Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Bill Nye The Idiot Guy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• But you didn't answer my question, you just reiterated that you won't believe in such unless there is such evidence found.

I already know that.

Jim
    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
      reallyreally
      what the hell are you even talking about, Tassman?

I was giving you hypothetical situation where you had absolute proof of God and asked what you would do. You said you still would not believe. end of story.

Comment

If there was multiply-tested, peer-reviewed verifiable evidence of a supernatural realm existing then one would obviously accept the possibly of gods, angels and other immaterial beings.
        Wait. So you are saying that if God appeared to you and did verifiable miracles for you personally that you would not believe it, but you would believe other people who tell you THEY had verified some evidence that God exists? That basically you would be accepting eyewitness testimony? Over your OWN experience that was verified?

NUeVFnL.gif

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          Wait. So you are saying that if God appeared to you and did verifiable miracles for you personally that you would not believe it, but you would believe other people who tell you THEY had verified some evidence that God exists? That basically you would be accepting eyewitness testimony? Over your OWN experience that was verified?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23068[/ATTACH]
          Ahem - peer-reviewed work is not the same as eyewitness testimony.

But yes, he did just say that he would believe what some-one else reported, but not what he saw for himself.

Why are so many people afraid to critically examine their own ideas?
          Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
          MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
            Ahem - peer-reviewed work is not the same as eyewitness testimony.
            yeah I know. what I was getting at was that he rejected anyone believing eye-witness testimony as unreliable nonsense, yet he would be taking someone else's word for the fact that it was a fact just the same.

But yes, he did just say that he would believe what some-one else reported, but not what he saw for himself.
            yep.
            I don't know. plus I suggested that the miracle God did for him could be verified by others. He could have had "peer-review" of his personal experience and yet he still rejected it. I think he just wants to sound open-minded and scientific by spouting his peer-review criteria when he has already admitted that he will not accept anything of the sort.

Comment

I don't think there is a simple answer - but I do think that in most cases it boils down to the cost of being wrong. We base our decisions about how to live life, what careers to pursue, who to marry, what to eat on what we believe is true. Some of the things we believe are so completely fundamental to who we are that to discover they are false can completely derail us, render the majority of our life and possibly our life's work meaningless. You hear about people that were molested as youngsters, but they didn't know that is what it was. Then later in life they find out. And it can be devastating. Some people can't recover. What they believed about themselves and the person or people involved comes completely crashing down. And sometimes people would rather to have never known than to have faced the truth.

This is one reason I take great offense at how some people approach these conversations. They have no idea how devastating it can be to derail another person's worldview or system of belief (though because it can be completely devastating many we talk to have built sufficiently strong compensating walls they are in no real danger of ending up in that state). There is no compassion or understanding. One can't just take out another person's whole life and expect they will be ok. We understand that physically - but it's just as true in the realm of belief. And just because one told them 'the truth' doesn't remove the consequence.

Sometimes what people believe is very destructive to themselves and to others. That's when a soft approach just isn't feasable. Sometimes I think some atheists think of religion that way. I know many religious folks see atheism that way. Sometimes if what one believes is true is in fact true, then action is required - otherwise we are hypocrites. But what if we take action that is potentially destructive and find out later what we believed was in fact wrong?

Jim
              My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                I don't think there is a simple answer - but I do think that in most cases it boils down to the cost of being wrong. We base our decisions about how to live life, what careers to pursue, who to marry, what to eat on what we believe is true. Some of the things we believe are so completely fundamental to who we are that to discover they are false can completely derail us, render the majority of our life and possibly our life's work meaningless. You hear about people that were molested as youngsters, but they didn't know that is what it was. Then later in life they find out. And it can be devastating. Some people can't recover. What they believed about themselves and the person or people involved comes completely crashing down. And sometimes people would rather to have never known than to have faced the truth.

This is one reason I take great offense at how some people approach these conversations. They have no idea how devastating it can be to derail another person's worldview or system of belief (though because it can be completely devastating many we talk to have built sufficiently strong compensating walls they are in no real danger of ending up in that state). There is no compassion or understanding. One can't just take out another person's whole life and expect they will be ok. We understand that physically - but it's just as true in the realm of belief. And just because one told them 'the truth' doesn't remove the consequence.

Sometimes what people believe is very destructive to themselves and to others. That's when a soft approach just isn't feasable. Sometimes I think some atheists think of religion that way. I know many religious folks see atheism that way. Sometimes if what one believes is true is in fact true, then action is required - otherwise we are hypocrites. But what if we take action that is potentially destructive and find out later what we believed was in fact wrong?

Jim

Except once they do accept Christ, they don't feel devastated, they feel liberated. They don't want their old life. But yeah change is scary.

Comment

Except once they do accept Christ, they don't feel devastated, they feel liberated. They don't want their old life. But yeah change is scary.
                  Yes - this is one of the reasons we continue to believe - the change He makes in our lives. But unless one accepts that as real, one can't really see that.

OTOH, many that are Christians do not appropriate that same liberation as regards what they believe to be true. They act as if their salvation depends on 'getting everything right' and they can no more ask questions about what they believe to be true than the non-believer. Sometimes worse. Many times worse. For some that are Christians, to ask a question, especially in regard to faith, is to doubt Christ entirely and it simply can't be tolerated. For some, not to have all the answers wrapped up in a neat little bow and never question that package is to not believe at all.

Jim

Comment

snip

snip
                    Actually he said that if one had incontrovertible evidence "one would obviously accept the possibly of gods"
                    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

snip
                      It was critically examining my own ideas that ended up with my becoming a Christian.
                      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                        Actually he said that if one had incontrovertible evidence "one would obviously accept the possibly of gods"
                        Actually he said that if one had "multiply-tested, peer-reviewed verifiable evidence", which isn't quite the same as incontrovertible.

But it just means he would accept the possibly [sic] of supernatural beings based on reports by others, but not if he saw them himself.

Weird.
                        Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                        MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Actually he said that if one had "multiply-tested, peer-reviewed verifiable evidence", which isn't quite the same as incontrovertible.

But it just means he would accept the possibly [sic] of supernatural beings based on reports by others, but not if he saw them himself.

Weird.

You realize, with those criteria, he shouldn't accept your individual existence. Actually, he shouldn't be accepting the existence of any other humans behind these posts - the criteria isn't met.

No, it's not a ding so much as an observation - it's his criteria and he has every right to set the criteria he will accept for his own purposes. But setting ridiculous bars isn't 'open minded' or particularly reasonable.
                          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Wait. So you are saying that if God appeared to you and did verifiable miracles for you personally that you would not believe it,
                            We call such "verifiable" miracles delusions.

but you would believe other people who tell you THEY had verified some evidence that God exists? That basically you would be accepting eyewitness testimony? Over your OWN experience that was verified?
                            That's not what I'm saying.

Unless scientific evidence of a supernatural universe can be established, as per the existence of the natural universe, then the question of miracles does not arise. One would seek a natural explanation for these seemingly, but not actual, supernatural events.

This really should not be so difficult for you to understand.

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                              But you didn't answer my question, you just reiterated that you won't believe in such unless there is such evidence found.

I already know that. Jim
                              Good. Then you know my answer.

Comment

Good. Then you know my answer.
                                No - I don't.

But I do know a bit more about the kind of person you are.

Jim

Comment