Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

secret forces in oregon cities, as in DC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• secret forces in oregon cities, as in DC

This is beyond the pale - and really quite unnerving. We do not do this sort of thing in the US, and yet, Trump is doing it. The US attorney in Oregon has launched an investigation. These unidentified (presumably legitimate) law enforcement agents have been seen arresting peaceful protestors and hauling them off in SUV's.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/18/us/po...ies/index.html

So this is not just a strange anomalous thing that showed up in DC during the Floyd protests. This is some sort of 'force' that Trump has created and is deploying wherever he thinks it is 'appropriate'. They are not uniformed, they do not identify themselves.

I truly hope those posting here in favor of Trump can recognize the very real and present danger of secret, heavily armed and unidentified forces deployed at the behest of the president against the wishes of state governments across the United States.
    Last edited by oxmixmudd; 07-18-2020, 10:28 AM.
    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    This is beyond the pale - and really quite unnerving. We do not do this sort of thing in the US, and yet, Trump is doing it. The US attorney in Oregon has launched an investigation. These unidentified (presumably legitimate) law enforcement agents have been seen arresting peaceful protestors and hauling them off in SUV's.

So this is not just a strange anomalous thing that showed up in DC during the Floyd protests. This is some sort of 'force' that Trump has created and is deploying wherever he thinks it is 'appropriate'. They are not uniformed, they do not identify themselves.

I truly hope those posting here in favor of Trump can recognize the very real and present danger of secret, heavily armed and unidentified forces deployed at the behest of the president against the wishes of state governments across the United States.
    They are not secret everyone knows about them. And they are going after those who are trying to destroy federal property. GOOD!
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
      They are not secret everyone knows about them. And they are going after those who are trying to destroy federal property. GOOD!
      "Unmarked"?

From the article...

Merkley also tweeted one video of such an arrest showing two masked, camouflaged individuals with generic "police" patches,

When our local police are doing raids, they wear vests that very clearly say "POLICE", and I guess you could argue it's "generic".

And....

US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) admitted to being one of the agencies involved in arresting protesters.

So much for "Secret".
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Quite honestly, I'm torn by this - it's a truly sad situation.

One of the claims is that the officers don't have names on their uniforms because the protesters use this information to threaten their families.
        I know this to be true.

We see the assault on police - the assassinations of police sitting in their marked patrol cars - TARGETED because they are police, and I can understand why these officers don't want to have targets on their backs.

It's a truly concerning situation to me, but it's pretty much brought on by the "anti police" movement, the whole "Defund" thing, and violent attacks on police.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

One of the claims is that the officers don't have names on their uniforms because the protesters use this information to threaten their families.
          I know this to be true.

We see the assault on police - the assassinations of police sitting in their marked patrol cars - TARGETED because they are police, and I can understand why these officers don't want to have targets on their backs.

It's a truly concerning situation to me, but it's pretty much brought on by the "anti police" movement, the whole "Defund" thing, and violent attacks on police.
          The states and the local governments did not request these forces. They do not want them to be there. This is a massive abuse of power and sets up for a special force at the presidents command on us soil. It is a very, very bad thing.
          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

The states and the local governments did not request these forces. They do not want them to be there. This is a massive abuse of power and sets up for a special force at the presidents command on us soil. It is a very, very bad thing.
            As I said, Jim, I'm torn by this. It appears to be Federal troops protecting FEDERAL property/courts.... where the states and local governments refuse to do so.

It's a tough one for me, because I'm pretty big into States' rights.

Comment

As I said, Jim, I'm torn by this. It appears to be Federal troops protecting FEDERAL property/courts.... where the states and local governments refuse to do so.

It's a tough one for me, because I'm pretty big into States' rights.
              Good enough. But I think you are playing it far too naively. There should not be an unidentifiable force deployed by the president in cities and states against the will of the local governments. We have the national guard. We have the local police forces. This unidentified secretive force is shades of the SS and Putin's 'little green men' and must be vigorously opposed.

Comment

Authoritarianism can encroach gradually with the slow erosion of what are deemed to be civil rights and liberties.
                "It ain't necessarily so
                The things that you're liable
                To read in the Bible
                It ain't necessarily so
                ."

Sportin' Life
                Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Good enough. But I think you are playing it far to naively.
                  Gratuitous condescension noted.

There should not be anbunidentifyable force deployed by the president in cities and states against the will of tte local governments.
                  That's the hard part - when the local governments are purposefully delinquent in providing safety and security for federal employees...

We have the national guard. We have the local police forces.
                  Jim, I think you are playing it far too naively... This is all about "defund the police", and NOT using the local authorities against the anarchists.

This unidentified secretive force is shades of the SS and Putin's 'little green men' and must be vigorously opposed.
                  No, they wore "Police" identifiers, although they're described as "generic", and we have agencies that have accepted responsibility for the arrests.
                  This is NOT "the secret police".

When my son-in-law leads a raid, all that is required is that they be indentified visually and audibly as "POLICE" -- and it is not at all unusual for local police to do their raids with ski-masks and no other "ID" than "POLICE".

Comment

I'm pretty sure this view would be the complete opposite if it was for fighting the big bad covid boogieman. In fact, weren't you all for Trump using executive power in order to enforce the lock-downs? I know carp sure was.

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
                      Authoritarianism can encroach gradually with the slow erosion of what are deemed to be civil rights and liberties.
                      Indeed. This is the continued legacy of authoritarian nations throughout history. Somehow many in this country have forgotten those lessons and are so used to the freedoms we enjoy they seem unable to allow themselves to see the clear historical implications of red flags like these.

Comment

If the local governments refuse to do their job and it is federal property that is being attacked then the local politicians really don't have a leg to stand on.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I know this to be true.

Many of those involved in raids on drug dealers have their faces covered by ninja-like masks for the reasons you've listed.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            If the local governments refuse to do their job and it is federal property that is being attacked then the locals really don't have a leg to stand on.
                            That's it. Here is the Mark O. Hatfield Federal Courthouse in question....

My apologies before hand -- it MAY be that the F word is also here, though partly obscured, but it helps make the point.

federal courthouse portland.jpg federal courthouse portland 1.jpg

There are several other photos I cannot post because the F-bomb is predominantly displayed.

If I were a federal employee, and the local authorities were derelict in their duties, and not protecting me, I'd WANT outside help!
                            Last edited by rogue06; 07-18-2020, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              Many of those involved in raids on drug dealers have their faces covered by ninja-like masks for the reasons you've listed.
                              Eggzackly -- and that was happening WAY back.... remember the Feds who took the little Cuban boy under Janet Reno?

But, all of a sudden, "Secret Police" is a major concern to the left.

Comment