Announcement

Collapse

Philosophy 201 Guidelines

Cogito ergo sum

Here in the Philosophy forum we will talk about all the "why" questions. We'll have conversations about the way in which philosophy and theology and religion interact with each other. Metaphysics, ontology, origins, truth? They're all fair game so jump right in and have some fun! But remember...play nice!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Interaction Problem Involving the Soul and Body

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    Where's your evidence of this?
    Kerry Packer, former Australian media magnate, famously told a story on his own TV network after he was clinically dead for 7 minutes following a heart attack. He said: "and what did I see while I was dead? Answer (with an evil cackle) "NOTHING!" I suspect that this applies to most people.

Research is now revealing scientific explanations for virtually all of the common features of those that do have NDE's:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...nd-near-death/

Comment

• You simply repeat yourself and have provided no evidence of the mind not surviving death.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
        Kerry Packer, former Australian media magnate, famously told a story on his own TV network after he was clinically dead for 7 minutes following a heart attack. He said: "and what did I see while I was dead? Answer (with an evil cackle) "NOTHING!" I suspect that this applies to most people.

Research is now revealing scientific explanations for virtually all of the common features of those that do have NDE's:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...nd-near-death/
        If his mind didn't survive death, how did he retain his mind when he was revived? Obviously his mind survived his death and was there when he was revived.

Comment

You simply repeat yourself and have provided no evidence of the mind not surviving death.
          There is NO evidence of the mind surviving death apart from unverified anecdotal accounts. If I'm repeating myself it's because nothing more can be said.

Comment

If his mind didn't survive death, how did he retain his mind when he was revived? Obviously his mind survived his death and was there when he was revived.
            Well to paraphrase the Munchkins: He was only merely dead, not really, sincerely, truly dead.

Comment

There is NO evidence of the mind surviving death apart from unverified anecdotal accounts. If I'm repeating myself it's because nothing more can be said.
              You just said there was no evidence and then listed evidence.

Comment

Well to paraphrase the Munchkins: He was only merely dead, not really, sincerely, truly dead.
                So you are saying that you have no evidence that the mind doesn't survive death then?

Obviously if he was clinically dead and when he revived he still had a mind then the mind survives death.

Comment

So you are saying that you have no evidence that the mind doesn't survive death then?

Obviously if he was clinically dead and when he revived he still had a mind then the mind survives death.
                  And you have no evidence that the mind survives death, because if someone is said to come back to life, then they weren't really dead to begin with. When you know of someone who has actually died and resurrected from their grave, other than biblical fairy tales i.e, then let us know.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                    And you have no evidence that the mind survives death, because if someone is said to come back to life, then they weren't really dead to begin with. When you know of someone who has actually died and resurrected from their grave, other than biblical fairy tales i.e, then let us know.
                    Since the bible isn't fairy tales but eye witness documents, it does indeed count as evidence. And yet you still have ZERO evidence to the contrary. Sucks to be you.

Comment

You just said there was no evidence and then listed evidence.
                      apart from unverified anecdotal accounts
                      Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                      Since the bible isn't fairy tales but eye witness documents, it does indeed count as evidence. And yet you still have ZERO evidence to the contrary. Sucks to be you.
                      There is no eyewitness accounts of the NT stories. So again, hearsay might be "evidence" but It's not good evidence.
                      Last edited by Tassman; 01-30-2019, 10:59 PM.

Comment

Comment

Really, who were the eye witnesses to Genesis "documents" and Adam and Eve in the Garden?

Comment

apart from unverified anecdotal accounts
                            So it IS evidence then. I already said you might not think it is good evidence from your perspective. I doubt any evidence would be good from your point of view. But it IS evidence. Which is more evidence than you have.

There is no eyewitness accounts of the NT stories. So again, hearsay might be "evidence" but It's not good evidence.
                            The NT accounts ARE eyewitness accounts, Tassman. Except Luke, which was Luke gathering eyewitness accounts and publishing them instead. So you could call that second hand.

Comment

• And yet his mind survived death. Proof that you are wrong!

Besides, all it takes is ONE case to prove your claim wrong, since you believe there is no surviving death. So even if you have 100 cases of someone saying they don't remember an afterlife after being revived, all it takes is one to show you are wrong. Maybe the other guys are going to hell instead. Did you ever think about that? And since that doesn't happen until the judgment day, they could just remain in soul sleep until then. [cue twilight zone music]

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                                Really, who were the eye witnesses to Genesis "documents" and Adam and Eve in the Garden?
                                I was referring to the NT documents about Jesus' resurrection.

But yeah a lot of the OT books are eye witness too. The first 5 books are written by Moses though and were revealed to him by God.

Comment