Announcement

Collapse

Home Economics 101

Welcome to the Home Ec Section. Matters of the family sometimes bring joy and other times bring grief. But it is never trivial: Family matters! Feel free to discuss topics such as the sanctity of marriage; the awesome responsibility of raising children; the struggles of communication problems; the grief of losing a loved one; or anything else that relates to the home and family. However, due to the more personal nature of this section, I ask that you would be especially thoughtful of the readers' feelings. My earnest hope and prayer is that the discussions in this section will help families grow in the love of Christ.

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

Preparing for High Electricity and Gas Charges in the UK.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Dang it! I ended up leaving the back door open a bit last night. I wonder how much that's gonna cost me.
    If your home is anywhere in America then you may have got frozen stiff last night....No?

We are hearing of and seeing some horrific accounts of the freezing conditions from Canada down to Texas and Florida.

Comment

Originally posted by eider View Post

If your home is anywhere in America then you may have got frozen stiff last night....No?

We are hearing of and seeing some horrific accounts of the freezing conditions from Canada down to Texas and Florida.
      Upstairs with a closed door. The furnace likely ran all night rather than cycled.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Upstairs with a closed door. The furnace likely ran all night rather than cycled.
        Ouch......... that sounds like an expense you would have preferred not to have.

Over here many households are so hard up at present that they don't know whether to buy heat or food. Our Foodbanks are really pressed for supplies at this time. Fortunately the Temperature in England rose, over Christmas, so that might have helped, but we will soon be dipping back in to the cold again during the coming week.

Some household need as many ideas as possible to consider.

One that I haven't mentioned is the 'Heat One Room' idea. If necessary a family could move in to one room (in the centre) of their home to just keep that warm. But if people get dangerously cold because they didn't think of something that could have saved them, then that would be sad.

Comment

A friend of mine is old, lives alone and has a mental disability that stops him from being able to walk in to most shops, cafes, libraries etc where he could keep warm. But he can ride on a bus, and does have a bus pass. If he can't get warm he can get on a bus and sit by a radiator, and since our buses circulate around a route between three towns he will always come back to where he started out......... a bit warmer.

Comment

Ouch......... that sounds like an expense you would have preferred not to have.

Over here many households are so hard up at present that they don't know whether to buy heat or food. Our Foodbanks are really pressed for supplies at this time. Fortunately the Temperature in England rose, over Christmas, so that might have helped, but we will soon be dipping back in to the cold again during the coming week.

Some household need as many ideas as possible to consider.

One that I haven't mentioned is the 'Heat One Room' idea. If necessary a family could move in to one room (in the centre) of their home to just keep that warm. But if people get dangerously cold because they didn't think of something that could have saved them, then that would be sad.
            I figure it's at least equivalent to another below freezing day added to the bill.

I've learned the hard way to keep the bathroom doors upstairs closed. It keeps them warm even when I have the thermostat set at 53-54 over night (11.6 to 12.2 Celsius) and cooler during the Summer when the AC is on.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I figure it's at least equivalent to another below freezing day added to the bill.

I've learned the hard way to keep the bathroom doors upstairs closed. It keeps them warm even when I have the thermostat set at 53-54 over night (11.6 to 12.2 Celsius) and cooler during the Summer when the AC is on.
              We were lucky over Christmas, the temperature came up to 14C here and so our daily bill came down, even though we were relaxing our rules.
              But I don't think we are going to get away from a freezer-winter this time....... we might get a version of what the US is suffering just now.
              But I can't think of anything else to do about it......... Oh yes there is!.... I've just thought about the antifreeze in my wife's little atv, it's concentrated enough to cope with -5c but if we were to get a -25C night such as some of you are experiencing then our engine block would be in serious danger. That's a job for today, then.

I'll bet that there might be a pandemic of cracked engine blocks over the US after all this.

Comment

We were lucky over Christmas, the temperature came up to 14C here and so our daily bill came down, even though we were relaxing our rules.
                But I don't think we are going to get away from a freezer-winter this time....... we might get a version of what the US is suffering just now.
                But I can't think of anything else to do about it......... Oh yes there is!.... I've just thought about the antifreeze in my wife's little atv, it's concentrated enough to cope with -5c but if we were to get a -25C night such as some of you are experiencing then our engine block would be in serious danger. That's a job for today, then.

I'll bet that there might be a pandemic of cracked engine blocks over the US after all this.
                A bunch of bodies being found in trapped cars and snow banks

Comment

A bunch of bodies being found in trapped cars and snow banks
                  Dreadful. We get regular updates on what's happening in the US and Canada freeze-up. Horrible.

I'm guessing that Canada may be able to cope better. Even 70 years ago Canadians were plugging their cars in to heater systems which kept their engines warm etc.

But this is too bad. We are being told that we can expect more winters like this because the whole balance of weather patterns is scrambled now. I bet we get it here before many weeks have passed.

Comment

In Summer or Winter we can find ourselves with water-supplies cut off, just for different reasons. A deep freeze can find that water supplies have frozen, bust or failed in other ways due to the cold. Several years ago we started to keep a few large 4 litre water containers under our units in the kitchen. Every year I change these over for new ones because they aren't expensive when everything is ok. If a household has emergency drinking water then this reduces the need to go out in a freeze-up.

Food. Our local supermarket sells tins of soup with either vegetable, lamb or beef within, and for £0.70p per tine. We have slowly filled a storage cupboard with this kind of tinned food because the sell-by dates are 2-3 years ahead and the store can be forgotten. The need to go out in freezes for food or water is a killer, because people who live in temperate lands don't all understand how quickly the cold can kill.

Comment

Update.
                      We have not yet had the kind of weather experienced in most of the US, so with any luck we might get away with it this winter......here's hoping.

And our electricity costs have been reduced by a government 'cap' on energy charges together with £400 payouts to every household to help with gas and fuel bills.
                      I have checked my electricity usage every morning since last September and so I know that government credits have been added to my meter at monthly intervals, at £70 each time.

But I don't regret my 'freeze' preparations as we may yet get a polar bashing and there is always next winter. Sadly the government cap on fuel prices ends in April and so we will get a shock from that, even with the spring temperatures.

My average cost-per-day for electricity (we don't have gas) have been
                      September £4
                      October £6
                      November £9
                      December £11
                      January £11
                      Early February £10

Our most expensive day was about a month ago (£17) when I piped hot water in to a large basin for our ducks to wash in, and 24 hours of infra red heating in the duck shed because our Carolina drake 'Lovelace' looked very poorly. If birds look 'poorly' they've usually had it, but we saved Lovelace somehow.

Comment

Let 'em freeze.

Source: Slow Burn: Britons At Risk Of $300 Fine For Burning Firewood Amid Energy Crunch

So much for the sanctity of an Englishman's hearth and home.

UK Government Officials cracked down on their energy conservation measures. Now, if people burn firewood in their homes, they’ll face a $300 fine and possible criminal charges.

Essentially, the use of wood-fire stoves has grown exponentially in the last few years in the UK. Breitbart reported that the crisis began around ten years ago when the Conservative Party-led governments began implementing “globalist green agenda policies” while rejecting the “nation’s more reliable natural resources such as natural gas.”

People who do not use wood-fire stoves that meet state standards on air pollution risk being fined £175 to £300 or about $188 -$322. To take things a step further, local councils could also issue criminal prosecutions that would tarnish the permanent criminal records of people who continually “breach the codes” aka, use wood to heat their homes.

The issue is that British households have faced extreme price rises for electricity. In the past year alone, there’s been a 65.4 percent rise in electricity prices and a 128.9 percent rise in natural gas prices. Of COURSE people are trying to use wood-fire stoves to heat their homes. These price rises are astronomical!

Yet climate activists don’t seem to care one bit. As a matter of fact, ClientEarth, a green charity campaign group, even suggested to ban burning wood in domestic settings entirely. Its spokesperson, Andrea Lea said, “Pollution from wood-burning is a growing source of fine particulate matter pollution in some areas, which is a serious threat to people’s health.”

How the heck are people supposed to stay warm?

This is like when Biden and AOC tried to take away our gas stoves!

As a cherry on the top to this whole debacle, banning wood burning stoves most likely won’t do much to curb air pollution. A report from the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) pointed out that wood-burning stoves cause only 17 percent of emissions. So this really is just another virtue signaling and frivolous rule that will do a whole lot of nothing.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

17% is actually a significant amount but the option is clearing out frozen bodies when the weather warms.

Comment

Let 'em freeze.

Source: Slow Burn: Britons At Risk Of $300 Fine For Burning Firewood Amid Energy Crunch

So much for the sanctity of an Englishman's hearth and home.

UK Government Officials cracked down on their energy conservation measures. Now, if people burn firewood in their homes, they’ll face a $300 fine and possible criminal charges.

Essentially, the use of wood-fire stoves has grown exponentially in the last few years in the UK. Breitbart reported that the crisis began around ten years ago when the Conservative Party-led governments began implementing “globalist green agenda policies” while rejecting the “nation’s more reliable natural resources such as natural gas.”

People who do not use wood-fire stoves that meet state standards on air pollution risk being fined £175 to £300 or about $188 -$322. To take things a step further, local councils could also issue criminal prosecutions that would tarnish the permanent criminal records of people who continually “breach the codes” aka, use wood to heat their homes.

The issue is that British households have faced extreme price rises for electricity. In the past year alone, there’s been a 65.4 percent rise in electricity prices and a 128.9 percent rise in natural gas prices. Of COURSE people are trying to use wood-fire stoves to heat their homes. These price rises are astronomical!

Yet climate activists don’t seem to care one bit. As a matter of fact, ClientEarth, a green charity campaign group, even suggested to ban burning wood in domestic settings entirely. Its spokesperson, Andrea Lea said, “Pollution from wood-burning is a growing source of fine particulate matter pollution in some areas, which is a serious threat to people’s health.”

How the heck are people supposed to stay warm?

This is like when Biden and AOC tried to take away our gas stoves!

As a cherry on the top to this whole debacle, banning wood burning stoves most likely won’t do much to curb air pollution. A report from the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) pointed out that wood-burning stoves cause only 17 percent of emissions. So this really is just another virtue signaling and frivolous rule that will do a whole lot of nothing.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

17% is actually a significant amount but the option is clearing out frozen bodies when the weather warms.
                          The government is still trying to do away with gas stoves. The new approach is to increase the efficiency requirements sufficiently that pretty much every stove currently on the market would fail to meet them. We've seen this before with coal-fired electric plants; don't ban them outright, just make them too expensive to operate.
                          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                          sigpic
                          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

April is here! The Temperature is rising, and the daily electric costs are going down.
                            We have been using £7-9 each day until yesterday when we used £6 worth of electricity which includes the daily fixed service charge
                            Our highest daily charge was back in mid winter, a £17 day, but one of our ducks was poorly and I pumped hot water in to a pool to raise his temperature and ran an infra-red light over his hutch through that night.

Because I have been recording our daily charges since last September I have noticed every government fuel benefit that we have received, @ £67 each month up 'til last month, which really did help.

Huge fuel increases which we expected were scrapped, and a price change which happened last week means that we will pay slightly less for now than at the same time last year. So we are safe for another year, it seems. But the cost of gas and electricity is bound to rise very high, probably after our next General Election (next year) I reckon.

Comment

April is here! The Temperature is rising, and the daily electric costs are going down.
                              We have been using £7-9 each day until yesterday when we used £6 worth of electricity which includes the daily fixed service charge
                              Our highest daily charge was back in mid winter, a £17 day, but one of our ducks was poorly and I pumped hot water in to a pool to raise his temperature and ran an infra-red light over his hutch through that night.

Because I have been recording our daily charges since last September I have noticed every government fuel benefit that we have received, @ £67 each month up 'til last month, which really did help.

Huge fuel increases which we expected were scrapped, and a price change which happened last week means that we will pay slightly less for now than at the same time last year. So we are safe for another year, it seems. But the cost of gas and electricity is bound to rise very high, probably after our next General Election (next year) I reckon.
                              Do you have air conditioning (cooling)?

I do, so my electricity costs go up in the summer, since I use gas heating in the winter.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Do you have air conditioning (cooling)?

I do, so my electricity costs go up in the summer, since I use gas heating in the winter.
                                No..... we only have two portable fans. There will be 2-3 days each summer when I might wish we had Air-Con, but we live near to the sea and can open front and back doors to let cooler sea air in.
                                Last summer there was one really hot (record heat) day and I decided to go for a ride on my scooter in order to cool down, but the hot air offered no relief at all. I used to imagine that 'easy riding' through the heat on a Harley would be comfortable.... I don't think so now.

Air Conditioning needs high kilowatts, as you know. A family friend is an Air-Con technician and he works flat-out in summer; in winter he services freezer units and installs solar charging systems (everybody thinks of solar charging when their E-bills are high, I guess).

Comment