Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The bigger picture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post

Were those Gallic and German soldiers referred to as miles?
    She has raised that point previously and I asked the same question only for it to be ignored.

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
    The translation provided states that Spartacus progressed from mercenary to soldier. Feel free to provide a citation of a translation that says otherwise.
    She appears unable or unwilling to differentiate between the two whereas Florio makes a clear distinction.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      Coming from someone who typically loads her posts with irrelevant information in an attempt to show you "know stuff" whenever you cannot address a point that was raised, this is hilariously ironic.

Look him up. He had quite the impressive career. Particular that battle where they were outnumbered something like 12 to 1 and where he became Primus Pilus was awarded a pile of cash and any of the men in his cohort that survived were given double pay for life.

He makes Rambo look like a pussycat.
      Ah so you were just trying to appear informed. I was right.
      "It ain't necessarily so
      The things that you're liable
      To read in the Bible
      It ain't necessarily so
      ."

Sportin' Life
      Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

Ah so you were just trying to appear informed. I was right.
        You haven't been right for the entire thread. It's hilarious.

Comment

• It never ceases to amaze me the extent to which we can argue endlessly over such small and irrelevant details.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            It never ceases to amaze me the extent to which we can argue endlessly over such small and irrelevant details.
            Yeah. I could be watching cartoons.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Yeah. I could be watching cartoons.
              By the way, Einstein believed in God.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Oooookay. Roadrunner it is.

Comment

Comment

a god.
                    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                    Scripture before Tradition:
                    but that won't prevent others from
                    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Which means that Spartacus would not have been the tributary - that would be some kind of governing official who provided auxiliaries/maniples, and Spartacus would have been one of their number.

I was pointing out that Spartacus, on the basis of the text, could not have been included in the second definition (as explained above.)

It is an interpretation that fits the provided translation, "a mercenary soldier" does not.

The dictionary definitions that I have seen for stipendiarius do not extend to far enough to accommodate that reading. Feel free to provide a citation from a dictionary that does.

Feel free to provide an academic source which shows that a mercenary could be termed "miles."

Were those Gallic and German soldiers referred to as miles?

The translation provided states that Spartacus progressed from mercenary to soldier. Feel free to provide a citation of a translation that says otherwise.
                      Where are you actually going with all this?

If you are contending that because he was a soldier and in the army, it therefore follows that Spartacus was a Roman citizen, kindly provide some attested historical source in support of that contention.

"It ain't necessarily so
                      The things that you're liable
                      To read in the Bible
                      It ain't necessarily so
                      ."

Sportin' Life
                      Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

a god.
                        It all depends. Cause in some cases it's capitalized, indicating the Supreme Being, and reference is often made thereto.

HOWEVER, I'm pleased to concede that Einstein believed in a god which made him wonder about how HE created the word, and if HE could have done it differently.

Comment

He got away again.

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                            This thread has nothing to do with Natural Science.

Bacon stuffer and silly cartoons?!?!?!?

Nasa’s James Webb Space Telescope captures stunning image of Cartwheel Galaxy with rotating arms

74ed611e-1fd9-4163-bcf1-2d103493219b.jpg
                            The Cartwheel Galaxy took on its magnificent shape when a larger spiral galaxy collided with a smaller galaxy about 400million years ago, Nasa reports.

The high-speed, high-impact collision gave the Cartwheel Galaxy its concentric and spoked look.

In previous captures by the Hubble Telescope, the spokes of the Cartwheel Galaxy were visible, but not with the sharpness and clarity the JWST delivers.

Comment

Nasa’s James Webb Space Telescope captures stunning image of Cartwheel Galaxy with rotating arms

74ed611e-1fd9-4163-bcf1-2d103493219b.jpg
                              The Cartwheel Galaxy took on its magnificent shape when a larger spiral galaxy collided with a smaller galaxy about 400million years ago, Nasa reports.

The high-speed, high-impact collision gave the Cartwheel Galaxy its concentric and spoked look.

In previous captures by the Hubble Telescope, the spokes of the Cartwheel Galaxy were visible, but not with the sharpness and clarity the JWST delivers.
                              So what?!?!?! The pictures in and of themselves have nothing to do with the trashy non-scientific banter and content of the thread.

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post

So what?!?!?! The pictures in and of themselves have nothing to do with the trashy non-scientific banter and content of the thread.
                                I bet you're a scream at parties.

Comment