Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Replicants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    or even to manufacture workers with no free will?
    Ignoring the debate on free will for the moment, the amount of change necessary to accomplish this would render it a different species anyway. It'd be like breeding a bipedal draft horse.
    I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
      Isn't there a population problem according to many on the political left? It's why I never understood the drive of science to solve mortality, now they want us to create synthetic humans?
      I've never heard of a population problem besides the obvious that increasing global populations mean added concerns for food, space, energy, etc. The population is already peaking, though. The numbers will drop on their own.

Also, solving aging isn't the same as solving mortality.
      I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
        I've never heard of a population problem besides the obvious that increasing global populations mean added concerns for food, space, energy, etc. The population is already peaking, though. The numbers will drop on their own.

Also, solving aging isn't the same as solving mortality.
        John Holdren, Obama's "science advisor," in his book Ecoscience stressed that overpopulation was such a problem that he even presented the idea of putting sterilants in the water to curb fertility. So, yeah.

Comment

another idea. Stepford Wives made to order.

Comment

Stormtroopers

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
              Ignoring the debate on free will for the moment, the amount of change necessary to accomplish this would render it a different species anyway. It'd be like breeding a bipedal draft horse.
              how would you know? maybe it is just a matter of a few genes to make someone compliant and obedient slaves.

Comment

Stormtroopers
                The Boys from Brazil

Comment

John Holdren, Obama's "science advisor," in his book Ecoscience stressed that overpopulation was such a problem that he even presented the idea of putting sterilants in the water to curb fertility. So, yeah.
                  seanD, TWeb's "resident kook," is referring to yet another conspiracy theory promoted by Glenn Beck.

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
                    seanD, TWeb's "resident kook," is referring to yet another conspiracy theory promoted by Glenn Beck.
                    No. Beck claims Holdren endorsed that idea. "Presented the idea," which is what I said doesn't mean endorse the idea, moron. It's in the book, whether you want to deny it or not. The fact they even had the discussion about spiking the water with an anti-fertility substance in the context of overpopulation (a theory proposed by leftwing scientific wingnuts) is looney enough.

Comment

I've seen way too many scifi shows for this to be a good thing........
                      Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                      1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                      -Ben Witherington III

Comment

No. Beck claims Holdren endorsed that idea. "Presented the idea," which is what I said doesn't mean endorse the idea, moron. It's in the book, whether you want to deny it or not. The fact they even had the discussion about spiking the water with an anti-fertility substance in the context of overpopulation (a theory proposed by leftwing scientific wingnuts) is looney enough.
                        Overpopulation is a looney theory, says seanD. Kooks gotta kook, says lao tzu.

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
                          Overpopulation is a looney theory, says seanD. Kooks gotta kook, says lao tzu.
                          Holdren apparently left the overpopulation alarmist bandwagon. Only to jump on board the global warming alarmist bandwagon. So I guess you're right.

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
                            I've seen way too many scifi shows for this to be a good thing........
                            The write-up was over the top, but the idea that we can not just read, but write DNA at a large scale is scientifically and technically exhilarating, if ethically fraught. The ethics of reading DNA are difficult enough. My sister-in-law's family was part of a gene study which gave her early warning that she would have heart problems requiring a pace-maker. Had this been known to the insurance companies ...

We've been splicing DNA for quite some time now. Genetically modified food is common now. Genetically modified humans are not. I'd imagine work on this project will be constrained in much the same fashion.

Comment

ethical problems abound.

would they be able to patent the resultant human? scientific slavery? or even to manufacture workers with no free will?

sounds just like bladerunner

it is also ironic that they want to manufacture people while others want to abort them.
                              I think you are right. Ethical problems abound.

But then, I think the the moment we got large brains, we moved into the territory of ethical problems on so many things.

The moment we made the first bow and arrow, we had the ability to gain food more efficiently than ever before. But then we gained the ability to kill each other more efficiently than before.

Comment

Crazy is crazy. Big deal.
                                I'm not here anymore.

Comment