Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

What is the fate of our Sun?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What is the fate of our Sun?

    In recent scientific estimates based on a comparison of other stars and the history of our solar system reveal a catastrophic, but we will be long gone before the fat lady sings the last note.

    Source: https://www.sciencealert.com/scientists-figured-out-how-and-when-our-sun-will-die-and-it-s-going-to-be-epic



    Scientists Figured Out How And When Our Sun Will Die, And It's Going to Be Epic


    MICHELLE STARR
    5 SEPTEMBER 2021

    What will our Sun look like after it dies? Scientists have made predictions about what the end will look like for our Solar System, and when that will happen. And humans won't be around to see the final act.

    Previously, astronomers thought it would turn into a planetary nebula – a luminous bubble of gas and dust – until evidence suggested it would have to be a fair bit more massive.

    An international team of astronomers flipped it again in 2018 and found that a planetary nebula is indeed the most likely Solar corpse.

    The Sun is about 4.6 billion years old – gauged on the age of other objects in the Solar System that formed around the same time. Based on observations of other stars, astronomers predict it will reach the end of its life in about another 10 billion years.

    There are other things that will happen along the way, of course. In about 5 billion years, the Sun is due to turn into a red giant. The core of the star will shrink, but its outer layers will expand out to the orbit of Mars, engulfing our planet in the process. If it's even still there.

    One thing is certain: By that time, we most certainly won't be around. In fact, humanity only has about one billion years left unless we find a way off this rock. That's because the Sun is increasing in brightness by about 10 percent every billion years.

    That doesn't sound like much, but that increase in brightness will end life on Earth. Our oceans will evaporate, and the surface will become too hot for water to form. We'll be about as kaput as you can get.

    It's what comes after the red giant that has proven difficult to pin down. Several previous studies have found that, in order for a bright planetary nebula to form, the initial star needs to have been up to twice as massive as the Sun.

    However, the 2018 study used computer modeling to determine that, like 90 percent of other stars, our Sun is most likely to shrink down from a red giant to become a white dwarf and then end as a planetary nebula.

    "When a star dies it ejects a mass of gas and dust – known as its envelope – into space. The envelope can be as much as half the star's mass. This reveals the star's core, which by this point in the star's life is running out of fuel, eventually turning off and before finally dying," explained astrophysicist Albert Zijlstra from the University of Manchester in the UK, one of the authors on the paper.

    © Copyright Original Source

    Last edited by shunyadragon; 09-06-2021, 08:51 AM.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

    go with the flow the river knows . . .

    Frank

    I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

  • #2
    Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
    Based on observations of other stars, astronomers predict it will reach the end of its life in about another 10 billion years....
    So, construction repairs on I-45 in Texas will have to be completed in the dark?

    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

    Comment


    • #3
      mossy will be looking for a new place to stay.

      I'm always still in trouble again

      "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        mossy will be looking for a new place to stay.
        I will be in heaven. And God is going to destroy the universe in His timing, so the scientists are likely wrong.


        Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by mossrose View Post

          I will be in heaven. And God is going to destroy the universe in His timing, so the scientists are likely wrong.
          And we don't need no cotton-pickin sun in Heaven anyway! So THERE!
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

          Comment


          • #6
            So eventually global warming will be solved.
            When I Survey....

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Faber View Post
              So eventually global warming will be solved.
              Patience, my boy -- just a matter of time.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

                And we don't need no cotton-pickin sun in Heaven anyway! So THERE!
                And once again the scene was changed,
                New earth there seemed to be.
                I saw the Holy City
                Beside the tideless sea.
                The light of God was on its streets,
                The gates were open wide,
                And all who would might enter,
                And no one was denied.
                No need of moon or stars by night,
                Or sun to shine by day;

                It was the new Jerusalem
                That would not pass away,
                It was the new Jerusalem
                That would not pass away.


                Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

                Comment


                • #9
                  So what is new about this? I was watching a "How the Universe Works" episode from around 2010 and they said all this.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    So what is new about this? I was watching a "How the Universe Works" episode from around 2010 and they said all this.
                    This is just an interesting topic to discuss if anyone has something constructive to add.

                    Actually I believe the survival of humanity is more tenuous than described on the shorter term as our relationship with sun changes, and our impact on the earth,
                    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

                    go with the flow the river knows . . .

                    Frank

                    I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post

                      This is just an interesting topic to discuss if anyone has something constructive to add.

                      Actually I believe the survival of humanity is more tenuous than described on the shorter term as our relationship with sun changes, and our impact on the earth,
                      Do you believe God would allow mankind to perish or destroy itself?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Sparko View Post

                        Do you believe God would allow mankind to perish or destroy itself?
                        You are proposing an anthropomorphic synario from a human perspective as to what God's purpose for humanity and Creation. Given the factual evidence of Creation in terms of billions of years of history of our earth, sun and universe and billions of solar systems, God's purpose and nature is far beyond the scope of the belief of any one religion, culture nor the many divisions of our beliefs. The facts also support that the stars and galaxies are born, live and pase away within our universe, and our universe may be finite in its existence, but it also may be cyclic and eternal. There is evidence that within our universe is the galaxies and solar systems are cyclic and are born again form the debri of past solar systems. The possibility remains that our physical existence may be eternal with an infinite number of universes.
                        Last edited by shunyadragon; 09-07-2021, 09:33 AM.
                        Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                        Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

                        go with the flow the river knows . . .

                        Frank

                        I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post

                          You are proposing an anthropomorphic synario from a human perspective as to what God's purpose for humanity and Creation. Given the factual evidence of Creation in terms of billions of years of history of our earth, sun and universe and billions of solar systems, God's purpose and nature is far beyond the scope of the belief of any one religion, culture nor the many divisions of our beliefs. The facts also support that the stars and galaxies are born, live and pase away within our universe, and our universe may be finite in its existence, but it also may be cyclic and eternal. There is evidence that within our universe is the galaxies and solar systems are cyclic and are born again form the debri of past solar systems. The possibility remains that our physical existence may be eternal with an infinite number of universes.
                          So, do you believe God would allow mankind to perish or destroy itself?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Last I heard, the idea that the universe is cyclic or eternal had been deemed incorrect. Of course, science does tend to get revised from time to time.
                            sigpic1 Cor 15:34 εκνηψατε δικαιως και μη αμαρτανετε αγνωσιαν γαρ θεου τινες εχουσιν προς εντροπην υμιν λεγω

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                              Last I heard, the idea that the universe is cyclic or eternal had been deemed incorrect. Of course, science does tend to get revised from time to time.
                              It never completely went out of fashion in some quarters and recent evidence has provided enough evidence that it is being looked at again.

                              I'm always still in trouble again

                              "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

                              Comment

                              Related Threads

                              Collapse

                              Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by rogue06, Yesterday, 08:59 AM
                              19 responses
                              82 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post rogue06
                              by rogue06
                               
                              Started by Sparko, 09-15-2021, 11:13 AM
                              18 responses
                              68 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post rogue06
                              by rogue06
                               
                              Started by rogue06, 09-14-2021, 07:34 AM
                              1 response
                              18 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post rogue06
                              by rogue06
                               
                              Started by shunyadragon, 09-13-2021, 09:25 PM
                              10 responses
                              50 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Littlejoe  
                              Started by lee_merrill, 09-06-2021, 09:40 PM
                              19 responses
                              107 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post shunyadragon  
                              Working...
                              X