Announcement

Collapse

Philosophy 201 Guidelines

Cogito ergo sum

Here in the Philosophy forum we will talk about all the "why" questions. We'll have conversations about the way in which philosophy and theology and religion interact with each other. Metaphysics, ontology, origins, truth? They're all fair game so jump right in and have some fun! But remember...play nice!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Is Time Real?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
    It keeps on slippin', slippin', slippin'...

into the future.
    And flowing under the bridge

like a river.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      "now" is an illusion.
      I'm not sure I used the word 'now', anywhere.

God knows all of space-time at once. He knows what you will eat for breakfast two weeks from now. The person you are when you are reading this post won't know that. But the person you will be in two-weeks will know because it will have happened. You made a free will choice and God already knows what it is. The future is just as real as the past and the present.
      I'm not sure you actually answered the question I gave you. Is your view, that God know about this, because in some sense He's experiencing the space-time he's created, or would He have known about this prior to creating the world?

Yet, unless he forces you to eat a specific breakfast in two weeks, taking away your free will, then there is no way for him to know what you will eat if the future does not exist.
      How wide a discussion do you want here? Seer started with a question about what time was. Now you're talking about the how freedom of the human will is compatible with Divine Omniscience. Is this strictly relevant to the discussion?

Not quite. I think that God knows the future because when he created the universe, he created the entire universe which includes the 4th dimension of time, just like he created the 3 dimensions of space. Also I am a molinist but that might be getting in too deep for this thread.
      I'm still not certain I understand why you think this view of time is necessary then in order God to know of the future. Sure the future could just exist potentially, the universe moving in a succession of changes. The past would then exist objectively only in the sense that the universe passed through those stages in the past, not that these "slices" of the universe are still hanging around in the 4th dimension.

The discussion is bifurcating too much to go into any details, but I'm not sure that view really makes sense. That's really as much I feel comfortable saying, because right now this thread is growing like a fractal.

Changeless means God's essential qualities and nature. It doesn't mean he can't experience anything.
      There's not distinction in God, there's no complexity. He's perfect simplicity, which means He simple is His properties, and you can't seperate them. So there's nothing in God that can undergo change, without God litterally changing his nature and becoming a different God. That's why classical theology has always held that God must have known of the future from all eternity. Molinus would actually agree, he would merely say that God has middle knowledge of humans actions, and is by knowing this that He could set things in motion knowing perfectly what would happen in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        Everyone who watches Star Trek knows that time is made up of Chronoton particles emitting Chronometic radiation.

Comment

Btw Sparko I didn't mean to imply something bad about you when I said 'cartoonish model', thinking back it might have come off like that which wasn't what I intended.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            And flowing under the bridge

like a river.

I keep time in a bottle.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
              I'm not sure I used the word 'now', anywhere.

I'm not sure you actually answered the question I gave you. Is your view, that God know about this, because in some sense He's experiencing the space-time he's created, or would He have known about this prior to creating the world?
              I thought I was clear about my view of time. God created all of time and space at once. It included all of our free will choices which from a "future" perspective might seem fixed, just as we see the past as fixed from our perspective, but that doesn't mean the people in the past did not have free will or that we do not.

Comment

Anyway its getting late and I really need to avoid becoming a night raven. See you all some other time.

Comment

Seer A black hole is made of nothing but exists.
                  A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                  George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
                    Seer A black hole is made of nothing but exists.
                    A black hole is actually not "made of nothing." A black hole is composed of matter. It's a very large mass with a very small volume.
                    "[Mathematics] is the revealer of every genuine truth, for it knows every hidden secret, and bears the key to every subtlety of letters; whoever, then, has the effrontery to pursue physics while neglecting mathematics should know from the start he will never make his entry through the portals of wisdom."
                    --Thomas Bradwardine, De Continuo (c. 1325)

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing Pythagoras View Post
                      It's a very large mass with a very small volume.
                      Kinda like junk food. Lots of calories, precious little nutrition.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

If by Logos, you mean The Son, then no He didn't undergo change during the Incarnation, but a nature was added to the Divine Essence: the human nature and a human will.
                        As God the Son did not change. But how He was with God did change. The incarnation was a change. Not from being God. But from being God and with God. How He was with God did change in the incarnation. The Logos, God's Son was and is God's agent of change. Always has been. A cause is a change. The Son is the uncaused cause of creation. Uncaused being that He was God. A change in that He is the cause of creation (John 1:3).
                        . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

I think it provides the wrong kind of explanation for how God can know the future: "He can see it, he just looks into the past, or into the future to see what's coming." I think its a nice cartoon model for how God experiences the world, but I don't think it captures it. For one simple problem:

God has no sensations. He can't them, because He can't undergo change, and he doesn't need them because He's omniscient.

Also His knowledge of the world, is not dependent on the world, but here you seem to be saying that God only knows about the future because He can see it somehow.

Do you agree?
                          *emphasis mine

Presumes facts not in evidence. I don't see how you could possibly support this.

So, how do you support it? I'd like to know because I really don't see this.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                            So time has no physical substance. Like I asked, is there anything else in the universe that is real but does not have physical substance?
                            Yes, matter.

When you boil matter down to particles it gets less and less 'material' as we understand the term in the macro sense. Assuming string theory* 'matter' is somewhat illusory - an experience we have but not a good description of the actual reality.

*As I recall, other theories of particle composition have similar conclusions. Your mileage may vary.
                            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

I didn't claim that God can't perform actions, but it remains the case that God Himself does not undergo change during these, and in as much as a sensation requires a change in the one having it, God can't sense anything. Also since God is omniscient on His own, from eternity, even without having created the world, it can't then be the world that is the cause of God's knowledge of the future. Otherwise God would have undergone change, when He caused the universe to exist.
                              Then how could He love in either the emotional or the 1 Cor 13 senses of the term?

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing Pythagoras View Post
                                The fact that it is not "made of" anything does not mean it has no physical substance.
                                Um, what? Even in the view that matter is ultimately formed of energy it still has a composition.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment