Announcement

Collapse

Philosophy 201 Guidelines

Cogito ergo sum

Here in the Philosophy forum we will talk about all the "why" questions. We'll have conversations about the way in which philosophy and theology and religion interact with each other. Metaphysics, ontology, origins, truth? They're all fair game so jump right in and have some fun! But remember...play nice!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Determinism And Rationality.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by seer View Post
    Then what is it? If it is not DNA?
    Maybe it's a brain of a certain size and complexity.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stoic View Post
      Maybe it's a brain of a certain size and complexity.
      So DNA in a certain configuration is self-aware. It is still DNA. And I'm not sure how complexity equals awareness.
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

So DNA in a certain configuration is self-aware. It is still DNA. And I'm not sure how complexity equals awareness.
        I'm not sure either. But I don't really have to be, any more than I have to be sure how that self-awareness came about.

Comment

I'm not sure either. But I don't really have to be, any more than I have to be sure how that self-awareness came about.
          Are you sure that it came about through completely natural means?
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

There is absolutely no objectiveverifiableevidence that our physicalexistence andeverything in it is completely natural.

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
              There is absolutely no objectiveverifiableevidence that our physicalexistence andeverything in it is completely natural.
              Does that include your rational soul?

Comment

Does that include your rational soul?
                Yes, but the rational soul is an independent entity from the mind, consciousness and self -awareness. There is no objective verifiable evidence for the existence of the soul. at present. Actually a separate thread topic.
                Last edited by shunyadragon; 09-02-2020, 02:01 PM.

Comment

No, the rational soul is an independent entity from the mind, consciousness and self -awareness. There is no objective verifiable evidence for the existence of the soul. at present. Actually a separate thread topic.
                  Well no, according to your faith the rational soul is the intellect.

inherent properties of the soulthe soulcan discover the realities of things, comprehend the peculiarities of beings, and penetrate the mysteries of existence. All sciences, knowledge, arts, wonders, institutions, discoveries and enterprises come from the exercised intelligence of the rational soul

Comment

No, but I have no good reason to believe otherwise.

Comment

No, but I have no good reason to believe otherwise.
                      Well you are a materialist... No room for anything else...
                      Last edited by seer; 09-02-2020, 02:50 PM.

Comment

Well no, according to your faith the rational soul is the intellect.

inherent properties of the soulthe soulcan discover the realities of things, comprehend the peculiarities of beings, and penetrate the mysteries of existence. All sciences, knowledge, arts, wonders, institutions, discoveries and enterprises come from the exercised intelligence of the rational soul
                        Yes the soul has these attributes, but independent of the body and mind of humans.

You perpetually try to dishonestly and selectively cite the Baha'i Faith which you do not believe. The soul in the Baha'i beief is separate from the Body from the very beginning of life.

[cite=https://bahaiteachings.org/reality-of-the-soul/]
                        Know thou that the soul of man is exalted above, and is independent of all infirmities of body or mind. That a sick person showeth signs of weakness is due to the hindrances that interpose themselves between his soul and his body, for the soul itself remaineth unaffected by any bodily ailments. Consider the light of the lamp. Though an external object may interfere with its radiance, the light itself continueth to shine with undiminished power. In like manner, every malady afflicting the body of man is an impediment that preventeth the soul from manifesting its inherent might and power. When it leaveth the body, however, it will evince such ascendancy, and reveal such influence as no force on earth can equal. Every pure, every refined and sanctified soul will be endowed with tremendous power, and shall rejoice with exceeding gladness.

We disagree on this, but has nothing to do with the fact that other animals like other primates, sea mammals, and elephants habe the attribute os self awareness.

Comment

Yes the soul has these attributes, but independent of the body and mind of humans.

You perpetually try to dishonestly and selectively cite the Baha'i Faith which you do not believe. The soul in the Baha'i beief is separate from the Body from the very beginning of life.

[cite=https://bahaiteachings.org/reality-of-the-soul/]
                          Know thou that the soul of man is exalted above, and is independent of all infirmities of body or mind. That a sick person showeth signs of weakness is due to the hindrances that interpose themselves between his soul and his body, for the soul itself remaineth unaffected by any bodily ailments. Consider the light of the lamp. Though an external object may interfere with its radiance, the light itself continueth to shine with undiminished power. In like manner, every malady afflicting the body of man is an impediment that preventeth the soul from manifesting its inherent might and power. When it leaveth the body, however, it will evince such ascendancy, and reveal such influence as no force on earth can equal. Every pure, every refined and sanctified soul will be endowed with tremendous power, and shall rejoice with exceeding gladness.

We disagree on this, but has nothing to do with the fact that other animals like other primates, sea mammals, and elephants habe the attribute os self awareness.
                          Shunny:

The mind is not independent of the soul it is an inherent property of the soul. Your very thoughts and reasoning, understanding comes from the soul. Nothing you just quoted contradicts that. So human reasoning is not a natural phenomenon, it comes from the immaterial soul.

Comment

Well you are a materialist... No room for anything else...
                            There is no objective, verifiable evidence that there IS anything else.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                              There is no objective, verifiable evidence that there IS anything else.
                              According to what, science? The science you said could never prove anything?

Comment

According to what, science? The science you said could never prove anything?
                                According to the as I said. Or do you have objective, verifiable evidence of a non-material universe?

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X