Announcement

Collapse

Philosophy 201 Guidelines

Cogito ergo sum

Here in the Philosophy forum we will talk about all the "why" questions. We'll have conversations about the way in which philosophy and theology and religion interact with each other. Metaphysics, ontology, origins, truth? They're all fair game so jump right in and have some fun! But remember...play nice!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

What Is Man?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seer View Post
    Not really, purpose suggests an intention, a goal. Nature has no goal or intention, except what haphazardly happens. Some species survive others don't, no purpose, no aim, no goal.
    Yes, "some species survive others don't",

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
      If god didn't exist seer, I think it would still be your "intention/purpose" to survive.
      Of course it would, it's how we've evolved. The survival instinct is common to all living creatures regardless of whether they actually do survive...in fact "More than 99 percent of all species, amounting to over five billion species, that ever lived on Earth are estimated to be extinct". Wiki.

Comment

Including fetuses?

Comment

If god didn't exist seer, I think it would still be your "intention/purpose" to survive.
          Yes, of course, that would be my subjective intention. Unless it was my intention to give up my life for a particular reason.
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Yes, of course, that would be my subjective intention.
            Was it your subjective intention to exist? No. So where do you think that your subjective intention to continue to exist, to survive, comes from? Nothing about existence, about life, is objectively intentional, and the purpose for your being is no more objective than a tadpoles.

Unless it was my intention to give up my life for a particular reason.
            It is no ones intention to give up their lives, giving up their lives is secondary to, or the result of, their actual intention. Some give up their lives with the intention to free themselves from pain, some for what they perceive to be glory or honor, and some because they believe an award of a second and eternal life awaits them.

Comment

Originally posted by arnoldo View Post
              Including fetuses?

Comment

Yes, of course, that would be my subjective intention. Unless it was my intention to give up my life for a particular reason.
                No it wouldn't. It would be your instinct to survive, as evolved via natural selection. It would be no more your "subjective intention" than a housefly trying to avoid being swatted.

Comment

Was it your subjective intention to exist? No. So where do you think that your subjective intention to continue to exist, to survive, comes from? Nothing about existence, about life, is objectively intentional, and the purpose for your being is no more objective than a tadpoles.
                  Bottom line Jim, is that nature does not intend anything, it did not intend us to survive or not survive. There is no purpose for our existence.
                  Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Babies born at 6 months of age have a 50% chance of survial outside of the mother's body.
                    rsz_1850px-prenatal_development_tablesvg.jpg
                    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fetal_viability

Comment

Bottom line Jim, is that nature does not intend anything, it did not intend us to survive or not survive. There is no purpose for our existence.

Comment

Correct, there is no ultimate purpose for existence because existence just is. As Tass pointed out above, there is no logical objective reason to believe that existence was intentionally created, there is only a subjective reason for your belief which is your desire to continue to exist.

Comment

Correct, there is no ultimate purpose for existence because existence just is. As Tass pointed out above, there is no logical objective reason to believe that existence was intentionally created, there is only a subjective reason for your belief which is your desire to continue to exist.
                          Then you guys agree with Dawkins:

"In a universe of electrons and selfish genes, blind physical forces and genetic replication, some people are going to get hurt, other people are going to get lucky, and you won't find any rhyme or reason in it, nor any justice. The universe that we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but pitiless indifference

Comment

Just look at the world around you seer, if you step outside of your own mind for just a sec and take an objective look, what Dawkins says is exactly what is seen. Some people get hurt, other people get lucky, and there is no rhyme or reason to it, nor any objective or ultimate justice. But there is justice, there is purpose, evil and good, as well as pity or empathy, but those things aren't objective realities, they are subject to existence itself.

Comment

Comment

Comment