Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Can we discuss this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
    1/x as x->0 doesn't converge to any value.

It depends on how you define what an infinite sum is, but simple progressive addition doesn't produce any convergence.
    Indeed. So again, and hopefully for the last time, if infinite sums can be defined as an operation yet not produce any convergence for some values over which it is defined, why not 1/0?

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      There's an extra "e" in the title. Vowels cost money!
      Oh, that is right, I ceep on frogetting that I cnat spel. You can remove the unnecessary e. Can you? Please.
      Last edited by 37818; 02-01-2015, 06:23 PM.
      . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

• Originally posted by 37818 View Post
        Oh, that is right, I ceep on frogetting that I cnat spel. You can remove the unnecessary e. Can you?
        Why.... it's .. um... GONE!!!!! ShaZAAAAAAAMMMMMM!
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by pancreasman View Post
          Infinity is NOT a number.
          It can be expressed by the symbol ∞.

∞ - ∞ can be equal to 0. But did you know -∞=∞=∞i too.
          . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            Why.... it's .. um... GONE!!!!! ShaZAAAAAAAMMMMMM!
            Thank you.

Comment

• Okay, I'll try again:
              Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
              It depends on how you define what an infinite sum is, but simple progressive addition doesn't produce any convergence. There are other kinds of ways to define the summing of an infinite number of terms and interestingly they all give 1/4 for the above sum. Euler demonstrated this by defining a new type of infinite sum of terms as the following
              You do realise what my point is, right? I am asking why we can't extend the definition of division to include 1/0. You're telling me that mathematicians have extended the definition of addition numerous times (which, incidentally, I'm not unaware of); that does not form objection but precedent.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paprika View Post
                Indeed. So again, and hopefully for the last time, if infinite sums can be defined as an operation yet not produce any convergence for some values over which it is defined, why not 1/0?
                Because a*0 = 0, for all a, no matter what a is. However in order to divide a number you need a*b = 1. And if you want to define 1/0 by the limit of 1/x, you'd want it to converge to one and only one result. You can do this for some of those irregular series, where using Ramanujan, or Abel summation you'd get some finite value... the same isn't true for 1/x for x->0, there you can get any result except that |1/x| -> infinity in all cases.

1/0 is undefined.

Comment

• 1/0 could be given the output: NaN ∞ or ∞ NaN or error NaN ∞.

Then everybody can be happy or mad, or what ever.

But really what is the true answer? There is none. Or ∞. Or NaN. [NaN = "Not a Number"]

Comment

It can be expressed by the symbol ∞.

∞ - ∞ can be equal to 0. But did you know -∞=∞=∞i too.
                    You're using that symbol as if it were a number, but it isn't.

Comment

Because a*0 = 0, for all a, no matter what a is. However in order to divide a number you need a*b = 1. And if you want to define 1/0 by the limit of 1/x, you'd want it to converge to one and only one result. You can do this for some of those irregular series, where using Ramanujan, or Abel summation you'd get some finite value... the same isn't true for 1/x for x->0, there you can get any result except that |1/x| -> infinity in all cases.

1/0 is undefined.
                      That is what has been decided. As I had noted, ∞=-∞. That is not accepted. I have my reasons for believing that it is true.

Do an inverse graph. 1 to the center being ∞. -1 is on one side, and 1 is on the to other. y = 5. The line crosses -∞ +∞ being the same point.

Comment

• Originally posted by pancreasman View Post
                        You're using that symbol as if it were a number, but it isn't.
                        So its use should be disallowed.

Comment

x/(x + 1) = 1 for example.
                          (multiply both sides by (x + 1))
                          x = x + 1
                          (divided both sides by x)
                          x/x = x/x + 1/x
                          1 = 1 + 1/x
                          (subtract one from both sides)
                          0 = 1/x
                          (1/∞ = 0)
                          x = ∞
                          Again, you're treating infinity as a number which is improper as its only defined in terms of limits, not in terms of algebraic operations.

Here's how you'd do that equation properly. We desire to find an x belonging to the real numbers, fulfilling the following property you've given. This is typically written like

We'll do some algebraic manipulations here, since if the above expression is fulfilled by any x, then these following equations must be fulfilled as well, and be true.

Multiplying by (x+1) we get

However this implies that

Which is always false, but since we've only used valid algebraic operations, then our first sentence must be false, reducto ad absurdum. It becomes then its antithesis

And in fact its trivial to show that this result can be extended to any system of numbers where you can do multiplication and division like in the reals, complex numbers etc... called fields.

If you assert that the equation has a solution, any solution, then you assert that "0 = 1".

However its quite possible to show that as you make x larger and larger there is a definite limit to the equation

However notice the subtle distinction here. You were using infinity as an algebraic object, where as here its a symbol that means that we're constantly picking an ever larger x, and that the equation continously gets closer and closer... in fact arbitrarily close to 1. There's a very precise way of defining such a limit, but it would require a discussion of what continuity means. Safe to say that it avoids ever mentioning the word infinity, and the 'lim' with x -> ∞ just becomes a neat short hand for something that would otherwise be long, dry, repetitive and boring to write out.

OK. I respect your answers. I really do. I have come to some of these ideas that are not accepted as correct, for a long time. It does not mean I cannot learn. Or for that matter change my mind. Honestly, I dislike being wrong. To the best of my ability, as limited as it might even be [do to ignorance], I choose to believe what true, when I can understand it to be true.
                          That's okay, I don't want you to be convinced just because I say so. I'm kinda hoping you'd see the neat logic of it. There's reason why these ways of doing it became standard. Maybe your way could make more sense, but it seems to me that you keep missing certain things, and you tend to justify your logic by reference to how calculators you've used tend to work, rather than what makes sense.
                          Last edited by Leonhard; 02-01-2015, 07:02 PM.

Comment

There's nothing dumb about Teal, but there definitely is something dumb about this post of yours.

Stop turning this thread into a discussion about evolution.
                            I didn't say she was "dumb".

Do you know the meaning of "incredulous"?

No? I didn't think so.

Incredible.

K54

P.S. I despise Fundies.

Comment

1/0 could be given the output: NaN ∞ or ∞ NaN or error NaN ∞.

Then everybody can be happy or mad, or what ever.

But really what is the true answer? There is none. Or ∞. Or NaN. [NaN = "Not a Number"]
                              NaN

You can't divide by 0, so the result is not a number.

Comment

So its use should be disallowed.
                                So you think all mathematical symbols represent numbers?

Remarkable...

K54

Comment