Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Molecular phylogeny - a problem instead of a solution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post
    Yes, let's do that--starting with molecular phylogeny of metazoan phyla.

Please give me the specifics.
    I listed a few of your errors just 3 posts prior. You barely even have to scroll. You confused theories and techniques, predictions and results. These are fundamental aspects of science. You got them wrong, and all you care about is just moving on and pretending that none of it ever happened.

It happened. And while I'm waiting to acknowledge that you made significant errors about the process of science, please stop creating a straw man of my arguments.
    Last edited by TheLurch; 03-21-2022, 09:14 PM.
    "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment

Originally posted by TheLurch View Post
      Molecular phylogeny isn't a theory. It's a technique.
      The theory part is the view that organisms can be sorted out by comparison of proteins or genes.

Predictions are not the same as results. Results are what you use to test predictions.
      I meant that the result of a theory is a prediction, in this case that organisms can be successfully organized by their genes.

Finally, you've identified a grand total of two examples. One of them (the bats) can potentially be solved by getting genome sequences - remember that all its issues with molecular phylogeny were based on a limited number of genes. Only the second is a case where scientists have identified a case where the technique does not produce reliable results (rapid diversifications in the distant past). This is not a contradictory result. It's a case where a specific technique doesn't work.
      Well, different trees for an organism or group of organisms, is indeed contradictory.

Blessings,
      Lee
      "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

And while I'm waiting to acknowledge that you made significant errors about the process of science, please stop creating a straw man of my arguments.
        How am I misrepresenting your argument, though?

Blessings,
        Lee
        "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

The theory part is the view that organisms can be sorted out by comparison of proteins or genes.
          I meant that the result of a theory is a prediction, in this case that organisms can be successfully organized by their genes.
          If those are what you meant, then you misspoke earlier, because your words did not convey what you meant. The least you could do is acknowledge that when someone specifically addresses your misstatements, rather than just breezing past that as if none of it ever happened.

In any case, you're still misspeaking, because none of this is theoretical - many trees have been built with high statistical certainty using these methods. It's a fact, not theoretical, and the techniques are a key part of the public health response to coronavirus variants.

How am I misrepresenting your argument, though?
          Everything from "surely you're not saying" down.

Comment

Well, no, a theory is in trouble if it generates contradictory results.

Blessings,
            Lee
            Your view of contradictions is based on an ancient religious agenda, and . . . ah the phoney disengenuous phoney arguing from ignorance. . Contradictions and unknowns in science is the fuel for furthr reasearch.

Comment

I listed a few of your errors just 3 posts prior. You barely even have to scroll. You confused theories and techniques, predictions and results. These are fundamental aspects of science. You got them wrong, and all you care about is just moving on and pretending that none of it ever happened.

It happened. And while I'm waiting to acknowledge that you made significant errors about the process of science, please stop creating a straw man of my arguments.
              I have to wonder how Lee thinks science works. Does he think that if an experiment contradicts the findings of hundreds or even thousands of other experiments that you should therefore throw out those results and start from scratch? Or does he realize that such a finding means that new experiments need to be designed and conducted in order to explain the contradiction?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

If those are what you meant, then you misspoke earlier, because your words did not convey what you meant.
                I think I said what I meant, though.

In any case, you're still misspeaking, because none of this is theoretical - many trees have been built with high statistical certainty using these methods. It's a fact, not theoretical, and the techniques are a key part of the public health response to coronavirus variants.
                A procedure that succeeds in some instances, and fails in others, is still in need of repair.

Everything from "surely you're not saying" down.
                But I asked "how", not "where". I took the four cases you mentioned, and argued that the first three did not apply, thus the fourth one did. This is not a strawman.

Blessings,
                Lee

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  I have to wonder how Lee thinks science works. Does he think that if an experiment contradicts the findings of hundreds or even thousands of other experiments that you should therefore throw out those results and start from scratch? Or does he realize that such a finding means that new experiments need to be designed and conducted in order to explain the contradiction?
                  The second statement, is my view.

Blessings,
                  Lee

Comment

The second statement, is my view.

Blessings,
                    Lee
                    Your prior posts and threads strongly indicate otherwise.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      Your prior posts and threads strongly indicate otherwise.
                      Can you quote me on that? I don't believe I've ever made such a statement.

Blessings,
                      Lee

Comment

I think I said what I meant, though.
                        But you didn't. You said a theory generated results. You then defended that phrasing by saying that theories generate predictions. As if predictions and results are the same.

They are not. Theories, results, and predictions are all key components of science, and they're all very distinct things. You seem to be arguing that some of them are interchangeable. I'm willing to believe that you actually know better than that, but assuming you do, you should be apologizing for your sloppy phrasing when someone calls you out on it, not defending yourself as being correct. If you don't know better, then you shouldn't be arguing at all.

A procedure that succeeds in some instances, and fails in others, is still in need of repair.
                        A procedure that measures quantum effects fails when used on a basketball. Is that in need of repair?

You probably think I'm being pedantic and trying to avoid the issues with the Science paper. I'm not. If we can't agree on how science functions, then we can't come to any agreement on scientific experiments or their implications. We need to sort this out first.

Comment

But you didn't. You said a theory generated results. You then defended that phrasing by saying that theories generate predictions. As if predictions and results are the same.

They are not. Theories, results, and predictions are all key components of science, and they're all very distinct things. You seem to be arguing that some of them are interchangeable. I'm willing to believe that you actually know better than that, but assuming you do, you should be apologizing for your sloppy phrasing when someone calls you out on it, not defending yourself as being correct. If you don't know better, then you shouldn't be arguing at all.
                          I apologize for not being more precise in my phrasing.

A procedure that measures quantum effects fails when used on a basketball. Is that in need of repair?
                          Certainly something is amiss here. But I'm not sure that quantum theory applied to a basketball, and contradictory trees generated by molecular phylogeny, are comparable.

Blessings,
                          Lee

Comment

Certainly something is amiss here. But I'm not sure that quantum theory applied to a basketball, and contradictory trees generated by molecular phylogeny, are comparable.

Blessings,
                            Lee
                            That is due to your lack of knowledge of science blinded by your ancient religious ID agenda.

Comment

. . . than you need to apologize for many years of meaningless threads and posts.

Blessings,
                              Lee
                              Your ignorance extends to the modeling of science through math and chaos theory.

Comment

Can you quote me on that? I don't believe I've ever made such a statement.

Blessings,
                                Lee
                                As I said "indicated" as in how you respond to any new discovery that doesn't immediately fit into the current theory. You've started several threads indicating that evolution is in trouble, needs to be rethought if not abandoned.

Comment