Announcement

Collapse

Philosophy 201 Guidelines

Cogito ergo sum

Here in the Philosophy forum we will talk about all the "why" questions. We'll have conversations about the way in which philosophy and theology and religion interact with each other. Metaphysics, ontology, origins, truth? They're all fair game so jump right in and have some fun! But remember...play nice!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Interaction Problem Involving the Soul and Body

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• seer
    replied
    Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
    If there is no randomness, why are you arguing for randomness?
    The point is there is no randomness because God is involved and directing it. Which we both agree on...

Leave a comment:

• shunyadragon
    replied
    Originally posted by seer View Post
    The point is Shuny, there is no randomness, God created and ordered it all. Nature did not do this, God did...
    If there is no randomness, why are you arguing for randomness?

Leave a comment:

• seer
    replied
    Correct in terms of the belief we share concerning God, but denying the objective verifiable evidence that falsifies beyond a reasonable doubt that science, including the sciences of abiogenesis and evolution are based on God's attributes of Creation.
    The point is Shuny, there is no randomness, God created and ordered it all. Nature did not do this, God did...

Leave a comment:

• Tassman
    replied
    Of course there was no randomness because God created us and He doesn't do random. I'm so glad we agree.
    This is a faith-belief only which, unlike science, is unsupported by objective verifiable falsifiable evidence.
    Last edited by Tassman; 03-13-2019, 12:01 AM.

Leave a comment:

• shunyadragon
    replied
    Of course there was no randomness because God created us and He doesn't do random. I'm so glad we agree.
    Correct in terms of the belief we share concerning God, but denying the objective verifiable evidence that falsifies beyond a reasonable doubt that science, including the sciences of abiogenesis and evolution are based on God's attributes of Creation.

Leave a comment:

• seer
    replied

Absolutely NO!

Leave a comment:

• shunyadragon
    replied
    Of course that is true, no one thinks that it was inevitable, no one thinks that earth had to have the conditions necessary for life.
    Again, again, again, again 'had to have' has absolutely nothing to with the discussion when we are addressing the science of abiogenesis and evolution. The Laws of Nature determine whether there is an environment, and when there is a suitable environment on a planet anywhere in the universe there will be abiogenesis and the evolution of life.

Good so you agree that there was randomness in our evolutionary history...

Absolutely NO!

Leave a comment:

• seer
    replied
    A very separate issue from misrepresenting science to justify an agenda, as you do concerning the science of abiogenesis and evolution misusing well established math concepts of randomness and chance as used in science.
    What are you talking about Shuny? You believe that God created man, so nature alone did not do this; there was intent and control by God.

Leave a comment:

• shunyadragon
    replied
    Thankfully Shuny neither of us believe in randomness since we both believe that God created man. No roll of the dice here...
    A very separate issue from misrepresenting science to justify an agenda, as you do concerning the science of abiogenesis and evolution misusing well established math concepts of randomness and chance as used in science.

Leave a comment:

• seer
    replied
    No, as referenced randomness only can be applied to the randomness of one event, like the throw of a dice. It does not apply to evolutionary history beyond the randomness of an event.
    Thankfully Shuny neither of us believe in randomness since we both believe that God created man. No roll of the dice here...

Leave a comment:

• shunyadragon
    replied
    Of course that is true, no one thinks that it was inevitable, no one thinks that earth had to have the conditions necessary for life.
    I already stated that the abiogenesis and evolution was inevitable base don the suitability of the environment. The history of the earth has a suitable environment therefore abiogenesis and evolution was inevitable. Every planet in the universe with a suitable environment will have the abiogenesis and evolution of life. The cause of the planet with a suitable environment for life is based on the Laws of Nature.

No, as referenced randomness only can be applied to the randomness of one event, like the throw of a dice. It does not apply to evolutionary history beyond the randomness of an event.
    Last edited by shunyadragon; 03-11-2019, 08:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• seer
    replied
    As far as an unbiased perspective, why does human evolution have to be inevitable?

You did say: "Shuny, no one believes that life on earth was inevitable, . . . "

I did not say the evolution of humans was inevitable. I said, "abiogenesis and evolution was inevitable."

Leave a comment:

• shunyadragon
    replied
    I made it clear that human life did not have to evolve as it did, or at all - it did not have to happen as it did, it was not inevitable. There was a good deal of randomness involved as the New Scientist article I linked showed. And it was also not inevitable that earth would have the conditions necessarily for evolution. More randomness...
    I already shoot down your use of randomness from the scientific perspective, but you persist. I will cite how you are misrepresenting the use of chance too from the science perspective. Your unfortunate us of randomness and chance using a layman's understanding, a religious agenda, and no basis in science continues to be an unresolved problem.

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    Originally posted by JohnHermes View Post
    DesertBerean Computers are created based on nature's laws(especially based on the human body) All we did was "mimick" it into something totally new.
    Uh, no.

that is what is known as "rationalizing" and trying to come up with analogies after the fact.

and you obviously know nothing about electronics or how computers came about.

Leave a comment:

• shunyadragon
    replied
    I made it clear that human life did not have to evolve as it did, or at all - it did not have to happen as it did, it was not inevitable. There was a good deal of randomness involved as the New Scientist article I linked showed. And it was also not inevitable that earth would have the conditions necessarily for evolution. More randomness...
    As far as an unbiased perspective, why does human evolution have to be inevitable?

You did say: "Shuny, no one believes that life on earth was inevitable, . . . "

I did not say the evolution of humans was inevitable. I said, "abiogenesis and evolution was inevitable."

I also support that our evolution is environment driven, and a product of the Laws of Nature. Human evolution does not have to inevitable to be based on the Laws of NAture and the environment.
    Last edited by shunyadragon; 03-10-2019, 11:33 AM.

Leave a comment: