Announcement

Collapse

Comparative Religions 101 Guidelines

Welcome to Comp Religions, this is where the sights and sounds of the many world religions come together in a big World's Fair type atmosphere, without those delicious funnel cakes.

World Religions is a theist only type place, but that does not exclude certain religionists who practice non-theistic faiths ala Buddhism. If you are not sure, ask a moderator.

This is not a place where we argue the existence / non-existence of God.

And as usual, the forum rules apply.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Catholic Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by robrecht View Post
    The same can be said of some depictions of Jesus.
    Yea, but your mileage may vary.

Comment

• Originally posted by Just Some Dude View Post
      Don't forget the Anglicans either
      If NT Wright is any indication, the Anglican church has a lot to be proud of.

Comment

• Yea, but your mileage may vary.
        I particularly dislike fruity Jesus.

But I agree about some devotional practices going too far, with Mary or the saints or exorcism or practically anything.
        אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

• If NT Wright is any indication, the Anglican church has a lot to be proud of.
          Keep in mind that the Anglican Church also has John Shelby Spong.
          Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Every family has the creepy uncle they don't talk about.

Comment

• I could see myself ending up as a conservative Anglican eventually.
              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• Some Anglican churches are more high-chuch than Catholics. I've been in some that still have the altar facing away from the people.

Comment

• What's the significance of that? Is it analogous to God showing Moses his back?

Comment

• What's the significance of that? Is it analogous to God showing Moses his back?
                    In the Orthodox tradition, both the priest and the people are generally facing East ("as the lightning flashes from the east to the west, so shall the coming of the Son of Man be"). Then again, in the Orthodox tradition both the priest and laity are actively participating in and must be present at the liturgy. The priest isn't there to perform for the people but to offer service to God; other than brief blessings, the priest only faces the people to read the Gospel and preach the homily.
                    Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I think it was just the priest representing the congregation to God (only during the Eucharistic prayer), rather than a focus on the community as the Body of Christ. Catholics turned their altars around to face the people and started using the vernacular instead of Latin during the 1960s with the Second Vatican Council.

Comment

• Simon Tolkien on his grandfather, JRR Tolkien:

Comment

• Simon Tolkien on his grandfather, JRR Tolkien:
                          I always liked the English translation of the Jerusalem Bible and wondered if it was because JRR Tolkien was on the editorial board.

Comment

• Wow, I didn't know that!

Comment

• My main hang up with the Anglican Church is the association with Henry VIII, but I had a brief talk with Glenn P. online about it and his alternative perspective was helpful.
                              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• Originally posted by robrecht View Post
                                Also Marriage, which is only witnessed to by a minister. Not to mention any of the other sacraments performed by priests whose validity is recognized by the Catholic Church but who are not themselves members of or even in full communion with the Catholic Church.
                                Are you referring to the recognition by the Roman Church of the sacraments performed by some branches of the Orthodox Church?

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X