Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The book Darwin Devolves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post
    Well, one duplication (or a few) in all of a plant's evolutionary history would indeed seem to be a rare event.
    You claimed whole genome duplications "were few in plants", but cited a source that said there were so many of them they existed in every flowering plant's genome.

What you think is irrelevant.
    Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
    MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Behe does examine a wide spectrum of animals, showing gene loss, but a more general search would be helpful. You might consider sending Michael Behe an email, he does respond to some emails.
      You've only showed that Behe looks for instances gene loss; you'd expect him to find that. What you haven't shown is any instances of him looking at total gene count.

I'm also not going to email him, because:
      1. I've already looked into mammalian genomes, and i know he's wrong.
      2. I've already looked at Behe's past responses, and i know he's just going to claim he's right anyway.

Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post
      Well, certainly, but further work has been done, confirming the trend:

Source: Darwin Devolves

Several of the workers from the same group recently tested a more complex system, in which two different species of bacteria indirectly competed with each other, and showed that E. coli could adapt by damaging any of several genes.

© Copyright Original Source

What does this show? Changes in a single environment.

What were we talking about? Change in variety of environmental conditions.

Please, put some effort into keeping track of your own arguments.

Right, but given all the tree, evolution is expected to produce lower-order branches first.
      what part of "not possible" isn't clear?

Or do you have some definition of "lower order" that's unrelated to its typical meaning?
      "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
        Not only does Michael Behe not grasp this, but Stephen Meyer doesn't grasp it either. It's not surprising that Lee gets it the wrong way round when this error permeates the DI writings.
        Interesting. I'd always viewed Meyer as a complete charlatan, but thought that Behe was mostly lying to himself, and just taking others along for the ride incidentally.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheLurch View Post
          What does this show? Changes in a single environment.

What were we talking about? Change in variety of environmental conditions.
          So examining changes in a variety of environments can give an indication of evolution's performance in a variety of conditions.

what part of "not possible" isn't clear?

Or do you have some definition of "lower order" that's unrelated to its typical meaning?
          I mean that evolution is expected to produce a sequence of small variation, accumulating to large variations. But we see large changes in the fossil record, that are not preceded by small incremental variation.

Blessings,
          Lee
          "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

• [QUOTE=lee_merrill;623469]So examining changes in a variety of environments can give an indication of evolution's performance in a variety of conditions.

I mean that evolution is expected to produce a sequence of small variation, accumulating to large variations. But we see large changes in the fossil record, that are not preceded by small incremental variation.

Blessings,
            Lee
            Evolution does not produce anything, nor particularly 'sequences of small nor large variations.' Genetic mutations produce the sequences of variations that result in the genetic diversity in populations over time. Evolution results in the change in the genetic diversity in the populations due to the changes in the environment.

Remember evolution takes place over millions or hundreds of thousands of years.

Comment

So examining changes in a variety of environments can give an indication of evolution's performance in a variety of conditions.
              Critically, it can tell us whether a mutation is generally adaptive, or only adaptive to a very specific and limited set of conditions.

Again, an example is the hypermutator mutations that eliminate proofreading during DNA replication. Those aren't generally adaptive, since we don't see them in the wild. But they often pop up in lab experiments.

Well, that's not what the terms you used mean.

And in any case, the statement is only partially true; sometimes we see lots of incremental variation, like the origins of tetrapods or whales.

Comment

And in any case, the statement is only partially true; sometimes we see lots of incremental variation, like the origins of tetrapods or whales.
                Yup - I once said to my daughter that evolution is pretty much proven on the level of species (cats for example developing into different kinds of cats), but at the family level (non cat becoming cat), nothing had been shown to demonstrate the possibility. Lo and behold, a few years later ...

If nothing else shows one family becoming a different family, whales certainly do. The developmental sequence is compelling - it's almost like watching a film of a developing foetus.
                1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                Scripture before Tradition:
                but that won't prevent others from
                taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Parts two and three of Behe's response to his Lehigh colleagues are up...

Blessings,
                  Lee
                  "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

Critically, it can tell us whether a mutation is generally adaptive, or only adaptive to a very specific and limited set of conditions.
                    Well, we can also spot trends by examining many examples.

But the trend in evolution is large changes, followed by small ones, hence "punctuated equilibrium".

Blessings,
                    Lee

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                      If nothing else shows one family becoming a different family, whales certainly do. The developmental sequence is compelling - it's almost like watching a film of a developing foetus.
                      And Behe acknowledges that families can become different families...

Blessings,
                      Lee

Comment

And Behe acknowledges that families can become different families...

Blessings,
                        Lee
                        Not meaningful and a bit confusing. Needs explanation as to what Behe acknowledges, since he does not acknowledge evolution.

Comment

Meaningless.

But the trend in evolution is large changes, followed by small ones, hence "punctuated equilibrium".

Blessings,
                          Lee
                          Simply No.

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                            Yup - I once said to my daughter that evolution is pretty much proven on the level of species (cats for example developing into different kinds of cats), but at the family level (non cat becoming cat), nothing had been shown to demonstrate the possibility. Lo and behold, a few years later ...

The detailed step by step evolution of birds is also a very good example.

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                              The detailed step by step evolution of birds is also a very good example.
                              So? Is there a resource that someone with no background in the relevant sciences could understand?
                              1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                              Scripture before Tradition:
                              but that won't prevent others from
                              taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                              of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Only if the examples are relevant. Lots of examples that aren't relevant (like, say, these) won't tell us of a relevant trend.

Really? How can you demonstrate this is a trend, and not just that there are examples of both?

NB: quoting a couple of guys as saying it is is not a demonstration.

Comment