On Mark Galli's Editorial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On Mark Galli's Editorial

What are my thoughts on this controversial piece?

Link

You, and a number of other thoughtful Christians, have decried those Christians who decry Trump supporting Christians. But what do you make of Christians like Robert Jeffress who call Christians who disagree with Trump "spineless morons"?
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
      You, and a number of other thoughtful Christians, have decried those Christians who decry Trump supporting Christians. But what do you make of Christians like Robert Jeffress who call Christians who disagree with Trump "spineless morons"?
      I have a problem with elitism on both sides. I have a number of good Christians I respect who didn't and can't vote for him. As long as we follow Romans 14 and other such passages, I have no problem.

Comment

Have you bothered to search out that quote of Galli's about elitism and not knowing anyone who voted for Trump? I have not found any source, only the snippet of quote.

From what I have found I think that it is taken out of context, in short, fake news. A quote taken out of context is a pretext. But it has taken root and many Christians are repeating it.

Has anyone here read the book Still Evangelical?, which has the essay containing the quote?

Comment

Originally posted by simplicio View Post
          Have you bothered to search out that quote of Galli's about elitism and not knowing anyone who voted for Trump? I have not found any source, only the snippet of quote.

From what I have found I think that it is taken out of context, in short, fake news. A quote taken out of context is a pretext. But it has taken root and many Christians are repeating it.

Has anyone here read the book Still Evangelical?, which has the essay containing the quote?
          I can try to track it down.

Comment

https://books.google.com/books?id=DF...dia%22&f=false

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
              I think Jeffress is a bit of an ass. I find most of Bad Orange Man's "spiritual advisers" unimpressive.
              Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Interesting. Too bad it does not include more of the context, but three pages is fairly good, and probably about all one can expect from a free preview.
                Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                  Interesting. Too bad it does not include more of the context, but three pages is fairly good, and probably about all one can expect from a free preview.
                  Almost all the quotes used the exact same section of text, which suggests to me a common source. I did find a couple of quotes which tacked on some preceding sentences, which suggests that they were sourced from the text.

There is the immediate context of the essay. There is also the broader context of Galli's writing, and he has a significant amount out there. There is also the context of Galli's role as editor of a major Christian magazine, a magazine which publishes views which are different than Galli's. I am sure that Galli has read Christianity Today, each issue and every article.

The assertion that the quote of Galli shows that he is unfamiliar with the worldview that accepts Trump I find troubling, troubling that it has gained so much traction among Christians.

I don't read the quote as a defense of elitism, in the sense that many take it.
                  Last edited by simplicio; 01-01-2020, 03:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by simplicio View Post
                    The assertion that the quote of Galli shows that he is unfamiliar with the worldview that accepts Trump I find troubling, troubling that it has gained so much traction among Christians.
                    Naturally Trump-supporting Evangelicals are angry with him. To use his words from the book, Galli is "so shocked and appalled that [he wants] to disown them". He believes that pro-Trump evangelicals "sullied the witness of the church", and has "a very difficult time imagining that they belong" in the Evangelical family. Most recently, he wrote that infamous article to the effect that "no true Christian" would support Trump.

What Galli is doing is this: he implies that these people are not true Evangelicals, they are not true Christians. Unsurprisingly, that creates a furor. Also equally unsurprisingly, he pretends to be shocked that people are so angry and that it is unjustified. Equally unsurprisingly, some people who like to play the fake moderate (like you) try to cover for him.
                    Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment