Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Materialists believe in magic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bret View Post
    I'm shocked that Clucky McPoopy was impressed by this insipid drivel. Batten needs to stick to fruit and nuts.
    Oh my. Batten's article is awful:

God made the sun and the stars on the fourth day of Creation Week. Again, this is not magic or superstition, because God is able to do such things...
    Think of the supposed origin of humans from a chimp-like ape in six million evolutionary years. Modern comparison of the genomes shows such large differences (of at least 20%) ...
    "At least 20%"???

Chasing down Batten's reference to Batten's own work which cites something else finds this: . In Batten's world, possibly 19% means at least 20%.

And of course there's the obligatory quote-mine:*
    There's an obvious misrepresentation since New Scientist describes Paul Davies as "a physicist and writer" not an astrobiologist. Another obvious issue is that Batten (or his predecessor in the quote-chain) has added a period in the middle of Davies's sentence to make it appear that he had no more to say. It's no surprise that continuing beyond the words Batten quote-mined gives a different picture of Davies's views:

"Nobody knows, but
    Although there is no known law of physics able to create information from nothing"

A creationist has quoted a scientist who said "[something] but [something else]" as "[something] full stop". Their standard technique.

But I'm not surprised that Clucky McWelcher was impressed by it, since he is also impressed by Kent Hovind's invented 'facts'.

Roy

*The first one I checked.
    Last edited by Roy; 07-25-2016, 05:15 AM.
    Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
    MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
      Isn't that a Karl Rove strategy?
      You mean, Gods gift to women, Carl Rove?
      "The Lord loves a working man, don't trust whitey, see a doctor and get rid of it."

Navin R. Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by Wally View Post
        You mean, Gods gift to women, Carl Rove?
        Not how I would describe him - unless there's a Carl Rove as well as a Karl Rove?
        Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

" Clucky McPoopy " ???

Only your 2nd post here and already you're displaying extreme bias and stupidity.
          WOW - that has got to be some kind of record!

Do us all a favor and return to the rock that you crawled out from under, Bret.
          Obviously you have absolutely nothing to contribute.

Jorge

Comment

Originally posted by Clucky McPoopy View Post
            " Clucky McPoopy " ???

Only your 2nd post here and already you're displaying extreme bias and stupidity.
            WOW - that has got to be some kind of record!

Do us all a favor and return to the rock that you crawled out from under, Bret.

I'm shocked, shocked!, that much like 99% of his 10,000 posts on old TWeb Dr.* $2595 avoids the evidence I posted and instead clucks and poops about me.

Don't you worry about me , I've been around TWeb for a while. Just using my real name instead of a handle now.

Comment

Originally posted by Jorge the welcher View Post
              He contributed more than you did, welcher. You'll never address Batten's ignorance of star fusion; you'll just vomit all over the forum as usual.

Comment

Originally posted by Bret View Post
                I'm shocked, shocked!, that much like 99% of his 10,000 posts on old TWeb Dr.* $2595 avoids the evidence I posted and instead clucks and poops about me.
                The truly embarrassing part for you is that a "2595 PhD" - as you say - can make such a jackass out of you. Reminds me of Kent Hovind. His "Patriot University PhD" has been ridiculed for decades yet I have many videos of debates where Hovind makes "real PhDs" look like stuttering, drooling idiots.

That kind of says it all, doesn't it.

Don't you worry about me, I've been around TWeb for a while. Just using my real name instead of a handle now.
                Ah, now it all makes sense!

Yeah, I get it ... just like a Clinton, you show up with a new title (First Lady, Senator, Sec'ty of State, ...), bury the past and start with a "clean" slate. Hey, "what does it matter anyway?", right?

Thanks for the heads up ... I'll be sure to avoid your stupidity in the future.

Jorge

Comment

Originally posted by Jorge View Post
                  Are you in the least bit comprehending what I've written?

Go back, re-read (maybe 2 or 3 more times) and try again.

Here's a hint:

Who is this "us" that I am accusing of believing in magic?
                  Did you become a Materialist since the last time that you haunted me?

BTW, love that pic of the kitten!

Jorge
                  Thanks for the complement on the cat. I have been a long time kitty owner..... and no I've never been a materialist.
                  A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                  George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
                    Thanks for the complement on the cat. I have been a long time kitty owner.....
                    Hey, cute is cute ... what else can you say?

and no I've never been a materialist.
                    Then your post to me is a total mystery. The "us" makes you a Materialist.

Jorge

Comment

The truly embarrassing part for you is that a "2595 PhD" - as you say - can make such a jackass out of you.
                      Where do you think you did this? It certainly wasn't in post #34.
                      Last edited by Roy; 07-27-2016, 05:20 AM.

Comment

Like a true Clinton, you have a short memory for your crimes and embarrassments.
                        But, hey, "what does it matter?", right?

Jorge

Comment

Context and contributors restored:
                          Originally posted by me
                          Originally posted by Jorge the welcher
                          Originally posted by Bret
                          The truly embarrassing part for you is that a "2595 PhD" - as you say - can make such a jackass out of you.
                          Like a true Clinton, you have a short memory for your crimes and embarrassments.
                          But, hey, "what does it matter?", right?

Comment

Context and contributors restored:
                            Jorge has no shame, and in many ways no internalized moral compass. He certainly has a seriously compromised sense of personal ethics (fake Ph.D./welching on his bet/willingness to pretend he thinks a steam explosion could legitimately explain an asteroid impact)

So you are mostly wasting your time. You can't make a man without a conscience feel guilty.

Jim
                            My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                              Jorge has no shame, and in many ways no internalized moral compass. He certainly has a seriously compromised sense of personal ethics (fake Ph.D./welching on his bet/willingness to pretend he thinks a steam explosion could legitimately explain an asteroid impact)

So you are mostly wasting your time. You can't make a man without a conscience feel guilty.

Jim
                              Look above, yeah, at the post above and you will get a real-time, live example
                              of what I mean by O-Mudd's blatant and embarrassing dishonesty. Keep it
                              coming, O-Mudd, I can dish it out as fast as you can. Heck, faster!

Jorge

Comment

Originally posted by Jorge View Post
                                Look above, yeah, at the post above and you will get a real-time, live example
                                of what I mean by O-Mudd's blatant and embarrassing dishonesty. Keep it
                                coming, O-Mudd, I can dish it out as fast as you can. Heck, faster!

Jorge
                                Can you please define exactly which point was dishonest.

Can you point to a post you have exhibited shame at something stupid?

Can you point to a post where you have apologized for anything you thought wasn't quite right.

Did you or did you not buy a PhD from a diploma mill just before the book with Gitt was piblished?

Did you or did you not make a bet that all agree you lost but have yet to honor?

Do you or do you not continue to support a paper claiming craters left by steam explosions could explain the kind of impacts classed as asteroid impacts?

Jim
                                My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment