Announcement

Collapse

Prayer Requests and Praise Reports Guidelines

Post your prayers, your words of encouragement, edification and help to another in this thread.

This area is strictly non-debate, all faiths or non-faiths are allowed.

Please keep in mind the rules: here
See more
See less

"Complex Abdominal Reconstructive Surgery"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is a bowel transplant an option?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intestine_transplantation

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      Thanks for the thinking and research, Sparko!

The answer is: no.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with my remaining small bowel and ileostomy.

The problem is how to keep the weight of the small intestine off of and out of the groin.

Comment

I would talk about the pain near your kidneys, if its a stone it will pass, if not it could be an infection that if not treated could lead to failure or worse. We don't like to mess with pain in the lower back because it really can be complicated. It could be something like a simple blood pressure issue too, which again needs attention. The Kidneys are responsible for a lot, and if they are not functional, a lot else can fail. When you begin to make decisions about your life at your age, John, I understand that its hard what right call is, put your comfort above all else, and pray about what the right thing to do is. As far as medical I went through some nursing school and worked as a care tech inside a Nursing home. Geriatrics was what I did especially comfort measures. Many thoughts and prayers to you.
        A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
        George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by John Reece View Post
          Thanks for the thinking and research, Sparko!

The answer is: no.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with my remaining small bowel and ileostomy.

The problem is how to keep the weight of the small intestine off of and out of the groin.
          ETA: How could I have forgotten?! The problem also includes how to keep the intestine from spilling out of the hole in the middle of my belly that is "big enough to throw a cat through" (quoting my original/now retired surgeon).

The muscle wall of my abdomen no longer exists: the muscle wall was severed from the groin to the sternum by surgery and subsequently the muscles have atrophied into mere strands on either side from the groin at the bottom of the abdominal cavity and from there up to the bottom of the chest cavity.

Currently I have a belt that restrains the topmost part of the intestine, but there is nothing but scartcissue to restrain the bottom part of the intestine, which ― except when I lie down ― pokes out in a bubble the size of a grapefruit, which cannot be restrained by any belt because when I sit down such a belt necessarily must rise up to the position of the belt mentioned above.

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
            I would talk about the pain near your kidneys, if its a stone it will pass, if not it could be an infection that if not treated could lead to failure or worse. We don't like to mess with pain in the lower back because it really can be complicated. It could be something like a simple blood pressure issue too, which again needs attention. The Kidneys are responsible for a lot, and if they are not functional, a lot else can fail. When you begin to make decisions about your life at your age, John, I understand that its hard what right call is, put your comfort above all else, and pray about what the right thing to do is. As far as medical I went through some nursing school and worked as a care tech inside a Nursing home. Geriatrics was what I did especially comfort measures. Many thoughts and prayers to you.
            Thanks for your very valued comments, Catholicity!

Comment

All our prayers are with you, John. Rest and put everything in the Lord's hands. Tell your doctor everything, and rely on your wife to help make decisions.
              אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
                All our prayers are with you, John. Rest and put everything in the Lord's hands. Tell your doctor everything, and rely on your wife to help make decisions.
                That's wonderful advice, robrecht ― especially the part about my wife, whose wise counsel in all things is the mainstay of my life, inspired by and second only to that of God Himself.

I married her for one reason and only one reason: I had asked God to speak to me during a period of time in which my life was so messed up that I did not know how to manage it; shortly thereafter a pastor introduced me to her; and shortly after that I was out for a walk when I heard or sensed in my spirit a voice saying "Marry her!" My response was "Yes, Sir!"

I had no idea what an inestimable blessing I was receiving!

Comment

God Bless and keep you John! We are praying for you Brother. I'm so sorry you have to fight this battle, but as you see from this thread, you do not fight the battle alone. Your TWEB family is there with you in spirit, supporting you with prayer and extending God's Agape love to you.

LJ
                  "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
                    God Bless and keep you John! We are praying for you Brother. I'm so sorry you have to fight this battle, but as you see from this thread, you do not fight the battle alone. Your TWEB family is there with you in spirit, supporting you with prayer and extending God's Agape love to you.

LJ
                    Thank you, LJ!

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko
                      ... They ended up doing hernia surgery and putting a mesh over the hole where the bowel had dropped through....
                      Thanks Sparko.

I have had that done on both sides in the past; in fact, one reason my former surgeon cut me all the way down to the pelvis at the time he operated to free the small intestine from a strangulating (of the small intestine) adhesion was to simultaneously repair an inguinal hernia in the manner you have described. That surgeon had previously done the same procedure on the other side; however, this past Wednesday my current surgeon found a new inguinal hernia under the mass of small intestine invading my groin on that side.

The facts above illustrate part of the challenge my current surgeon faces: the combination of mesh + staples to secure mesh to flesh is a rather fragile and undependable substitute for the normal structural attachments of abdominal organs.

My former surgeon ― in arguing 10 years ago that it was best to leave bad enough alone in my case at that time ― told me that statistically a certain percentage of all staples usually fail to hold onto the mesh and/or to the flesh to which the mesh is attached, in such mesh + staples repairs. Evidently that is even more of a problem with the "complex abdominal reconstructive surgery" that I now need, than it is in the case of individual inguinal hernia repairs.

I am happy to hear that you are doing better, Sparko.
                      Last edited by John Reece; 05-14-2016, 06:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko

I sure hope your surgery goes well and you recover quickly without pain.
                        Many thanks, Sparko.

Comment

I don't know what to say except to say that I am praying for you. Comfortable even if not completely recovered life.

Comment

Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
                            I don't know what to say except to say that I am praying for you. Comfortable even if not completely recovered life.
                            Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by John Reece View Post
                              I am at a point where I have wishful fantasies of heart failure sans resuscitation during the surgery; however, I do not expect that I will be so fortunate, as the health professionals that are dealing with my case are just too competent to allow such to happen.
                              Not that anyone wants to see you go (because we don't), but you have the option to specify Do Not Resuscitate (DNR). Talk to your doctor about it. There are forms, but they can help you fill those out.

DNR doesn't mean the end of medical treatment. They'll still move forward with the surgery. It just means that if something were to happen, which is possible given what you've said, they don't try to bring you back. You can get pretty specific with the conditions, too.

Just something to think about and talk with your wife about. It's not going to be an easy decision, I expect.
                              I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                                Not that anyone wants to see you go (because we don't), but you have the option to specify Do Not Resuscitate (DNR). Talk to your doctor about it. There are forms, but they can help you fill those out.

DNR doesn't mean the end of medical treatment. They'll still move forward with the surgery. It just means that if something were to happen, which is possible given what you've said, they don't try to bring you back. You can get pretty specific with the conditions, too.

Just something to think about and talk with your wife about. It's not going to be an easy decision, I expect.
                                Thanks for the thought, Carrikature.

Being retired (mental) health counselors at age 82, after having experienced many multiple surgeries ― including four abdominal surgeries for me and one as well for my wife ― we are quite well aware of DNR. In my case we have always insisted that the surgeons and nurses be cognizant of my wish not to miss an opportunity for me to pass peacefully sans heroic measures.

We always make sure that signed and cosigned documentation of our desires in this regard are included in all our medical paperwork on every occasion for such.

Thanks again for the post, which is good information for readers of the thread.
                                Last edited by John Reece; 05-19-2016, 08:41 AM.

Comment