Announcement

Collapse

LDS - Mormonism Guidelines

Theists only.

Look! It's a bird, no it's a plane, no it's a bicycle built for two!

This forum is a debate area to discuss issues pertaining to the LDS - Mormons. This forum is generally for theists only, and is generaly not the area for debate between atheists and theists. Non-theists may not post here without first obtaining permission from the moderator of this forum. Granting of such permission is subject to Moderator discretion - and may be revoked if the Moderator feels that the poster is not keeping with the spirit of the World Religions Department.

Due to the sensitive nature of the LDS Temple Ceremonies to our LDS posters, we do not allow posting exact text of the temple rituals, articles describing older versions of the ceremony, or links that provide the same information. However discussion of generalities of the ceremony are not off limits. If in doubt, PM the area mod or an Admin

Non-theists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Christianity is a falling religion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
    How long have fools been proclaiming the soon destruction of Christianity?
    How old is Shuny?
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
      How long have fools been proclaiming the soon destruction of Christianity?
      mossy remembers when Saul of Tarsus dismissed Christianity as "a fad" and "a passing craze" as he was leaving on a trip for Damascus.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
        You got Shuny'd. I don't even bother with him any more.
        As soon as he realizes Rea is not saying what he wants to believe he is saying (if Shuny ever admits it), he will immediately be saying that Rea is dead wrong, and that he (Shuny) never agreed with him, even 'though he is the one who cited him in the first place.
        אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

• Originally posted by robrecht View Post
          As soon as he realizes Rea is not saying what he wants to believe he is saying (if Shuny ever admits it), he will immediately be saying that Rea is dead wrong, and that he (Shuny) never agreed with him, even 'though he is the one who cited him in the first place.
          More likely he'll ignore the gaff than ever own up to it, type "trinity" and "polytheism" into his Google search bar again, and then uncritically quote mine the next 2 or 3 pages he comes across.

Comment

How old is Shuny?
            I believe Frank Doonan is 69 years old.
            When I Survey....

Comment

I left this window open and (signed out forgetting) because I had wanted to say something to you. Just an earned compliment

Dude your patience is AMAZING. Page after page after page and intelligent enough to know it was most likely going nowhere but still patient. I guess especially coming from my perspective of having little it seems extra extraordinary. You've inspired me to try your style (in the new year I willfully procrastinate). I am not completely convinced it always works online since my other hero here is lilpixie who had me rolling earlier today but hey still.....props.....great patience.

Comment

Nonresponsive. I asked: But do you realize that these are, according to Rea, conditions contrary to fact or not? Why do keep refusing to respond to this question?
                I consider your side of the dialogue employing contorted logic and highly selective consideration of references to justify your agenda, therefore nonresponsive.

Your challenge that I am misrepresenting traditional Christianity because they believe the Trinity to be monotheistic represents a very one sided biased view of what constitutes differences in interpretation. The same would be the differences between Judaism and traditional Christianity concerning prophesy and citations supporting the Trinity. Judaism claims that traditional Christianity is 'misrepresenting' the Torah text that it supports prophesies for Jesus, and support for the Trinity. Would this be true that this is 'misrepresenting' the beliefs of Judaism?

I read the footnoted source and do not consider it convincing IF the three persons are considered 'distinct' as opposed to 'manifestations' as described in the original article. The argument in (Bower and Rea 2005) is described as 'novel' and highly hypothetical depending on a lot of 'IFs' when comparing material 'sameness' with Trinitarian 'sameness.'
                Last edited by shunyadragon; 12-23-2015, 07:30 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                  I consider your side of the dialogue employing contorted logic to selectively justify your agenda, therefore nonresponsive.

I read the footnoted source and do not consider it convincing IF the three persons are considered 'distinct' as opposed to 'manifestations' as described in the original article. The argument in (Bower and Rea 2005) is described as 'novel' and highly hypothetical depending on a lot of 'IFs' when comparing material 'sameness' with Trinitarian 'sameness.'
                  So now you don't agree with Rea, right?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mikeenders View Post
                    I left this window open and (signed out forgetting) because I had wanted to say something to you. Just an earned compliment

Dude your patience is AMAZING. Page after page after page and intelligent enough to know it was most likely going nowhere but still patient. I guess especially coming from my perspective of having little it seems extra extraordinary. You've inspired me to try your style (in the new year I willfully procrastinate). I am not completely convinced it always works online since my other hero here is lilpixie who had me rolling earlier today but hey still.....props.....great patience.
                    Maybe it comes from helping students work on their dissertations. I only did this for a few years but it did teach me patience with others. It helps that I first had to learn to be patient with myself. I don't participate in too many threads, but from what I've seen of lilpixie's 'style', I don't like it.

Comment

Shuny rolled!!!
                      That's what
                      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Shuny rolled!!!
                        Well, you must admit, I called it ahead of time. He will probably now use these shenanigans as an excuse to abandon the conversation, which is a shame in my opinion. If he could learn to be respectful of the beliefs of others and self-critical of his own beliefs, he would be able to have productive dialogue. He does have valuable points to bring to the table and the Baha'i perspective is a very good one, in my opinion. I also don't like Rea's approach to the Trinity. The challenge for Shuny is to admit that he misread Rea's logic in this article, rather than claim that he supposedly changed his opinion between 2005 and 2006.
                        Last edited by robrecht; 12-23-2015, 08:03 AM.

Comment

Well, you must admit, I called it ahead of time. He will probably now use these shenanigans as an excuse to abandon the conversation, which is a shame in my opinion. If he could learn to be respectful of the beliefs of others and self-critical of his own beliefs, he would be able to have productive dialogue. He does have valuable points to bring to the table and the Baha'i perspective is a very good one, in my opinion. I also don't like Rea's approach to the Trinity. The challenge for Shuny is to admit that he misread Rea's logic in this article, rather than claim that he supposedly changed his opinion between 2005 and 2006.
                          I will not abandon the conversation despite your shenanagans.

Again, again, again, and again; What evidence do propose would possibly exist that would support or refute such an argument.

Comment

• Robrecht, you still have not responded to this problem.

Your challenge that I am misrepresenting traditional Christianity because they believe the Trinity to be monotheistic represents a very one sided biased view of what constitutes differences in interpretation. The same would be the differences between Judaism and traditional Christianity concerning prophesy and citations supporting the Trinity. Judaism claims that traditional Christianity is 'misrepresenting' the Torah text that it supports prophesies for Jesus, and support for the Trinity. Would this be true that this is 'misrepresenting' the beliefs of Judaism?

As far as OT scripture in this discussion concerning the Trinity versus pure monotheism I definitely side with the Jewism understanding of the nature of a monotheistic God as it evolved in the scripture of the OT from the Jewish perspective and reject the traditional Christian 'misrepresentation' and 'manipulation' of the text to justify the Trinity.
                            Last edited by shunyadragon; 12-23-2015, 08:44 AM.

Comment

I will not abandon the conversation despite your shenanagans.

Again, again, again, and again; What evidence do propose would possibly exist that would support or refute such an argument.
                              Looks like he's chosen the other option, robrecht - change the subject a bit, and attempt to put you on the defensive.
                              Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                              sigpic
                              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                                Looks like he's chosen the other option, robrecht - change the subject a bit, and attempt to put you on the defensive.
                                No change of subject whatsoever, nor nothing new. This is a question of a long standing problem with Robrecht asserting there was no evidence for my side of the discussion, but failing to demonstrate what sort of evidence would be possible in such a discussion.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X