Announcement

Collapse

Psychology 101 Guidelines

Welcome to Tweb's couch. Please join us in discussing the joys of the human psyche. Watch in wonderment as the Tweb crowd has violent mood swings. help us understand what makes us tick.

Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.
See more
See less

Myers-Briggs and atheism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
    Its no more a "privilege" for Christians to staff a Christian website, than it is for atheists to staff an atheist website.
    It's so much more fun to make up your own definitions for words. Loose yourself from the tyranny of the dictionary!
    Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
      Correct. You lost me at XX.

I can't link to it because of profanity, but look up "Mustachioed Apologetics" by Armoured Skeptic. Or do you think he's just using a "fantasy term" too? Oh, and then there is this, an explanation on the history of the term "fundamentalist atheist".

Yeah, it's by JPH, but look at the sources who used it before he did. It's obviously not something he made up, and he never claims it's the "opposite of fundamental Christianity". If anything he thinks it's the atheist equivalent of "fundamentalist"* Christianity.

*Not the original meaning of the word, but the current trend of using it as an insult.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
        It's so much more fun to make up your own definitions for words. Loose yourself from the tyranny of the dictionary!
        Don't forget historical usages, that way you can say someone is using "fantasy terms" when they pull out a term that's been in use for a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
          Its no more a "privilege" for Christians to staff a Christian website, than it is for atheists to staff an atheist website.
          Okay, that was a bad example.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
            Yeah, it's by JPH,................
            This is a classic straw man argument.

Comment

This is a classic straw man argument.
              No, it's a record of the usage of the term. However, what you just did was a classic genetic fallacy.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Comment

Actually the first time I heard the term of religion, fundamentalism, and Atheism came in the context of my Dad and I walking outside of a bookstore. We were discussing the types of books and he mentioned one that disturbed him. I asked what it was. He explained that it was the newest branch of Atheism that had nearly a religious, evangelical or fundamental tone. Holding may say "fundy" but he's not the first to invent the concept. Its been around for some time.
                  A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                  George Bernard Shaw

Comment

If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

No, it's a record of the usage of the term. However, what you just did was a classic genetic fallacy.
                      The point is that atheists do not have creeds. They are often wrongly accused of having beliefs similar to religious beliefs (I have heard that said recently about evolution) but I think that is because there is confusion about what knowledge and beliefs are and what skepticism does to promote order among competing ideas.

Comment

The point is that atheists do not have creeds. They are often wrongly accused of having beliefs similar to religious beliefs (I have heard that said recently about evolution) but I think that is because there is confusion about what knowledge and beliefs are and what skepticism does to promote order among competing ideas.
                        Absolutely none of this has anything to do with what was said in Holding's video, nor anything I said. You really should at least watch that video by Armoured Skeptic, maybe you will at least not dismiss him since he's an atheist.

Comment

Absolutely none of this has anything to do with what was said in Holding's video, nor anything I said. You really should at least watch that video by Armoured Skeptic, maybe you will at least not dismiss him since he's an atheist.
                          He's not the same type of atheist as FF? Fundy atheist troll

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                            He's not the same type of atheist as FF? Fundy atheist troll
                            You mean "slimy and dishonest"?

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                              As thread starter, ff doesn't need to stay "on topic."
                              Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                              sigpic
                              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                                As thread starter, ff doesn't need to stay "on topic."
                                but granpa started it...

Comment