Announcement

Collapse

World History 201 Guidelines

Welcome to World History 201.

Find out if Caesar crossed the Rubicon or threw a dollar across it.

This is the forum where world history, in general, can be discussed. Since the WH201, like the other fora in the World History department, is not limited to participation along lines of theology, all may post here.

Please keep the Campus Decorum in mind when posting here--while 'belief' restrictions are not in place, common decency is.

The Tweb rules are in force . . . we're watching you.
Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Noah: Is this a good movie? Is it good ancient history?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

... derisively!
    βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
    ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

You only say that because you're unfair.
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
        You only say that because you're unfair.
        So. Doesn't mean it ain't true.

Comment

Does indicate a significant bias, however.
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Does indicate a significant bias, however.
            Oh, yes, indeed. I am definitely on God's side!

Comment

Who isn't?

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Who isn't?
                Tubal Cain, for one, and anyone that does not want to hear his side of the story. I'm not sure yet about you.

Comment

Quit being mean to me.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Feminine wiles of the daughters of Eve have no effect on me.

Who am I kidding. I'm a sucker for a woman's tears. But I'm still not going to talk about the rock monsters yet. Try to cope, it's not because I'm being mean to you, but I just don't want to give anything away yet.

Comment

You really like Glenn Beck?

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
                        The movie does not directly contradict the Bible but in a few minimal matters, but adds a lot (a lot a lot) of themes from elsewhere in the Bible, from a modern and postmodern interpretive perspectives, and, yes, from the Book of Enoch, as I noted earlier. If you like such reinterpretations, you may indeed like this movie. I went back and read the Hebrew text after seeing this movie and had to admit that what some are seeing as extreme license would actually be perfectly acceptable from a Jewish midrashic perspective. (Warning: Christian fundamentalists and modernists do not generally appreciate a Jewish midrashic perspective on the Bible.). I will not yet speak about the rock monsters. ;)
                        Brian Mattson makes an interesting case that much of the movie's content comes from the Kabbalah and from Gnostic writings:
                        http://drbrianmattson.com/journal/20...-for-the-devil
                        "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind." – Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
                          You really like Glenn Beck?

He's slightly less annoying than you...

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

I think I will take that as a compliment. Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by Kbertsche View Post
                              Brian Mattson makes an interesting case that much of the movie's content comes from the Kabbalah and from Gnostic writings:
                              http://drbrianmattson.com/journal/20...-for-the-devil

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

'Just been to see it. Good graphics but little resemblance to the biblical narrative. I would recommend it to anyone who likes 'monster' movies and baddies chewing legs raw off innocent animals.
                                "Your name and renown
                                is the desire of our hearts."
                                (Isaiah 26:8)

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X