Announcement

Collapse

Philosophy 201 Guidelines

Cogito ergo sum

Here in the Philosophy forum we will talk about all the "why" questions. We'll have conversations about the way in which philosophy and theology and religion interact with each other. Metaphysics, ontology, origins, truth? They're all fair game so jump right in and have some fun! But remember...play nice!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Abortion Is Equal To Murder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by seer View Post
    Nonsense Tass, that thread I started about infanticide disputes your definition of personhood and you had NO RATIONAL response. You had no logical argument against those atheist philosophers. Like I said, these are only cultural differences base on evolved instincts... No big deal...
    I do not agree with the rationale of the OP, it is an extremist, minority position. The rational response is that once a fetus has attained viability and could survive outside its mother's womb, usually at the end of the second trimester, then it is entitled to the protection of law. But, this aside, there is no doubt that once birth has occurred then it is a "person" whether Jewish or whatever.
    Last edited by Tassman; 06-16-2018, 02:00 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
      I do not agree with the rationale of the OP, it is an extremist, minority position. The rational response is that once a fetus has attained viability and could survive outside its mother's womb, usually at the end of the second trimester, then it is entitled to the protection of law. But, this aside, there is no doubt that once birth has occurred then it is a "person" whether Jewish or whatever.
      No Tass, that is merely your opinion, logically why is your definition more correct or right? And remember in this country the right to abortion was once a minority position, so that distinction does not wash.
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Let's see, the OP, by which you seem exceptionally triggered, states thus:

Originally posted by seer View Post
        This is a syllogism by a cyber friend from New Zealand, Bnonn Tennant. I think the logic is solid.

1.It is wrong to kill another human being for personal reasons (because it is murder)

2.A human zygote or fetus is a human being

3.Therefore, it is wrong to kill a human zygote or fetus for personal reasons

https://bnonn.com/why-abortion-is-ir...ent-to-murder/
        So, let's see what the law says...

Currently, at least 38 states have fetal homicide laws: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia and Wisconsin. At least 29 states have fetal homicide laws that apply to the earliest stages of pregnancy ("any state of gestation/development," "conception," "fertilization" or "post-fertilization")

source

Now, let's analyze your nutty post in the light of FACTS:

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
        I do not agree with the rationale of the OP,
        I'm shocked. Shocked, I say.

it is an extremist, minority position.
        FALSE on both counts.

The rational response is that once a fetus has attained viability and could survive outside its mother's womb, usually at the end of the second trimester, then it is entitled to the protection of law.
        PATENTLY FALSE.

But, this aside, there is no doubt that once birth has occurred then it is a "person" whether Jewish or whatever.
        To quote that great theologian, Tassman, "Nonsense!"

Unfortunately, RoeVWade made a major exception to these INFANTICIDE cases by excluding abortion.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

True!

"Conservative definitions [of genocide] emphasize intentional actions and policies of governments that result in very large population losses, usually from direct killing. More liberal definitions call for less stringent criteria for intent, focusing more on outcomes. They do not necessarily require direct sanction by state authorities; rather, they identify societal forces and actors. They also allow for several intersecting forces of destruction, including dispossession and disease".

http://americanhistory.oxfordre.com/...0199329175-e-3

Much the same can be said of the Australian treatment of aborigines as with the native Americans. Not something for which either nation can be proud.
          You appear to be sidestepping the point, which was the government-sanctioned massacre of aborigines. That's why there are no native Tasmanians today.
          Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            Let's see, the OP, by which you seem exceptionally triggered,
            I was responding to the OP in seer's 'Infanticide thread' to which he specifically referred.

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
              You appear to be sidestepping the point, which was the government-sanctioned massacre of aborigines. That's why there are no native Tasmanians today.
              That was over a century ago, which doesn't excuse it. But the government and people have recognised the atrocities committed against the aboriginal people of Australia and officially apologised for it in parliament. Sadly, it was not uncommon during the colonial expansions worldwide to mistreat the indigenous people of the invaded country...this includes the US.

Comment

No Tass, that is merely your opinion, logically why is your definition more correct or right? And remember in this country the right to abortion was once a minority position, so that distinction does not wash.
                Leaving aside your misguided attempt to claim a universal god-mandated moral law, which you've never been able to show, my response was to your erroneous equating of abortion with the Jewish holocaust. Leaving aside the dispute about fetal personhood, there is no doubt that at birth legal protection obtains for ALL people, including Jews. In short, you were presenting a false equivalence between the rights of fetus' and Jews.

Comment

Leaving aside your misguided attempt to claim a universal god-mandated moral law, which you've never been able to show, my response was to your erroneous equating of abortion with the Jewish holocaust. Leaving aside the dispute about fetal personhood, there is no doubt that at birth legal protection obtains for ALL people, including Jews. In short, you were presenting a false equivalence between the rights of fetus' and Jews.
                  Nonsense Tass, all the Nazi culture had to do was declare to Jews as subhuman - as we are doing with the unborn. It does matter if you agree or not, your opinion on what constitutes a "person" or who gets "rights" is just as arbitrary as the Nazis'. And you are correct - we can't equate the two - abortion, by numbers, is much worse. 50 million of our own offspring slaughtered since Roe in my country alone...
                  Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Nonsense Tass, all the Nazi culture had to do was declare to Jews as subhuman - as we are doing with the unborn. It does matter if you agree or not, your opinion on what constitutes a "person" or who gets "rights" is just as arbitrary as the Nazis'.
                    Again, it's a false equivalence. One cannot compare an insensate embryo/fetus with a born human being.

And you are correct - we can't equate the two - abortion, by numbers, is much worse. 50 million of our own offspring slaughtered since Roe in my country alone...

Comment

• Calm yourself, DQ, you're going to have a stroke. Some of us don't believe evolution is nonsense, and many of us don't believe environmentalism is a farce.

Why do you promote such garbage in the name of anti-Christian hate?
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Calm yourself, DQ, you're going to have a stroke. Some of us don't believe evolution is nonsense,
                        Many of you do.

and many of us don't believe environmentalism is a farce.
                        This from the person who thinks sustainable farming is sufficient to prevent climate change.

Why do you promote such garbage in the name of anti-Christian hate?
                        I don't.

Comment

This from the person who thinks sustainable farming is sufficient to prevent climate change.
                          You are proving once again how badly your reading comprehension sucks, Tassy.

Comment

You are proving once again how badly your reading comprehension sucks, Tassy.
                            Nothing there!

Comment

Again, it's a false equivalence. One cannot compare an insensate embryo/fetus with a born human being.
                              Who says? You? They are after all both human. Ontologically what is the difference?

What lies? Have we not slaughtered 50 million of our own offspring?

Comment

Nothing there!
                                This is one of those substantive posts you're always whining about?

Comment