Announcement

Collapse

Psychology 101 Guidelines

Welcome to Tweb's couch. Please join us in discussing the joys of the human psyche. Watch in wonderment as the Tweb crowd has violent mood swings. help us understand what makes us tick.

Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.
See more
See less

Myers-Briggs and atheism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
    Serious, quiet, earn success by concentration and thoroughness. Practical, orderly, matter-of-fact, logical, realistic, dependable. See to it that everything is well organized. Take responsibility. Make up their minds as to what should be accomplished and work toward is steadily, regardless of protests or distractions. (p. 13)http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/1...3#.VI_psXuy4UA
    You'll also notice those types tend to be the least sociable of them all. Just saying...
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
      Is it just me or do those read like astrology signs? "Taurus: loyal, bull headed and kind to small animals"

Modern psychology, in a nut shell.
      "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
        A great deal of psychology is a lot like astrology - not all but a lot.
        Like shoehorning people into 16 or 12 personality types?
        If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
          Modern psychology, in a nut shell.
          Heavy on the "nut".
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

You'll also notice those types tend to be the least sociable of them all. Just saying...
            I think you are referring to the extraversion–introversion dimension. Introverts are probably also less susceptible to peer pressures towards conformity and so do not absorb religious indoctrination so readily and would tend to be excluded by groups that require conformity of their members. I am definitely of that type. It has been said that atheists are like cats because they all go their own way. The religious, comparatively, are members of a “flock”. Atheists are not herdable in the same way which may account in part for their relatively low profile in the general population.

Comment

I think you are referring to the extraversion–introversion dimension. Introverts are probably also less susceptible to peer pressures towards conformity and so do not absorb religious indoctrination so readily and would tend to be excluded by groups that require conformity of their members. I am definitely of that type. It has been said that atheists are like cats because they all go their own way. The religious, comparatively, are members of a “flock”. Atheists are not herdable in the same way which may account in part for their relatively low profile in the general population.
              You've obviously never talked to a pastor about how herdable their "flock" is.
              Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                Herding cats can be easier.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

"My being a shut-in basement dweeb is actually a huge advantage."

Nice spin.
                  "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                    "My being a shut-in basement dweeb is actually a huge advantage."
                    Nice spin.
                    That’s quite funny. Who wrote it for you?

Comment

That’s quite funny. Who wrote it for you?
                      His mother.

Comment

You apparently know about as much about personality theory, as you do about theology. First off, the I/E divided has nothing to do with 'getting along' with others and simply has to do with where your energy comes from. Introverts are ones that get their energy from within and can be sociable too. I find myself relating to the INFJ thing on the MBTI profiles, which tend to be a sociable type, but an introvert too. Sociability has nothing to do with the I/E divide. Second, you also know nothing about church life either. Some of those church goers can be some of the most stubborn people I've ever known. I know fundy atheist like to believe they are somehow unique and Christians are just a bunch of mindless sheep, but that isn't true at all. Shoot, you'll find most Christian members of tWeb tend to lean on the introvert side and likely are going to be INXX types of some sort due to the nature of this web site. Christians tend to represent a pretty wide swatch of personalities. That much I have noticed. You might want to think before your next answer...
                        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                          What do you expert from a fundy atheist, who has never stepped into a church and just listens to whatever he likes to hear? Logic? Reasoning? Real life experiences?
                          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

You apparently know about as much about personality theory, as you do about theology.
                            Correct. You lost me at XX.

I know fundy atheist
                            “Fundy atheist” is a JP Holding fantasy term that he uses because he wrongly thinks that there is something opposite fundamental Christianity. There isn’t. Fundamentalism is a religious phenomenon that means that some people believe that they have discovered the “Truth”. There is no equivalent “Truth” for an atheist.

like to believe they are somehow unique and Christians are just a bunch of mindless sheep, but that isn't true at all. Shoot, you'll find most Christian members of tWeb tend to lean on the introvert side and likely are going to be INXX types of some sort due to the nature of this web site. Christians tend to represent a pretty wide swatch of personalities. That much I have noticed. You might want to think before your next answer...
                            “Christian” is a label that gives the wearer certain privileges. It, more so than many others, offers privileges in return for conformity or obedience. The staff here for example, have to agree to a set of prescribed beliefs. But I am all for Christians being as independently minded as possible.

Comment

Comment

Its no more a "privilege" for Christians to staff a Christian website, than it is for atheists to staff an atheist website.

Comment