero remains undefined, otherwise we'd have a contradiction.

Two equations which, for example, create the very same graph. Except on the form of one of the equations has an indeterminate form in it. That indeterminate is defined by the tangent value at that point. And that value for that indeterminate makes the equation equal at that point. This is not your standard algebra.
                    No, I'm not sure what kind of language you're using, or what exactly you're describing either. You're basically just taking the limit of 1/x as x goes towards zero from the positive direction. This gives +infinity, and if it had been from the negative direction you'd get -infinity. But those symbols simple represent limits, they're not numbers in and of themselves and can't be treated as such.
                    Last edited by Leonhard; 01-26-2015, 09:21 PM.

Comment

1 - .999... is either zero or an infinitesimal greater than zero.
                      If you're dealing with the real numbers, then '1 = 0.999...', without any ambiguity, not merely for practical purposes.

Comment

If you're dealing with the real numbers, then '1 = 0.999...', without any ambiguity, not merely for practical purposes.
                        Um, aren't real numbers practical?

Yeah, I 'get' the concept but my brain really hates that equation since they are different. It reads as wrong to me - even though I understand why it isn't.
                        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Actually you can't coherently define division by zero, for the simple reason of what the definition of what 0 and division is.

Division is defined like this:

For a given number 'a' not equal to '0', there exists a number 'b', such that the equation 'a*b = 1' is fulfilled. We give this number the symbol '1/a', multiplying this number by a scalar c is written 'c/a' and we term this 'c divided by a'.

The number '0' is defined to be a number such that for any 'a' we have that '0*a = 0'.

So if you want to do '1/0' you'd need to find an 'a' such that '0*a = 1', however because 0 has been defined explicitly to be such that this multiplication will always be 0, no matter what 'a' is, you'll get a contradiction. I don't care of its aleph_0 or a aleph_1000000. It will still be a contradiction.

In fact if you accept an exception, any exception, you'd be forced to agree that 0 = 1.

So division by zero remains undefined, otherwise we'd have a contradiction.

No, I'm not sure what kind of language you're using, or what exactly you're describing either. You're basically just taking the limit of 1/x as x goes towards zero from the positive direction. This gives +infinity, and if it had been from the negative direction you'd get -infinity. But those symbols simple represent limits, they're not numbers in and of themselves and can't be treated as such.
                          The contradiction is do to using indeterminate values to make unequal answers. The unequal answers are never true. Only answers which can be shown to be equal.

0 x 1 = 0. 0 x 2 = 0. 0 x 100 = 0. So 0/0 is indeterminate. In an equation should 0/0 occur, its value is defined by the equality. Otherwise 0/0 by itself is indeterminate.

Infinity ∞
                          ∞/∞ = 0/0 = ∞ x 0 = ∞ - ∞ = indeterminate. The rule is equality. If the result is not equal, then it is not correct usage of an indeterminate.

It has been a while. I have to find an example of what I mean.

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                            Um, aren't real numbers practical?
                            Not for measuring phase shift in a three-phase ac circuit, not that that's relevant to the point here. "Practical" here means "approximate."

Yeah, I 'get' the concept but my brain really hates that equation since they are different. It reads as wrong to me - even though I understand why it isn't.
                            Some day I'm going to sit you down and explain to you what "=" really means.

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
                              The most vicious math thread I ever saw was on the old II board.

Topic: Is .9999.... = 1?

Call me jaundiced, but I just can't see this one measuring up.

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
                                Not for measuring phase shift in a three-phase ac circuit, not that that's relevant to the point here. "Practical" here means "approximate."
                                You are taking this waaay too seriously...

Originally posted by lao tzu
                                Some day I'm going to sit you down and explain to you what "=" really means.
                                So it doesn't mean 'the thing on this side of the = is the same as the thing on the other side'? Mrs Brannen lied?!?!?!!

It still looks way wrong. 1 = 2 looks wrong for the same reason. But I do get why one makes some sense...
                                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment