Announcement

Collapse

Philosophy 201 Guidelines

Cogito ergo sum

Here in the Philosophy forum we will talk about all the "why" questions. We'll have conversations about the way in which philosophy and theology and religion interact with each other. Metaphysics, ontology, origins, truth? They're all fair game so jump right in and have some fun! But remember...play nice!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Atheism And Moral Progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Again, why is our survival a "good?" Subjectively to us it is, but that is only our SAY SO. Which Jim seems to have a problem with.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post
      Well, by that logic, if the Allies had lost the war, then they would have been in the wrong. But you didn't answer my question, how can you condemn the Nazis? Especially if they had conquered the world, and society was then for the Aryans.
      Winning and running a tyranus regime isn't what determines the best interests of the people. As I keep trying to explain to the dunderheads, the moral system that is in the best interests of society, i.e. in the best interests of all the people of a community, has nothing to do with what one individual, or tyranus government, might think, or employ for their own nefarius purposes. What matters is how the moral system actually serves the living conditions of the society as a whole. And that is something that can be measured.

"Love does no harm to a neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law." (Ro 13:10) So to be good is to be loving. And "God is love" (1 John 4:8).
      And to love one another is a kind of all encompassing moral and therefore to love one another is a moral that is in the best interests of society and so is a moral that need not come from god in order to serve our best interests and be understood to be "good."
      Last edited by JimL; 08-24-2018, 09:06 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
        Again, why is our survival a "good?" Subjectively to us it is, but that is only our SAY SO. Which Jim seems to have a problem with.
        You're just being stubbornly silly now seer. "Why is our survival "good"? Is your survival a "good" to you? Yes? Well then, now you know why it's a "good!" And that is why a moral against murder is a "good" for the society in which you are a member.

Comment

• Good, when used as a noun, means either "that which is morally right; righteousness" or "benefit or advantage to someone or something." Clearly, the latter is subject to "say so." As I teach my students in class, you cannot assess "benefit" without a subject against which to assess it (in my student's case, a customer). Something that is a "good" for me may or may not be a "good" for someone else. Case in point, Bactrim and Septa are "good" for me if I have an infection. They are not a "good" for someone who does not have an infection, and can be a "bad" for someone who has an allergy to sulfa-based medications.

As for the morality-based definition, we've been around that merry-go-round more than enough times.

Bottom line, it might help the discussion if you are using the same definition of the terms.
          The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
            Winning and running a tyranus regime isn't what determines the best interests of the people. As I keep trying to explain to the dunderheads, the moral system that is in the best interests of society, i.e. in the best interests of all the people of a community, has nothing to do with what one individual, or tyranus government, might think, or employ for their own nefarius purposes. What matters is how the moral system actually serves the living conditions of the society as a whole. And that is something that can be measured.

And to love one another is a kind of all encompassing moral and therefore to love one another is a moral that is in the best interests of society and so is a moral that need not come from god in order to serve our best interests and be understood to be "good."
            It seems that only what YOU think is in the best interests of society counts JimL. So you are "God" in your little morality theory.

Comment

You're just being stubbornly silly now seer. "Why is our survival "good"? Is your survival a "good" to you? Yes? Well then, now you know why it's a "good!" And that is why a moral against murder is a "good" for the society in which you are a member.
              Jim everything you are saying completely relies on SAY SO. It is my opinion that our survival, my survival, is a moral good - my say so...
              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                Good, when used as a noun, means either "that which is morally right; righteousness" or "benefit or advantage to someone or something." Clearly, the latter is subject to "say so." As I teach my students in class, you cannot assess "benefit" without a subject against which to assess it (in my student's case, a customer). Something that is a "good" for me may or may not be a "good" for someone else. Case in point, Bactrim and Septa are "good" for me if I have an infection. They are not a "good" for someone who does not have an infection, and can be a "bad" for someone who has an allergy to sulfa-based medications.
                So our deaths would be bad for us, but a good for the Alien race that harvest us for food.

Comment

Oh, but the Nazis were all into survival of the fittest. Why isn't eugenics in the best interests of society?

What if the love we need must come from God, though? Speaking of Nazis, Corrie ten Boom met a guard after the war who had repented of what he had done in Corrie's prison camp. He asked her forgiveness, and Corrie couldn't do it. She then asked God for his love, and she was then able to forgive.

Blessings,
                  Lee
                  "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

Again, why is our survival a "good?" Subjectively to us it is, but that is only our SAY SO. Which Jim seems to have a problem with.
                    It is more than just our "say so". Survival is the basic driving instinct of all living creatures. You think it's so "good" that you want it to last for all eternity.

Comment

So our deaths would be bad for us, but a good for the Alien race that harvest us for food.
                      Yes, just as the deaths of the indigenous people of the countries we invaded during the colonial expansion was good for us but bad for the natives.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                        It is more than just our "say so". Survival is the basic driving instinct of all living creatures. You think it's so "good" that you want it to last for all eternity.
                        No Tass, the moral claim that our survival is a moral good only relies on our SAY SO. The fact that we have an instinct to survive has nothing to do with whether our survival is a moral good or not.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                          Yes, just as the deaths of the indigenous people of the countries we invaded during the colonial expansion was good for us but bad for the natives.
                          Yes, like in your country... And we are back to SAY SO...

Comment

• Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post
                            Oh, but the Nazis were all into survival of the fittest. Why isn't eugenics in the best interests of society?
                            Because there is no such thing as the fittest people.

What if the love we need must come from God, though? Speaking of Nazis, Corrie ten Boom met a guard after the war who had repented of what he had done in Corrie's prison camp. He asked her forgiveness, and Corrie couldn't do it. She then asked God for his love, and she was then able to forgive.
                            Corrie forgave the guard, not god, regardless of where he placed the credit. The point is that god is not necessary for the existence of morals that serve the best interests of society.

Comment

Yes, like in your country... And we are back to SAY SO...
                              So I take it then that, to you, good and evil mean nothing other than gods say so. Is that correct?

Comment

Because there is no such thing as the fittest people.
                                Surely some are more fit for survival than others, this is self-evident. So why not weed out the weak? Why not keep those with genetic illnesses from reproducing?

The point is that god is not necessary for the existence of morals that serve the best interests of society.
                                I find that I cannot love unless I have been loved, and "love comes from God" (1 John 4:7).

Blessings,
                                Lee
                                "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment