Announcement

Collapse

Comparative Religions 101 Guidelines

Welcome to Comp Religions, this is where the sights and sounds of the many world religions come together in a big World's Fair type atmosphere, without those delicious funnel cakes.

World Religions is a theist only type place, but that does not exclude certain religionists who practice non-theistic faiths ala Buddhism. If you are not sure, ask a moderator.

This is not a place where we argue the existence / non-existence of God.

And as usual, the forum rules apply.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Catholic Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TimelessTheist View Post
    Well, seeing as how I just recently debated an anti-Roman Jansenist heretic (Quite well, if I do say so myself :D), it put me in a debating mood, and there isn't a thread like this yet, I'll be the first to do something like this. To anyone either is not a Roman Catholic, or was one and left, I want to know: Why? Tell me any problems you have with the Church of Rome, and I'll answer them to the best of my abilities.
    The Roman Church teaches the obtaining of God's grace through rites versus through faith in God's Christ alone.

"Whosoever believeth Jesus is the Christ is born of God, . . . " -- 1 John 5:1.
    And the new birth is what God does and gives the believer, "Who were born, . . . of God." -- John 1:13.
    "Of his own will begat he us with the word of truth, . . ." -- James 1:18.
    . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

• Originally posted by 37818 View Post
      The Roman Church teaches the obtaining of God's grace through rites versus through faith in God's Christ alone.

"Whosoever believeth Jesus is the Christ is born of God, . . . " -- 1 John 5:1.
      And the new birth is what God does and gives the believer, "Who were born, . . . of God." -- John 1:13.
      "Of his own will begat he us with the word of truth, . . ." -- James 1:18.
      John 6:54-Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.
      Better to illuminate than merely to shine, to deliver to others contemplated truths than merely to contemplate.

-Thomas Aquinas

I love to travel, But hate to arrive.

-Hernando Cortez

What is the good of experience if you do not reflect?

-Frederick 2, Holy Roman Emperor

Comment

• It's anti-beef.
        I'm fairly sure this has been the most unfunny joke session next to a Carlos Mencia stand-up act, so thanks for that.
        Better to illuminate than merely to shine, to deliver to others contemplated truths than merely to contemplate.

-Thomas Aquinas

-Hernando Cortez

Comment

• He who eats of my processed beef and drinks of my large Mello Yello shall wish they were dead before the last day.

Comment

John 6:54-Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.
            Agreed. Since that does not say any rite (work) is needed to obtain God's grace here.

" That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. . . ." -- John 3:15.
            ". . . And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst. . . . It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, [they] are spirit, and [they] are life. . . . " -- John 6:35, . . 63.
            ". . . He that hath the Son hath life; [and] he that hath not the Son of God hath not life. These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, . . . " -- 1 John 5:12, 13.
            . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

• Agreed. Since that does not say any rite (work) is needed to obtain God's grace here.
              Uh, yeah he did. He just said that anyone who takes the Eucharist will be ensured eternal life.

" That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. . . ." -- John 3:15.
              ". . . And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst. . . . It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, [they] are spirit, and [they] are life. . . . " -- John 6:35, . . 63.
              ". . . He that hath the Son hath life; [and] he that hath not the Son of God hath not life. These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, . . . " -- 1 John 5:12, 13.
              Yes, however, belief only gets you entry into the covenant. In order to keep it, you must be given the sacraments, as long as you have access to them, that is.

-Thomas Aquinas

-Hernando Cortez

Comment

Uh, yeah he did. He just said that anyone who takes the Eucharist will be ensured eternal life.
                This doesn't mean that it's necessary to eat the Eucharist to get eternal life.

Comment

I think that is a mischaracterization of the Catholic theologies of the sacraments. The fundamental maxim of any Catholic sacramental theology was expressed by St Augustine when he said that 'we are bound by the sacraments, but God is not'. We have lots of rules and teachings about sacraments to try and maintain church order, but the rite itself has no salvific power apart from the faith of the community, of which the rite is but an expression.
                  אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Surely you know that the context within which Jesus said this was not the Eucharist, but rather the necessity of belief in himself as the way to eternal life, as opposed to simply looking to the bread that he had miraculously provided for the crowd.
                    John 6:40 For this is the will of my Father, that everyone who looks on the Son and believes in him should have eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day.

Comment

• Originally posted by RBerman View Post
                      Surely you know that the context within which Jesus said this was not the Eucharist, but rather the necessity of belief in himself as the way to eternal life, as opposed to simply looking to the bread that he had miraculously provided for the crowd.
                      John 6:40 For this is the will of my Father, that everyone who looks on the Son and believes in him should have eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day.
                      Well, considering he called the bread "his flesh", and the wine "his blood", and said this right after he delivered the teachings of the Eucharist, yes, that is exactly the context. If you have faith, it's a given that you should follow the sacraments as well.

-Thomas Aquinas

-Hernando Cortez

Comment

Well, considering he called the bread "his flesh", and the wine "his blood", and said this right after he delivered the teachings of the Eucharist, yes, that is exactly the context. If you have faith, it's a given that you should follow the sacraments as well.
                        Not unless you consider God to be a photon (1 John 1:5). The language Jesus used as it reads in the Greek is metaphor, not to be taken as actually His body and blood, seeing that when He instituted the "remembrance" (Luke 22:19).

Comment

Not unless you consider God to be a photon (1 John 1:5). The language Jesus used as it reads in the Greek is metaphor, not to be taken as actually His body and blood, seeing that when He instituted the "remembrance" (Luke 22:19).
                          Jesus never pointed to a beam of light and said, "this is me." He did, however, do this to the bread and wine.
                          Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

Same phrase, but different passage; different context. The much-lower-than-God "Son of Man" in Jeremiah is not the messianic "Son of Man" of Daniel, for instance. Within the context of John 6, Jesus uses a bread metaphor because the people were fixated on the bread he had just given them miraculously. It's simply acontextual to say that Jesus' "bread of life" comments were about the Eucharistic bread, whether as a physical accident or transubstantiatively and mystically linked to Christ. Jesus explains his own terms in that passage: "eating the bread" means believing in Jesus.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
                              Jesus never pointed to a beam of light and said, "this is me." He did, however, do this to the bread and wine.
                              Well no. Not quite true. Jesus used metaphor, the bread representing His body broken, and the cup what was in it representing His blood shed. It was instituted as a remembrance of His death. The word of God does not say anything more. Interpreters of God's word do. Besides that, Judas who betrayed Christ, took of that supper too (Luke 22:19-22).

Comment

• Remember my objection?
                                Originally posted by 37818 View Post

"Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day."-- John 6:54.
                                Originally posted by TimelessTheist View Post
                                Well that is how you are interpreting it. But Jesus was speaking in metaphor of coming and believing in Him in that context. Which is somewhat different than metaphor used at the institution of the remembrance of His death. You have been taught to conflate these teachings, have you not?

Yes, however, belief only gets you entry into the covenant. In order to keep it, you must be given the sacraments, as long as you have access to them, that is.
                                As you are reading it. Yet Jesus promised the possession of eternal life.
                                "Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day."-- John 6:54
                                " Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life." -- John 6:47.
                                These two teachings are synonymous. Bible believing Christians know they have eternal life (1 John 5:1, 12, 13).
                                Last edited by 37818; 04-11-2014, 02:13 PM.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X