Announcement

Collapse

LDS - Mormonism Guidelines

Theists only.

Look! It's a bird, no it's a plane, no it's a bicycle built for two!

This forum is a debate area to discuss issues pertaining to the LDS - Mormons. This forum is generally for theists only, and is generaly not the area for debate between atheists and theists. Non-theists may not post here without first obtaining permission from the moderator of this forum. Granting of such permission is subject to Moderator discretion - and may be revoked if the Moderator feels that the poster is not keeping with the spirit of the World Religions Department.

Due to the sensitive nature of the LDS Temple Ceremonies to our LDS posters, we do not allow posting exact text of the temple rituals, articles describing older versions of the ceremony, or links that provide the same information. However discussion of generalities of the ceremony are not off limits. If in doubt, PM the area mod or an Admin

Non-theists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The Decline of Mormonism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seven7up View Post
    You claim that we "worship" Joseph Smith.
    You do, you just don't call it that. You even have a hymn about him.

Everyone knows that this is a lie. Including you.
    Nope.

No violation here.

-7up
    Well, I understand, having been hoodwinked into becoming a Mormon, and that Joseph Smith is a for-really prophet, you don't have the ability to discern a lie from the truth, so.... I'll cut you some slack.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      You do, you just don't call it that. You even have a hymn about him.

We also have a song about Noah and the ark.

-7up

Comment

-7up

So? We have a song about Ice Cream!
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Calm yourself, 7, and check out the new clarifications on accusations of lying. If you accuse me of lying, you have to specify what it was I lied about. I didn't lie.
          He has to also show that you knowingly told an untruth. And that opinions or matters of faith are not to be called lies. But then what else has he got? He can't argue against what we are saying. So all he can do is stomp his foot and throw a tantrum.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            He has to also show that you knowingly told an untruth. And that opinions or matters of faith are not to be called lies. But then what else has he got? He can't argue against what we are saying. So all he can do is stomp his foot and throw a tantrum.
            He seems... um... angry. Maybe he needs a hug.

Comment

-7up
              Post it - let's see if it praises Noah and/or the ark.

Meanwhile... From the LDS website....

1. Praise to the man who communed with Jehovah!
              Jesus anointed that Prophet and Seer.
              Blessed to open the last dispensation,
              Kings shall extol him, and nations revere.

(Chorus]
              Hail to the Prophet, ascended to heaven!
              Traitors and tyrants now fight him in vain.
              Mingling with Gods, he can plan for his brethren;
              Death cannot conquer the hero again.

2. Praise to his mem'ry, he died as a martyr;
              Honored and blest be his ever great name!
              Long shall his blood, which was shed by assassins,
              Plead unto heav'n while the earth lauds his fame.

3. Great is his glory and endless his priesthood.
              Ever and ever the keys he will hold.
              Faithful and true, he will enter his kingdom,
              Crowned in the midst of the prophets of old.

4. Sacrifice brings forth the blessings of heaven;
              Earth must atone for the blood of that man.
              Wake up the world for the conflict of justice.
              Millions shall know "Brother Joseph" again.

Text: William W. Phelps, 1792-1872
              Music: Scottish folk song

Now, I have given solid evidence for my claim that Mormons worship Joseph Smith. If you're any kind of decent fellow at all, you'll apologize for your false accusation that I lied.

Comment

So? We have a song about Ice Cream!
                Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

You claim that we "worship" Joseph Smith. Everyone knows that this is a lie. Including you. No violation here.

-7up
                  Oh please. There are SEVERAL hymns in the hymnbook praising Joseph Smith in a way that should only be reserved for God and Christ. Poor Wayfaring Man of Grief likens Joseph Smith to Jesus Christ. That IS worship! I used to be LDS and I sang those songs along with everyone else.
                  I am Punkinhead.

"I have missed you, Oh Grand High Priestess of the Order of the Stirring Pot"

~ Cow Poke aka CP aka Creacher aka ke7ejx's apprentice....

Comment

Originally posted by ke7ejx View Post
                    Oh please. There are SEVERAL hymns in the hymnbook praising Joseph Smith in a way that should only be reserved for God and Christ. Poor Wayfaring Man of Grief likens Joseph Smith to Jesus Christ. That IS worship! I used to be LDS and I sang those songs along with everyone else.
                    But, did you ever sing "I love Jesus better than Ice Cream, and Ice Cream's very good"?

Hmmm?

Comment

But, did you ever sing "I love Jesus better than Ice Cream, and Ice Cream's very good"?

Hmmm?
                      Nope, I was always sick the day they would sing that.
                      I am Punkinhead.

Comment

Even Joseph Smith worshiped Joseph Smith. Remember this:

"Come on! ye prosecutors! ye false swearers! All hell, boil over! Ye burning mountains, roll down your lava! for I will come out on the top at last. I have more to boast of than ever any man had. I am the only man that has ever been able to keep a whole church together since the days of Adam. A large majority of the whole have stood by me. Neither Paul, John, Peter, nor Jesus ever did it. I boast that no man ever did such a work as I. The followers of Jesus ran away from Him; but the Latter-day Saints never ran away from me yet."

History of the Church, vol. 6, p. 408-409

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          Even Joseph Smith worshiped Joseph Smith. Remember this:

"Come on! ye prosecutors! ye false swearers! All hell, boil over! Ye burning mountains, roll down your lava! for I will come out on the top at last. I have more to boast of than ever any man had. I am the only man that has ever been able to keep a whole church together since the days of Adam. A large majority of the whole have stood by me. Neither Paul, John, Peter, nor Jesus ever did it. I boast that no man ever did such a work as I. The followers of Jesus ran away from Him; but the Latter-day Saints never ran away from me yet."

History of the Church, vol. 6, p. 408-409
                          (bolding mine) How long after that was it that his own followers attacked him and caused him to have the 'great shootout' because he bilked them out of their wives, money, land, honor....

Comment

Post it - let's see if it praises Noah and/or the ark.

Meanwhile... From the LDS website....

1. Praise to the man who communed with Jehovah!
                            Jesus anointed that Prophet and Seer.
                            Blessed to open the last dispensation,
                            Kings shall extol him, and nations revere.

(Chorus]
                            Hail to the Prophet, ascended to heaven!
                            Traitors and tyrants now fight him in vain.
                            Mingling with Gods, he can plan for his brethren;
                            Death cannot conquer the hero again.

2. Praise to his mem'ry, he died as a martyr;
                            Honored and blest be his ever great name!
                            Long shall his blood, which was shed by assassins,
                            Plead unto heav'n while the earth lauds his fame.

3. Great is his glory and endless his priesthood.
                            Ever and ever the keys he will hold.
                            Faithful and true, he will enter his kingdom,
                            Crowned in the midst of the prophets of old.

4. Sacrifice brings forth the blessings of heaven;
                            Earth must atone for the blood of that man.
                            Wake up the world for the conflict of justice.
                            Millions shall know "Brother Joseph" again.

Text: William W. Phelps, 1792-1872
                            Music: Scottish folk song

Now, I have given solid evidence for my claim that Mormons worship Joseph Smith. If you're any kind of decent fellow at all, you'll apologize for your false accusation that I lied.
                            I sorry...
                            I am Punkinhead.

Comment

I sorry...
                              Not YOU, Punkinhead!

Comment

Back to the topic.

I haven't seen any mormons going door to door in years. I would say that mormonism is in the decline. Used to see them all the time around here.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X