Announcement

Collapse

Home Economics 101

Welcome to the Home Ec Section. Matters of the family sometimes bring joy and other times bring grief. But it is never trivial: Family matters! Feel free to discuss topics such as the sanctity of marriage; the awesome responsibility of raising children; the struggles of communication problems; the grief of losing a loved one; or anything else that relates to the home and family. However, due to the more personal nature of this section, I ask that you would be especially thoughtful of the readers' feelings. My earnest hope and prayer is that the discussions in this section will help families grow in the love of Christ.

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

Preparing for High Electricity and Gas Charges in the UK.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    I've had several close calls with tornadoes over the years. That was the closest (literally passing within 20-30' of where I was laying[1] and hopefully my last experience.

As a small young child, while traveling on vacation, we rounded a hill and came across one in the middle of the road roughly half a mile away.

In my teens, I saw one come over a hill near where I lived but suddenly take a 90 degree turn to the left almost exactly a tenth of a mile away and head down another street. It destroyed a landmark tree (it split and then rejoined forming an eye of the needle) and wrecked a small tennis court's fence -- actually twisting it around so that it looked like a modern art sculpture. When my father came home from work, as he drove along the street he saw the damage increase the closer he got to home, but then stop at the top of the hill where it took the sharp left. He was quiet relieved (I'll note that there was nobody killed or seriously injured).

1. I had relatives staying at my place but I was working third shift and generally slept in until noon as a result. I got up a little early because of having guests and as I was coming down the stairs still a bit bleary-eyed, I heard the distinct sound of a train locomotive coming from upstairs (I grew up near a railroad line and know what a train sounds like). Instantly realizing that there were no train tracks running through my upstairs, I jumped the rest of the way down, grabbing the baluster as I landed and used it to swing/spin around and dive to the floor in the hall that went by the stairs. I yelled "Duck!" to anyone who was also in the condo as I covered my head literally a split instance before it struck.

It ripped off the siding and part of the roof as well as blowing out the windows on that side and blasting everything inside with muddy water and debris (mostly wood chips and pine needles). A few seconds later, it was over and I lifted my head to survey the damage. I watched as a comic strip I had cut out and put on the refrigerator slowly drifted down in front of me. Very surreal.

My reaction was literally to say out loud with a sneer "ya missed" as if I was acting like, is that the best you could do? Was that your best shot? Ever the tough guy

The reality is that while prior to that I barely paid attention to a tornado watch or even warning. Even when the sky had turned green. But now, I notice that I treat them with the respect they deserve.

Oh, and fortunately my relatives were hungry and didn't want to wait until I got up so they went out to catch some breakfast and weren't there when it struck.
    This caught my attention........
    ....the sky turned green........ My father-in-law worked outside, all his life, and he has always said that when we are in for a severe storm or blizzard he knows, because he sees the sky turn green....

I've known very bad storms but our worst storms and snow falls are as nothing compared to what we see in many other countries. Our floods can be horrid, though.

Comment

Originally posted by eider View Post
      This caught my attention........
      ....the sky turned green........ My father-in-law worked outside, all his life, and he has always said that when we are in for a severe storm or blizzard he knows, because he sees the sky turn green....

I've known very bad storms but our worst storms and snow falls are as nothing compared to what we see in many other countries. Our floods can be horrid, though.
      A former gf was from Oklahoma where tornadoes were more common who said green skies meant a tornado. The two times I've seen a green sky a tornado was nearby.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by eider View Post

Tornadoes.......... In the heat wave of 1976 I was with my Father out in the fields when I saw a whirlwind racing across the field, throwing stubble high in to the air and so I called out 'Is that a Tornado?'. The Oldman laughed and told me 'no', that it was a dust devil like the ones he had so often seen in Asia.
        Biggest tornado I ever saw, that one....... a dust devil......
        When I lived in Oklahoma we had both tornadoes and dust devils. As a kid we would run out into the fields and play in the dust devils. We did have a tornado go by in the field behind our house once. We did not go out and play in that however.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          A former gf was from Oklahoma where tornadoes were more common who said green skies meant a tornado. The two times I've seen a green sky a tornado was nearby.
          Yup. Either a tornado or the zombie apocalypse.

zombies-horde-ruined-city-after-outbreak-portrait-scary-zombies-digital-art-style-illustration-painting_743201-2791.jpg

Comment

Comment

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X