Announcement

Collapse

Philosophy 201 Guidelines

Cogito ergo sum

Here in the Philosophy forum we will talk about all the "why" questions. We'll have conversations about the way in which philosophy and theology and religion interact with each other. Metaphysics, ontology, origins, truth? They're all fair game so jump right in and have some fun! But remember...play nice!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Abortion Is Equal To Murder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    On the other hand, people sometimes reveal their true thoughts in an unguarded moment.
    Or when they're drunk
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

On the other hand, people sometimes reveal their true thoughts in an unguarded moment.
      As I have said several times...when someone I have no reason to doubt tells me what they meant when they said X, I accept it as such. To do otherwise is to try to read minds and makes it likely I'm going to impose my own beliefs on them.

If I have not been consistent on that here - then I invite people to call me on it. It's something I feel fairly passionately about (unlike slogans on money... ).
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
        Or when they're drunk
        That's an unguarded moment generator.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
          As I have said several times...when someone I have no reason to doubt tells me what they meant when they said X, I accept it as such. To do otherwise is to try to read minds and makes it likely I'm going to impose my own beliefs on them.

If I have not been consistent on that here - then I invite people to call me on it. It's something I feel fairly passionately about (unlike slogans on money... ).
          I was just messin with you, cause you said you'd leave it at that. I knew you couldn't.

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
          I don't use what "people" generally do to make a judgement about what a specific person is likely to do (or at least I try not to). RBG does not have a reputation for lying, and has never said anything even remotely similar. I'm inclined to believe her. We'll have to leave it at that.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I was just messin with you, cause you said you'd leave it at that. I knew you couldn't.

The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

I think I said that - it does not align with my experience. I read your article, and noted it is from Salon - which leans pretty hard to the left. That raises my "dubiousness" quotient a bit. It doesn't mean it's wrong (genetic fallacy), it just means I need to do a little digging to validate (or refute) the claims it makes. I don't have time for that right now, but perhaps later today.
              Perhaps you should have done that before you inserted your two-penneth worth on a topic that is so emotionally fraught.

Comment

Most of which you pervert or very selectively site, or are just absolutely flat out wrong.
                https://www.dmagazine.com/frontburne...as-pro-choice/

http://religiondispatches.org/the-no...life-movement/

https://www.salon.com/2013/02/09/the...retty_partner/

You have a hateful anti-Christian bias, and you will descend to any depth to try to support that.
                Thank you for so clearly demonstrating your anti-atheist bias. Yet again!

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                  Perhaps you should have done that before you inserted your two-penneth worth on a topic that is so emotionally fraught.
                  No...I don't think so. We can all offer our insights based on our experiences, Tass. When someone offers evidence against those insights, it's worth examining. However, there is no way to examine it until someone offers the insights. In response to your post, I offered my experience. In response to that you offered a Salon post. As soon as I have some time, I'll dig into the salon post.

If that is not adequate for you...well...

Comment

• You're on a theology forum. Are you really surprised there is an anti-atheist bias?

Comment

No...I don't think so. We can all offer our insights based on our experiences, Tass. When someone offers evidence against those insights, it's worth examining. However, there is no way to examine it until someone offers the insights. In response to your post, I offered my experience. In response to that you offered a Salon post. As soon as I have some time, I'll dig into the salon post.

If that is not adequate for you...well...
                      I've posted numerous links on the topic. If you're concerned about the bias of Salon you might prefer Politico:

https://www.politico.com/magazine/st...3#.U4d_e_ldW2E

I look forward to your response.

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                      You're on a theology forum. Are you really surprised there is an anti-atheist bias?
                      "You have a hateful anti-Christian bias, and you will descend to any depth to try to support that".

Comment

• Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

I've posted numerous links on the topic. If you're concerned about the bias of Salon you might prefer Politico:

https://www.politico.com/magazine/st...3#.U4d_e_ldW2E

I look forward to your response.
                          Heading for a day of class right now. This week is pretty dedicated to the program I'm teaching, but I may find some time. BTW, I didn't go back and read the entire thread. I just responded to the one post (and our exchange since then, of course).

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                          "You have a hateful anti-Christian bias, and you will descend to any depth to try to support that".
                          Hyperbole is not exactly rare around here, I've noticed. I have come to wonder if it is not endemic to the atheist/theist encounter. After all, the idea of god is not an abstraction to them - it is a personal relationship they experience as very real. Then along comes the atheist. The very name "atheist" essentially suggests that they are in a relationship with a fantasy. If someone told me my relationship with my wife was an illusion, I would wonder about their sanity. I might even get a bit hyperbolic.

And hyperbole is not exactly unique to theists...

Comment

• That's a flat out lie. I proved you wrong by showing the parts of your cites that you omitted. You included PARTS of resolutions from the SBC that argued for exceptions for abortion - the part you omitted was about the sanctity of human life. That was a even a couple years BEFORE RvW.

The resolutions cited the sanctity of human life - INCLUDING THE FETUS - then allowed for some very limited exceptions.

Your citation of "The bureau chief of the Baptist Press" turned out to be the very liberal OPINION of ONE bureau chief of SBC's most liberal and troublesome office.

You are just as wrong about this as when you falsely accused the homosexual man of supporting NAMBLA, when he was, indeed, speaking AGAINST NAMBLA.

How do you get so much wrong so often?

Comment

That's not spiteful at all, Tassman. Merely accurate observation based on solid evidence.

Comment

MRI scans help diagnose disease or damage, but I doubt that it would have told us anything about a normal fetus in the womb that wasn't already known.
                                So you think we knew what a normally developing foetus's MRI scan looked like before MRI scanners were invented???
                                Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                                MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment