Announcement

Collapse

LDS - Mormonism Guidelines

Theists only.

Look! It's a bird, no it's a plane, no it's a bicycle built for two!

This forum is a debate area to discuss issues pertaining to the LDS - Mormons. This forum is generally for theists only, and is generaly not the area for debate between atheists and theists. Non-theists may not post here without first obtaining permission from the moderator of this forum. Granting of such permission is subject to Moderator discretion - and may be revoked if the Moderator feels that the poster is not keeping with the spirit of the World Religions Department.

Due to the sensitive nature of the LDS Temple Ceremonies to our LDS posters, we do not allow posting exact text of the temple rituals, articles describing older versions of the ceremony, or links that provide the same information. However discussion of generalities of the ceremony are not off limits. If in doubt, PM the area mod or an Admin

Non-theists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Christianity is a falling religion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
    Where does it appear in your quotation?

That indeed was my view of his article.

You've yet to show that the rest of the article is relevant to this discussion. Certainly what you've quoted does not make your case.

Regarding brushing up on one's English, notice that the this statement begins with a double conditional clause. If you would read the footnote that you left out of your quotation, you would realize that this is a condition contrary to fact in his view.
    Last edited by shunyadragon; 12-21-2015, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
      False
      Do you have any way to try and support your assertion?
      אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Do you have any way to try and support your assertion?
        Your ignoring the context of the references to justify your own agenda.

False. Selectively pick and choose from the article to justify your agenda as you please, but his conclusions are clear and specific. Rea said: ."

Comment

You're still missing the point that the double conditional clause prior to the section you've underlined represents a conditional contrary to fact in his view. If you had understood the footnote that you left out of your citation, you would understand this.

Comment

You're still missing the point that the double conditional clause prior to the section you've underlined represents a conditional contrary to fact in his view. If you had understood the footnote that you left out of your citation, you would understand this.
            Last edited by shunyadragon; 12-21-2015, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Your ignoring the context of the references to justify your own agenda. ...
              But you are the one who left out the part of his text that shows you are reading his conditional clauses incorrectly. Clearly it is you who are not reading the the bolded words in context.

Comment

But you are the one who left out the part of his text that shows you are reading his conditional clauses incorrectly. Clearly it is you who are not reading the the bolded words in context.

Comment

Now you're just repeating your incorrect understanding of the text without responding to my attempts to explain the grammar to you. Do you understand what a conditional clause is? Do you understand what a conditional contrary to fact is?

Comment

Now you're just repeating your incorrect understanding of the text without responding to my attempts to explain the grammar to you. Do you understand what a conditional clause is? Do you understand what a conditional contrary to fact is?
                    ."

You are also hogging a thread off topic, and not giving polite consideration to the thread author. Your usual arrogant disrespect as in previous threads where you bulled yourself in off topic.

Again, again and again . . . you have not answered the question: What sort of evidence is there possible in this kind of argument?
                    Last edited by shunyadragon; 12-21-2015, 01:02 PM.

Comment

."

You are also hogging a thread off topic, and not giving polite consideration to the thread author. Your usual arrogant disrespect as in previous threads where you bulled yourself in off topic.

Again, again and again . . . you have not answered the question: What sort of evidence is there possible in this kind of argument?
                      I did already respond about the types of evidence. When you do not respect the right of others to define their own beliefs (eg, Christians defining themselves as monotheists), you will not succeed at meaningful dialogue with them. Rather, if you insist on pejoratively defining the beliefs of others, contrary to their own assertions, you will never rise above your religious polemics. While I did say that I was not speaking of scientific replicated evidence, I suppose someone could make the case that you have proved this point over and over again.

This thread began with a critique of trinitarian beliefs from a Mormon perspective. You wanted it to also be about a critique of Mormon beliefs. You also added your own difficulties with Christian views of the Trinity. I fail to see how you can accuse me of hogging a thread off topic any more than you have. It is true that I have been responding to your difficulties with the Trinity, but that is only because you are expressing them here. If you do not want this thread to be about correcting your errors of interpretation, then you can simply stop posting them here. If, on the other hand, you would pay attention to my attempts to explain the grammar of conditional clauses, specifically conditionals contrary to fact, you would succeed in finally understanding the text you keep repeating over and over again.
                      Last edited by robrecht; 12-21-2015, 01:28 PM.

Comment

brush up on your English.
                        Your ignoring the context
                        The irony. It burns.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                          The irony. It burns.
                          I thought the same thing. Shuny chiding ANYONE for their grammar skills is like an internationally wanted thief lecturing a child for stealing a pack of gum
                          That's what
                          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                          - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                            The irony. It burns.
                            No more ironic than Shunya's regular assertion that his opponents "duck, bob, and weave."
                            Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                            sigpic
                            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I did already respond about the types of evidence.
                              No you did not.

When you do not respect the right of others to define their own beliefs (eg, Christians defining themselves as monotheists), you will not succeed at meaningful dialogue with them. Rather, if you insist on pejoratively defining the beliefs of others, contrary to their own assertions, you will never rise above your religious polemics. While I did say that I was not speaking of scientific replicated evidence, I suppose someone could make the case that you have proved this point over and over again.
                              Differing in the interpretation as in all religious disagreements on interpretation has nothing to do with respect. It is simply a different interpretation of the belief.

What sort of evidence are you referring to?

This thread began with a critique of trinitarian beliefs from a Mormon perspective. You wanted it to also be about a critique of Mormon beliefs. You also added your own difficulties with Christian views of the Trinity. I fail to see how you can accuse me of hogging a thread off topic any more than you have. It is true that I have been responding to your difficulties with the Trinity, but that is only because you are expressing them here. If you do not want this thread to be about correcting your errors of interpretation, then you can simply stop posting them here. If, on the other hand, you would pay attention to my attempts to explain the grammar of conditional clauses, specifically conditionals contrary to fact, you would succeed in finally understanding the text you keep repeating over and over again.
                              As I said you need the review your English. Yes it refers to a conditional statement, but that does not change the conclusions of his article that a clearly 'positive' kataphatic Trinity is some form of polytheism. He said, If they were distinct than the conclusion of this essay would probably be that Rea:"Christians should learn to be content regarding themselves as in some sense polytheists". In 'positive' kataphatic definition of the Trinity there are three distinct persons as one God. He described if the three beings were defined otherwise as a form of 'manifestations' other than three distinct persons than that would be different case, and not a specific 'positive' kataphatic nature of three distinct persons.

Actually if you are arguing for a more apophatic position of the concept of the Trinity you would come close to if not in agreement with the Baha'i belief that there are 'manifestations' of God, and not distinct persons in a 'positive' kataphatic Trinity. Rea rightly concludes that this would not be considered polytheism.
                              Last edited by shunyadragon; 12-21-2015, 06:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Apocalypticsights View Post
                                I can see the day where Christianity or at least what people call Orthodox, corrupts and falls at the seams. The whole idea of the trinity makes no sense at all. People need to wake up and see the light. Three persons? One entity? That doesn't work. Its quite apparent, even with scripture that Jesus and God the Father are two separate entities. One day, we are going to see the uprising of the Mormon people. Stand and Unite for the LDS church, and praise our founder of the religion, Joseph Smith.
                                Pretty sure that's idol worship by definition.
                                "Kahahaha! Let's get lunatic!"-Add LP
                                "And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin is pride that apes humility"-Samuel Taylor Coleridge
                                Oh ye of little fiber. Do you not know what I've done for you? You will obey. ~Cerealman for Prez.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X