Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

What do those Nobel people know anyway?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kbertsche View Post
    The physicist's "nothing" is not the same as the philosopher's "nothing".
    Well actually Vilenkin's nothing is nothing, except the laws of physics.

. That is as close to nothing as you can get, but what is still required here is the laws of physics. So the laws of physics should still be there, and they are definitely not nothing.

http://now.tufts.edu/articles/beginning-was-beginning
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
      Well actually Vilenkin's nothing is nothing, except the laws of physics.
      I have no idea why, but I keep looking at your avatar and thinking "shunyadragon".

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
        I have no idea why, but I keep looking at your avatar and thinking "shunyadragon".

Oh crap, that was a famous painting by James Whistler - now I have to change it!
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Oh crap, that was a famous painting by James Whistler - now I have to change it!
          Now you look like a girl!

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            Now you look like a girl!
            That is what a bigoted cis male would say!

Comment

aw shucks. It was nothing.

(there, back on topic)

Comment

cissy

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  cissy
                  A gal just can't catch a break!

Comment

Not to derail the discussion of Seer's gender, but the World Science Festival did a program on nothing a few years back, and has posted the entire thing online for all to enjoy.

"Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment

Originally posted by TheLurch View Post
                      And i think many of the physicists he's quoting would agree with you. Nothing as we've traditionally defined it has been the vacuum of empty space. We now know that that has fields and virtual particles in it. So we can redefine nothing to mean space without those if we wanted (not that i'm sure we could define what that is). But ultimately it's a matter of semantics at this point - as long as you understand what the underlying physics tells us, nobody really cares what you decide to call it.
                      Even empty space without those fields and virtual particles is not nothing. Nothing is no thing at all.
                      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by TheLurch View Post
                        Not to derail the discussion of Seer's gender, but the World Science Festival did a program on nothing a few years back, and has posted the entire thing online for all to enjoy.

So basically nothing is something...

Comment

So basically nothing is something...
                          As Vilenkin, Krauss, Guth and Hawking propose this is the nature of the Quantum world, Quantum nothing is something.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                            As Vilenkin, Krauss, Guth and Hawking propose this is the nature of the Quantum world, Quantum nothing is something.
                            Again Shuny, stop lying, that is not what Vilenkin says. Lurch's link was about empty space, the nothing in empty space is something. Vilenkin's nothing is no space, with only the laws of physics.

because the nothing that we were referring to here is the absence of matter, space and time. That is as close to nothing as you can get, but what is still required here is the laws of physics. So the laws of physics should still be there, and they are definitely not nothing.

http://now.tufts.edu/articles/beginning-was-beginning

Comment

Again Shuny, stop lying, that is not what Vilenkin says. Lurch's link was about empty space, the nothing in empty space is something. Vilenkin's nothing is no space, with only the laws of physics.
                              I don't think you should accuse Shuny of lying. It's far more likely he misunderstood what's being argued.
                              Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                              sigpic
                              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                                I don't think you should accuse Shuny of lying. It's far more likely he misunderstood what's being argued.
                                I understand what is being argued and yes, I am not lying. Vilenkin, Krauss, Guth and Hawking all consider the Quantum nothing to be without time, space and matter except for the momentary existence of virtual particles. The Quantum vacuum is a result of Natural Law. They all agree that our universe and all possible universes spontaneously begin from this Quantum nothing. They all agree that total energy = 0 in our universe, all possible universes and possible multiverses, and Quantum nothing. the Quantum nothing and Natural Laws are the cause of the behavior of the Quantum world of nothing, and no other cause is necessary. They all agree that the Quantum nothing is something, and not absolutely nothing.

The video presented by Lurch confirms this.
                                Last edited by shunyadragon; 10-27-2017, 10:56 AM.

Comment