Announcement

Collapse

Philosophy 201 Guidelines

Cogito ergo sum

Here in the Philosophy forum we will talk about all the "why" questions. We'll have conversations about the way in which philosophy and theology and religion interact with each other. Metaphysics, ontology, origins, truth? They're all fair game so jump right in and have some fun! But remember...play nice!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Atheism And Moral Progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    you are excusing your inaccurate generalization of Christianity by saying it's too confusing so you just leave it up to Christians to fight about.
    I'm not excusing anything, and I said nothing about "confusion." I said there are many points of view under the umbrella "Christian," and I listed some of them. I'm not going to get into a battle about differences of belief for a faith system I no longer see as accurate. I leave that to you folks to sort out for yourselves. So far, from where I sit, there's not much "sorting" and there continues to be the creation of new sects.

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    That pretty much excuses any bigotry or ignorance doesn't it?
    What on earth does this have to do with bigotry?

Do you believe it is inaccurate to state that "some Christians believe heaven and hell are rewards/punishments for a life lived well/poorly?"

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    "black people are criminals" - I can't be bothered to figure out all the various social groups in black society, I just leave it up to them to them to fight about. "Muslims are terrorists." "White people are racist." "Wiccan are devil worshippers"
    Some black people are criminals. Some white people are racist. Some Wiccan are devil worshipers.

I'm not sure what your objection is to. I retraced the thread and find no place where I said, "all Christians X" or even "Christians X." I said: "Christians follow their interpretation of the "Christian moral code" because they believe it pleases their god and their god requires it of them, or because they want to gain "eternity" with their god, or because they fear eternal damnation. I'm sure many do it for the same reasons I do: because they find value in other people and want to help. Ultimately, we all do what we do because we want to do it and believe it is important. If we didn't, we'd do something else."

Note the "or" formation of the sentence. You can't have "all" when you have a list with "or" in it. I think you're misinterpreting what I wrote.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
      They can't have scientific studies backing up their claims if their claims are idiotic. In other words it's not about what some goofballs might think, or claim, what is good or bad for people and society need conform to reason and logic, not just someones "say so."
      You are putting what YOU believe to be true over what an entire world believes to be true. You are as Seer pointed out, using your "say-so" as the ultimate authority on what is moral and immoral while at the same time mocking Seer and I for using God as the ultimate authority on what is moral and immoral.

I have pointed this out to you, Seer has pointed it out to you, and even Carpedm has pointed it out to you. Your refusal to "get it" is reaching legendary proportions.

Ferrous Cranus is utterly impervious to reason, persuasion and new ideas, and when engaged in battle he will not yield an inch in his position regardless of its hopelessness. Though his thrusts are decisively repulsed, his arguments crushed in every detail and his defenses demolished beyond repair he will remount the same attack again and again with only the slightest variation in tactics. Sometimes out of pure frustration Philosopher will try to explain to him the failed logistics of his situation, or Therapist will attempt to penetrate the psychological origins of his obduracy, but, ever unfathomable, Ferrous Cranus cannot be moved.
      http://www.flamewarriorsguide.com/wa...rouscranus.htm

Comment

You are putting what YOU believe to be true over what an entire world believes to be true. You are as Seer pointed out, using your "say-so" as the ultimate authority on what is moral and immoral while at the same time mocking Seer and I for using God as the ultimate authority on what is moral and immoral.

I have pointed this out to you, Seer has pointed it out to you, and even Carpedm has pointed it out to you. Your refusal to "get it" is reaching legendary proportions.

Ferrous Cranus is utterly impervious to reason, persuasion and new ideas, and when engaged in battle he will not yield an inch in his position regardless of its hopelessness. Though his thrusts are decisively repulsed, his arguments crushed in every detail and his defenses demolished beyond repair he will remount the same attack again and again with only the slightest variation in tactics. Sometimes out of pure frustration Philosopher will try to explain to him the failed logistics of his situation, or Therapist will attempt to penetrate the psychological origins of his obduracy, but, ever unfathomable, Ferrous Cranus cannot be moved.
        http://www.flamewarriorsguide.com/wa...rouscranus.htm
        No, you just don't get it. I'm using actual sound reason and logic as the ultimate authority, not just my "say so."

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
          No, you just don't get it. I'm using actual sound reason and logic as the ultimate authority, not just my "say so."
          No you are just claiming what you believe is due to "sound reason and logic" while dismissing anything that disagrees with you as "idiocy"

Have you provided any scientific studies that show that stealing is objectively immoral for all societies? No. You just assume that is the case.

Comment

• http://plainshumanities.unl.edu/ency...oc/egp.war.023

Comment

Ferrous Cranus is utterly impervious to reason, persuasion and new ideas, and when engaged in battle he will not yield an inch in his position regardless of its hopelessness.
              Sounds like me!
              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
                Sounds like me!
                The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Sounds like me!
                  more like Tassman. No matter what you show him, he just repeats the last thing he said. Like the "civil rights act" thing.

But JimL is a close second.

Comment

more like Tassman. No matter what you show him, he just repeats the last thing he said. Like the "civil rights act" thing.

Comment

My mom always used to tell me that I had a thick head. I know, I know - it's hard to believe...
                      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

My mom always used to tell me that I had a thick head. I know, I know - it's hard to believe...
                        She probably toughened it up by dropping you on it several times a day.

Comment

She probably toughened it up by dropping you on it several times a day.
                          Did know my mom?

Comment

But you just are judging them by YOUR standards and you have already admitted that an individual's moral views don't matter.
                            The point of view of the community of which we are a part, does matter however.

What is your "say so" compared to an entire world who has scientific studies backing up their claims?
                            Last edited by Tassman; 09-10-2018, 11:32 PM.

Comment

• Tassman your objection to my response to JimL doesn't even compute. And you are not helping him a bit. He believes morals are objective. You don't.

Comment

No you are just claiming what you believe is due to "sound reason and logic" while dismissing anything that disagrees with you as "idiocy"

Have you provided any scientific studies that show that stealing is objectively immoral for all societies? No. You just assume that is the case.
                                No, I'm saying that there are people, reasoning, logical people who when putting 2 and 2 together can conclude the obvious, and then there are pigheaded people who believe in what they call alternate facts. Nowadays we call them republicans/conservatives.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X