Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Travelling at 40 MPH fatal???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travelling at 40 MPH fatal???

I know, clack bait title. I remember hearing/reading somewhere that people in the 19th century thought it would be fatal for people to ride in trains at 40mph. However, galloping horses can be that fast, so why did they think the human body can't handle those speeds? Acceleration is the problem, not velocity! What other misconceptions like those surround today's technology? People thinking they could be harmed by radio waves?
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
    I know, clack bait title. I remember hearing/reading somewhere that people in the 19th century thought it would be fatal for people to ride in trains at 40mph. However, galloping horses can be that fast, so why did they think the human body can't handle those speeds? Acceleration is the problem, not velocity! What other misconceptions like those surround today's technology? People thinking they could be harmed by radio waves?
    Actually, a doctor made that prediction.
    Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
      Actually, a doctor made that prediction.

Did he not know what the orbital and rotational velocity of the planet is? A LOT more than a few dozen MPH. I have heards that it would not be fun to be at airplane speeds unprotected.

Comment

Did he not know what the orbital and rotational velocity of the planet is? A LOT more than a few dozen MPH. I have heards that it would not be fun to be at airplane speeds unprotected.
        Irrelevant as long as we are discussing how harmful speed can be. Actually it is speed relative to something, for example, the train relative to the surrounding air. If the train were going at meteoric speed through the air, it'd burn up like a meteor. If a car were moving at 40mph relative to another car, a bad, bad wreck may result.

Comment

Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
          Irrelevant as long as we are discussing how harmful speed can be. Actually it is speed relative to something, for example, the train relative to the surrounding air. If the train were going at meteoric speed through the air, it'd burn up like a meteor. If a car were moving at 40mph relative to another car, a bad, bad wreck may result.
          True. Why is it that 300 mph in an airplane is fine, but 300mph winds will kill you? Is it because the plane is much sturdier than your flesh? What physics terms are in play(tensile strength, friction, etc.)? Or is it a variation of how it's not the fall that kills, but the hard landing at the end?

Comment

"Rail travel at high speeds is not possible because passengers, unable to breathe, would die of asphyxia."

Most experts figure the quote is apocryphal, not appearing in any of his works and first cited around 1980.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              Most horses top out at somewhere around 30 mph.
              Skiers can travel faster though.
              Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
              MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                Skiers can travel faster though.
                So can sky divers. Your point?

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

well stopping from going 40mph can be fatal, if you stop fast enough. like hitting a tree.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    well stopping from going 40mph can be fatal, if you stop fast enough. like hitting a tree.
                    Hence the concept that falls are never fatal. It is the sudden stop at the end that are deadly.

Comment

So can sky divers. Your point?
                      Skiing, unlike sky-diving, preceded trains, and unlike horses, allows people to move > 40mph.
                      Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                      MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Hence the concept that falls are never fatal. It is the sudden stop at the end that are deadly.
                        Or to put it scientifically, It's not the velocity, it's rapid changes in velocity that are harmful.
                        "The Lord loves a working man, don't trust whitey, see a doctor and get rid of it."

Navin R. Johnson

Comment

Layman misconceptions and foolishness concerning science and technology dominate our world today. Beliefs such as: (1) The astronauts saw the Great Wall from the moon. (2) Our earth and all of our physical existence is less than ~10,000 years old. (3) Elvis Presley is alive and well in a govenment witness program. (4) Your iPhone Flashlight is Spying on You.

. . . and many many more.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                            Layman misconceptions and foolishness concerning science and technology dominate our world today. Beliefs such as: (1) The astronauts saw the Great Wall from the moon. (2) Our earth and all of our physical existence is less than ~10,000 years old. (3) Elvis Presley is alive and well in a govenment witness program. (4) Your iPhone Flashlight is Spying on You.

. . . and many many more.
                            Pfff. Everybody knows Elvis died leading the raid that killed Osama bin Laden

Comment

Source: Car Seats - www.childrenshospitaloakland.org/main/injury-prevention-child-safety-information.aspx

If you are traveling at 30 miles per hour while holding your 10-pound baby, and have a motor vehicle crash, the baby would be pulled from your arms with an accelerated force of almost 300 pounds and be thrown into the dashboard or windshield.

© Copyright Original Source

. . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment