Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Specified complexity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post
    Correct, the definition does not preclude the falsification of the hypothesis of design--and how can a hypothesis be circular?

Blessings,
    Lee
    No, but without a falsifiable hypothesis the assumption match the conclusions, followed by repeated 'IFs.'

Without any falsifiable hypothesis, the hypothesis dies, you know natural selection.

Comment

I would say no, because the red/blue shifts are not conditionally independent of the events (the existence of planets).
      Then gene sequences are not conditionally independent of the events (the existence if DNA), and gene sequences are not specified and complex.
      But gene sequences are independent of the existence of DNA, the fact that DNA exists does not determine the sequence of nucleotides.
      Asking you to back up your assertions is a waste of time, but I'll ask anyway just to demonstrate once again how much of a fraud you are:

Where are the gene sequences that exist independently of the existence of DNA, in a way that doesn't also occur for red/blue shift patterns and astronomical objects?
      Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
      MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
        Where are the gene sequences that exist independently of the existence of DNA, in a way that doesn't also occur for red/blue shift patterns and astronomical objects?
        Gene sequences are not determined by the existence of DNA, but red/blue shifts are determined by the existence of planets.

Blessings,
        Lee
        "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
          No, but without a falsifiable hypothesis the assumption match the conclusions, followed by repeated 'IFs.'
          But the hypothesis of design is falsifiable.

Blessings,
          Lee
          "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

Blessings,
            Lee
            Actually no, hypothesis of (Intelligent) Design is not falsifiable, because the hypothesis would have to falsify the negative and demonstrate that the cause of the nature of our physical existence and life is not possible as caused by the Laws of Nature and and nature of our physical existence.

Virtually all the proposals Intelligent Design such as the argument of irreducible complexity against the forming of flagellum by natural evolution fails, because scientific research has demonstrated how the flagellum can evolve naturally. No hypothesis has been presented that could falsify that it did not form naturally

This compounded by the fact that the Discovery Institute has failed to come put with anything remotely a falsifiable hypothesis. The attempts to falsify the negative is just 'arguing from ignorance.'
            Last edited by shunyadragon; 02-07-2019, 08:26 PM.

Comment

How?
              "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment

But gene sequences are independent of the existence of DNA, the fact that DNA exists does not determine the sequence of nucleotides.
                Asking you to back up your assertions is a waste of time, but I'll ask anyway just to demonstrate once again how much of a fraud you are:

Gene sequences are not determined by the existence of DNA, but red/blue shifts are determined by the existence of planets.
                Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                  The problem is with the odd wording by lee_merrill

Originally posted by lee_merrill
                  Gene sequences are not determined by the existence of DNA
                  Of course it is true that; "Gene sequences are not determined by the existence of DNA." but when you think about it this is a meaningless statement.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLurch View Post
                    How?
                    The hypothesis of design is falsified if it does not pass (for instance) Dembski's explanatory filter.

Blessings,
                    Lee

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
                      The gene sequences are statistically independent of the existence of DNA, we're not talking about independent existence.

Blessings,
                      Lee

Comment

• Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post
                        The gene sequences are statistically independent of the existence of DNA, we're not talking about independent existence.

Blessings,
                        Lee
                        As before this does not make any sense. Needs a coherent explanation. The gene sequences are the nature of DNA.

Comment

The hypothesis of design is falsified if it does not pass (for instance) Dembski's explanatory filter.

Blessings,
                          Lee
                          Nothing has not been found not to pass Dembski's explanatory filter. The problem remains Dembski's explanatory filter remains unfalsifiable, because you cannot falsify the negative that the Laws of Nature and natural processes CANNOT explain complexity.

Comment

That's not how science and falsification work. Falsification is evidence based, not "does it pass an arbitrary definition?" You don't choose something as a definition of design with no supporting evidence for it, then say things that don't pass it aren't designed.

You're trying to do the equivalent of the following:
                            You define mammals as having fur/hair.
                            You look at whales.
                            You determine that the hypothesis of whales being mammals is falsified.

Here in reality, "mammals" is a concept that includes both features and shared evolutionary history, based on multiple lines of evidence. And you can look at things like DNA and fossil evidence to clearly show that whales are mammals, even if they don't neatly fit all the characteristic features of mammals.
                            "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment

• Originally posted by TheLurch View Post
                              Falsification is evidence based, not "does it pass an arbitrary definition?" You don't choose something as a definition of design with no supporting evidence for it, then say things that don't pass it aren't designed.
                              But Dembski's explanatory filter is an encapsulation of our intuitive notions about design, it is not arbitrary.

Blessings,
                              Lee

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                                Nothing has not been found not to pass Dembski's explanatory filter.
                                Lots of things do not pass the filter, if a law or chance explains an event, it is not designed.

Blessings,
                                Lee

Comment