Announcement

Collapse

Comparative Religions 101 Guidelines

Welcome to Comp Religions, this is where the sights and sounds of the many world religions come together in a big World's Fair type atmosphere, without those delicious funnel cakes.

World Religions is a theist only type place, but that does not exclude certain religionists who practice non-theistic faiths ala Buddhism. If you are not sure, ask a moderator.

This is not a place where we argue the existence / non-existence of God.

And as usual, the forum rules apply.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Catholic Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TimelessTheist View Post
    I'm sorry, I lost track. What was your question again?
    Oh, I see, so it's wrong because it makes you feel bad? Great argument there.
    Do you really believe that is what I was saying?
    אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
      Do you really believe that is what I was saying?
      That's what it seemed like, yes.
      Better to illuminate than merely to shine, to deliver to others contemplated truths than merely to contemplate.

-Thomas Aquinas

I love to travel, But hate to arrive.

-Hernando Cortez

What is the good of experience if you do not reflect?

-Frederick 2, Holy Roman Emperor

Comment

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
        This is the point where you'd be expected to back up the factual claims.
        Still waiting

Comment

That's what it seemed like, yes.
          And is that what you still think?
          אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Still waiting
            It says it in the Bible. You know about Peter as "the rock", right?
            Better to illuminate than merely to shine, to deliver to others contemplated truths than merely to contemplate.

-Thomas Aquinas

-Hernando Cortez

Comment

It says it in the Bible.
              The Bible doesn't say it* explicitly, so lay out the case.

You know about Peter as "the rock", right?
              First question. Why does Jesus refer to Peter as Πέτρος, and the rock the church is to be built on as πέτρᾳ?

*It, being, of course, the point I contested which was
              The sole Church of Christ [is that] which our Savior, after his Resurrection, entrusted to Peter's pastoral care, commissioning him and the other apostles to extend and rule it.... This Church, constituted and organized as a society in the present world, subsists in (subsistit in) in) the Catholic Church, which is governed by the successor of Peter and by the bishops in communion with him."

The Second Vatican Council's Decree on Ecumenism explains: "For it is through Christ's Catholic Church alone, which is the universal help toward salvation, that the fullness of the means of salvation can be obtained. It was to the apostolic college alone, of which Peter is the head, that we believe that our Lord entrusted all the blessings of the New Covenant, in order to establish on earth the one Body of Christ into which all those should be fully incorporated who belong in any way to the People of God."
              Last edited by Paprika; 04-04-2014, 07:34 AM.

Comment

First question. Why does Jesus refer to Peter as Πέτρος, and the rock the church is to be built on as πέτρᾳ?

The language in which Jesus spoke (and from which many scholars believe the Gospel of Matthew was translated) was Aramaic, in which the word in both cases would have been kepha/Cephas. The weaker noun petrus is used in the first instance because it's masculine and therefore more appropriate to use in reference to a man, while the second word makes the meaning clear.
                Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

How is that a problem? Greek scholars admit that "petra" and "petros" are actually synonomous.

-Thomas Aquinas

-Hernando Cortez

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
                    T The weaker noun petrus is used in the first instance because it's masculine and therefore more appropriate to use in reference to a man
                    Then why isn't the second "rock" masculine as well?

Comment

• Originally posted by TimelessTheist View Post
                      How is that a problem? Greek scholars admit that "petra" and "petros" are actually synonomous.
                      I'm fine if you don't see this as a problem now. Meanwhile, can you defend the overall case, as you said you would?

Comment

• Originally posted by Paprika View Post
                        Then why isn't the second "rock" masculine as well?
                        Because petra, the feminine noun, was used far more commonly to refer to a larger type of rock.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
                          Because petra, the feminine noun, was used far more commonly to refer to a larger type of rock.
                          1) So you're saying that petra in general usage would refer to a different type of rock than petros?
                          2) If petra is supposed to be referring to Peter, why would Jesus say "on this rock I will build my church" instead of "on you I will build my church", given that Jesus otherwise addressing Peter directly?

Comment

• Originally posted by Paprika View Post
                            1) So you're saying that petra in general usage would refer to a different type of rock than petros?

2) If petra is supposed to be referring to Peter, why would Jesus say "on this rock I will build my church" instead of "on you I will build my church", given that Jesus otherwise addressing Peter directly?
                            The Aramaic, which I already explained, is far more important. I know why you don't want to deal with it, but it'd really be better all-around if you did.

Comment

• 2) If petra is supposed to be referring to Peter, why would Jesus say "on this rock I will build my church" instead of "on you I will build my church", given that Jesus otherwise addressing Peter directly?
                              Peter's new name became "petros", how is that not clear enough?

-Thomas Aquinas

-Hernando Cortez

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
                                The Aramaic, which I already explained, is far more important. I know why you don't want to deal with it, but it'd really be better all-around if you did.
                                We do not have what Jesus said in Aramaic. What we do have is the Greek, which is why I am dealing with the Greek. If you do want to make an argument from a reconstruction of the Aramaic, feel free to do so, but I think it'll need much more detail and rigor then you have given it.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X