Announcement

Collapse

Philosophy 201 Guidelines

Cogito ergo sum

Here in the Philosophy forum we will talk about all the "why" questions. We'll have conversations about the way in which philosophy and theology and religion interact with each other. Metaphysics, ontology, origins, truth? They're all fair game so jump right in and have some fun! But remember...play nice!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The Strange Nature Of Dreams...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jim B. View Post
    This is a pretty old thread, so probably no one will respond to this, which is okay. But I had a weird dream once years ago I wanted to share to see if anyone had any thoughts. I dreamt that I was walking up the front walk to my house, up the steps to the front porch then across the front porch. It was all pretty vivid. Then I reached toward the front doorbell and pressed it and the moment I pressed it, my doorbell actually rang, waking me up and obviously ending the dream. It was a fed ex package. Was this an example of precognition?

Or was it a trick the mind plays on itself with its subjective sense of time? In other words, my subconscious heard the doorbell ring and filled in this narrative to explain it and convinced the temporal part of my brain that I was experiencing it before the bell rang?
    I think your second theory is the correct one. When we sleep dreams that are actually quite short, even just a few moments, can seem quite long. We are in an altered mind-state. A variation of your theory maybe that your sleeping brain perceived sounds in the front of your house (i.e. Fed Ex) and manufactured your dream as described just before your doorbell rang.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
      I think your second theory is the correct one. When we sleep dreams that are actually quite short, even just a few moments, can seem quite long. We are in an altered mind-state. A variation of your theory maybe that your sleeping brain perceived sounds in the front of your house (i.e. Fed Ex) and manufactured your dream as described just before your doorbell rang.
      That wouldn't follow for the events recalled in this thread.

http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...8-Premonitions
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

That was my thinking too. I've often noticed how external stimuli, like a lawnmower, will be incorporated into my dream in very ingenious ways to 'explain' the sound. I was just never aware of how dreams could bend the subjective sense of time-sequence though. That's almost as amazing as actual precognition. But that notwithstanding, if you look on the "Premonition" thread, I and others have had what at least seem to be precognitive experiences. These are all anecdotal, admittedly, and not under controlled conditions.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim B. View Post
          These are all anecdotal, admittedly, and not under controlled conditions.
          Anecdotal but true, and I'm not sure how they ever could be tested since they seem to show up on their own.
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            Lust wasn't just "looking at a woman" like a scantily clad woman walks by and you notice, but -"looks on a woman to lust after her" - purposely dwelling on unwholesome interaction with her.
            Actually, nobody said that, CP. The question was 'is simply thinking of committing a sin, a sin in itself. Sparko makes a logical point in his denial of that, but the bible in the words of Jesus contradicts him. To lust after a woman is itself a sin, i.e. to simply think about it is a sin.
            So, no, that's not what the Bible says.
            So yes, the bible does say that, so knock it off!

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
              Actually, nobody said that, CP. The question was 'is simply thinking of committing a sin, a sin in itself. Sparko makes a logical point in his denial of that, but the bible in the words of Jesus contradicts him. To lust after a woman is itself a sin, i.e. to simply think about it is a sin.
              You obviously don't understand the concept of lust, though I wouldn't be surprised if you practiced it in ignorance.

So yes, the bible does say that, so knock it off!
              No, the Bible doesn't say that, and I don't take orders from idiots.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                That wouldn't follow for the events recalled in this thread.

http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...8-Premonitions
                You are correct, it wouldn't. Your dream would come under the more general heading of sleep and dreaming. This functions as a sort of natural filing system, i.e. memory storage and elimination. Dreams may be bizarre but it seems that nature has its own way of associating ideas and patterns of thought. Here's a simple explanation:

https://www.wbur.org/commonhealth/20...-filing-system

Comment

You are correct, it wouldn't. Your dream would come under the more general heading of sleep and dreaming. This functions as a sort of natural filing system, i.e. memory storage and elimination. Dreams may be bizarre but it seems that nature has its own way of associating ideas and patterns of thought. Here's a simple explanation:

https://www.wbur.org/commonhealth/20...-filing-system
                  That has nothing to do with the fact of the dreams coming true within hours. A German Shepard did attack my dog just like in the dream, and his master was not present. Why not some other breed of dog? Why was his master absent? And the woman Penny contacting me? Why not Beth or Lucy?

Comment

You obviously don't understand the concept of lust, though I wouldn't be surprised if you practiced it in ignorance.
                    That comment doesn't refute what I said. If you think you know better what is meant by lusting after a woman than I do, then you need to tell us what you know, not just dismiss me as being ignorant.

No, the Bible doesn't say that, and I don't take orders from idiots.
                    Yes, in the words put into the mouth of Jesus, it does say that.
                    Last edited by JimL; 08-05-2019, 07:26 AM.

Comment

That comment doesn't refute what I said. If you think you know better what is meant by lusting after a woman than I do, then you need to tell us what you know, not just dismiss me as being ignorant.
                      I explained it earlier in the thread - it went over your head. Shocking, I know.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I explained it earlier in the thread - it went over your head. Shocking, I know.
                        No, you didn't. Apparently everybody except for you knows what is meant when from the mouth of the biblical Jesus is said that even lusting after a woman in ones heart is a sin.

Comment

No, you didn't. Apparently everybody except for you knows what is meant when from the mouth of the biblical Jesus is said that even lusting after a woman in ones heart is a sin.
                          Please define what you think "lust" is.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Comment

What happens every time I see Christie Brinkley?

Comment

Seriously? Why, did you come up with a new definition to fit your agenda? Strong desire, in this case, a strong sexual desire. To lust after!

Comment