Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Not science, but rather ideology.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jorge View Post
    Those of you that have been at TWeb for a while have heard me say it scores of times:
    "Much of what is today sold as science is actually ideology - belief! - sold to the masses as "science". And people believe it because it comes with the authoritative credentials of individuals and institutions."

Look, it's all very simple: the average 'Joe' does not even comprehend a lot of the "science" that he hears about, much less critically analyze what it's saying and the ramifications.

Jorge
    Just as an aside - tangentially connected to 'science' - I found an interesting headline this morning.

My (Biblical Creationist) science is easily able to explain this event - one just has to know what God says about Israel. The 'science' of the Materialist would have no explanation for this event and would likely pooh-pooh it as "irrational superstition". Yet undeniable is the fact that the people saying this are there, in person, observing the actual events first-hand. So which science is superior ... who shall we believe?

"

FROM: http://www.wnd.com/2014/07/their-god...yZBdYtD3Z7G.99

Interesting stuff!

Jorge

Comment

Originally posted by phank View Post
      Where Jorge goes off the rails is in equating the lack of any need to understand the evolutionary history (for some purposes), with the nonexistence of any evolutionary history. Kind of like saying "I have no need to know where my car was manufactured, therefore I don't know where it was manufactured, therefore it was not manufactured at all but was rather miraculously brought into being all at once and nothing first.
      That is so utterly preposterous, so out-of-this-galaxy-wacky, that I am left speechless.

Jorge

Comment

My (Biblical Creationist) science is easily able to explain this event

Jorge
        Since your (Biblical Creationist) science consists 100% of you pulling things out of your butt, of course it can "explain" anything and everything.

Comment

Just as an aside - tangentially connected to 'science' - I found an interesting headline this morning.

My (Biblical Creationist) science is easily able to explain this event - one just has to know what God says about Israel. The 'science' of the Materialist would have no explanation for this event and would likely pooh-pooh it as "irrational superstition". Yet undeniable is the fact that the people saying this are there, in person, observing the actual events first-hand. So which science is superior ... who shall we believe?

“As one of the terrorists from Gaza was reported to say when asked why they couldn’t aim
          their rockets more effectively: “We do aim them, but their God changes their path in mid-air.”"

Interesting stuff!

Jorge
          Your point is not clear.

Why would the remark of a medieval-minded terrorist be of any value?

The fact that Hamas are incompetent schmucks is a better "naturalistic" reason.

K54
          Last edited by klaus54; 07-24-2014, 01:15 PM.

Comment

“As one of the terrorists from Gaza was reported to say when asked why they couldn’t aim
            their rockets more effectively: “We do aim them, but their God changes their path in mid-air.”"

Interesting stuff!

Jorge
            I thought you had admitted that Biblical Creationism wasn't science?

K54

Comment

Originally posted by klaus54 View Post
              I thought you had admitted that Biblical Creationism wasn't science?

K54
              You remind me of Terror, making one logical fallacy after another. Here, for example, your fallacy is that of Equivocation. I have indeed said (and maintain) that Biblical Creationism is not science any more than Materialism or Theistic Evolutionism are science. Our science is a PART of Biblical Creationism, not the same thing as Biblical Creationism (in the same sense as Mathematics is a part of Epistemology, not the same thing as Epistemology). Additionally, Biblical Creationist science is not the same 'science' as that of the Materialist or yours. The Biblical Creationist science is more encompassing and is based on a different set of presuppositions from that of Materialism. Your 'science' is restricted to the material domain and, as such, is limited, incomplete and, therefore, more prone to error.

No charge for the lesson.

Jorge

Comment

You remind me of Terror, making one logical fallacy after another. Here, for example, your fallacy is that of Equivocation. I have indeed said (and maintain) that Biblical Creationism is not science any more than Materialism or Theistic Evolutionism are science. Our science is a PART of Biblical Creationism, not the same thing as Biblical Creationism (in the same sense as Mathematics is a part of Epistemology, not the same thing as Epistemology). Additionally, Biblical Creationist science is not the same 'science' as that of the Materialist or yours. The Biblical Creationist science is more encompassing and is based on a different set of presuppositions from that of Materialism. Your 'science' is restricted to the material domain and, as such, is limited, incomplete and, therefore, more prone to error.

No charge for the lesson.

Jorge
                When I asked you to give the Biblical "Scientific" Creationist interpretation of the first few verses of Genesis -- you refused, saying you could but you wouldn't because we weren't worthy.

Then you admitted the above, that Biblical "Scientific" Creationism wasn't a "science" just like "materialism" isn't a science.

Didn't make sense then. Doesn't make sense now.

You DO know what science is, don't you?

And using the Hamas terrorist's quote as some kind of "proof" of God's protection of Israel in a Biblically "scientific" manner is simply risible.

The "naturalist, materialist" explanation is far more realistic. 1) Hamas incompetence + 2) the IDF's "iron dome" defense.

Well, at least you tried another tack for a change.

K54

Comment

Apparently "Biblical Creationist Science" can throw in miracles as explanations whenever the need arises.

Far out!

K54

Comment

As one of the terrorists from Gaza was reported to say when asked why they couldn’t aim
                    their rockets more effectively:
                    [I]“We do aim them, but their God changes their path in mid-air.”[/I]"

Interesting stuff!

Jorge
                    Wouldn't that be the result of Israel's Iron Dome?
                    -The universe begins to look more like a great thought than a great machine.
                    Sir James Jeans

-This most beautiful system (The Universe) could only proceed from the dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being.All variety of created objects which represent order and Life in the Universe could happen only by the willful reasoning of its original Creator, whom I call the Lord God.
                    Sir Isaac Newton

Comment

Originally posted by Quantum Weirdness View Post
                      No reliable source for the story seems to exist. It's just another of those net traps for the gullible.
                      1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                      Scripture before Tradition:
                      but that won't prevent others from
                      taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                      of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by Quantum Weirdness View Post
                        Not if you ask Hamas. Iron Dome has had success but the defensive results appear to be statistically greater than what Iron Dome is able to account for (hence the remark "... God changes their path.").

Jorge

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                          No reliable source for the story seems to exist. It's just another of those net traps for the gullible.
                          Assuming that you are right about there not being a reliable source, it's then up to each of us personally to decide whether to grant it some validity or not. From what I know, I choose to grant it some validity just as I choose to grant zero validity to Eastern philosophies (again, based on what I know). You choose not to grant this story any validity. Fine, have a nice day.

Jorge

Comment

Originally posted by klaus54 View Post
                            Apparently "Biblical Creationist Science" can throw in miracles as explanations whenever the need arises.

Far out!

K54
                            That is an absolutely ridiculous statement and you know it.
                            There is ample reason for me to avoid any discussions with you.
                            You seem to be fond of reminding me of this at every opportunity.
                            I guess I ought to thank you for those reminders.

Jorge

Comment

Originally posted by HMS_Beagle View Post
                              Not "a" science but a scientific theory supported by consilient scientific evidence from hundreds of different scientific fields.

That makes it science. Period.
                              It does. But it doesn't make it "a" science. Likewise, Brooklyn being part if the City of New York doesn't make Brooklyn "a" city; and Valentine steak braised with paprika and diced onions is definitely lamb, but not "a" lamb.

Klaus and you are misunderstanding Omni's serendipitous invocation of the fallacy of division.

Roy
                              Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                              MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                                It does. But it doesn't make it "a" science. Likewise, Brooklyn being part if the City of New York doesn't make Brooklyn "a" city; and Valentine steak braised with paprika and diced onions is definitely lamb, but not "a" lamb.

Klaus and you are misunderstanding Omni's serendipitous invocation of the fallacy of division.

Roy
                                I didn't say evolution was "a" science. In fact I said just the opposite. I think you didn't read Klaus' and my posts very well.

Comment