Announcement

Collapse

Philosophy 201 Guidelines

Cogito ergo sum

Here in the Philosophy forum we will talk about all the "why" questions. We'll have conversations about the way in which philosophy and theology and religion interact with each other. Metaphysics, ontology, origins, truth? They're all fair game so jump right in and have some fun! But remember...play nice!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Abortion Is Equal To Murder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    One thing to keep in mind is that there has always been a strain in the pro-abortion side which has seen abortion as a viable way of lowering the birth rate from "undesirables"

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28057[/ATTACH]
    When RBG said that during an interview...the right pounced (as both sides do when the opposing side utters a poorly structured sentence that can be lifted out of context and used as a meme). A more full explanation of her statement was in a follow-up interview. I found it with a quick search.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
      When RBG said that during an interview...the right pounced (as both sides do when the opposing side utters a poorly structured sentence that can be lifted out of context and used as a meme). A more full explanation of her statement was in a follow-up interview. I found it with a quick search.
      I don't think the supposed clarification absolves her. She used the word "we", which includes her with those that agreed with the goals of Zero POpulation Growth.
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        It is. So you were clearly wrong. Again.
        Oh well then, if you say so...

As is the rest of your post, which I'll ignore.
        But of course you will.

Comment

I have to say that this does not align with my experience at all. I was an evangelical Christian in my youth, and that was from the early 1970s through the early 1980s - then I became a more progressive Christian. Our community was instantly against abortion when the RvW ruling was handed down in 1973, and immediately got active resisting it. It is also untrue that we had no idea what was in the womb. The same pictures of aborted fetuses (feti?) were being circulated in 1973 as in 2018.

I also think the claim that the evangelical right is focused on perpetuating racial discrimination is way off the edge. Yes, some of the things the right does has the effect of perpetuating some forms of discrimination, and I have certainly noted on more than one occasion that many on the right are too quick to deny that racism continues to be a problem in our world. But I have no reason to believe that perpetuating racism is the intentional focus of the right.

A good example is the entire VoterID issue. There is no doubt that these initiatives impact minorities more than Caucasians. However, the intent of the right is to diminish voter turnout by the left in order to be more successful at the voting booth. The impact on minorities is (as best I can tell) an unintended side-effect (well, with the exception of the situation in North Carolina).

I think your post goes WAY too far....
          This is your opinion based upon your experience. It does not equate to the opinions and experiences of those in the several links I've previously posted in this thread: e.g.:

https://www.salon.com/2013/02/09/the...retty_partner/

There are others.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
            This is your opinion based upon your experience. It does not equate to the opinions and experiences of those in the several links I've previously posted in this thread: e.g.:

There are others.
            Most of which you pervert or very selectively site, or are just absolutely flat out wrong. You have a hateful anti-Christian bias, and you will descend to any depth to try to support that.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Oh well then, if you say so...
              Not only have I said it, but I have proven it on numerous occasions.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                I don't think the supposed clarification absolves her. She used the word "we", which includes her with those that agreed with the goals of Zero POpulation Growth.
                As I have said over and over again here, I am not a fan of telling someone else what they think and feel. The original statement is pretty bad. I accept her clarification at face value. I have no reason to think she would lie. I can easily see myself saying something like, "at the time of Oberefell v. Hodges, there was concern that same-sex marriages would encourage immoral behavior between people we don't find morally acceptable," in which the latter part of the sentence is referencing those who hold that position (picture someone doing air-quotes as they say the last phrase).

RBG should have been more careful with her original wording, of that there is no doubt. She clarified her position thereafter and I accept her clarification. I only reject a clarification if I have cause to believe the person speaking is generally not honest, or if there is a pattern of repeated belief that is being denied. As far as I know, RBG said this one time in one place, clarified it, and it has not been part of her speech or any position she has vocalized before or since.
                The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

There are others.
                  I think I said that - it does not align with my experience. I read your article, and noted it is from Salon - which leans pretty hard to the left. That raises my "dubiousness" quotient a bit. It doesn't mean it's wrong (genetic fallacy), it just means I need to do a little digging to validate (or refute) the claims it makes. I don't have time for that right now, but perhaps later today.

Comment

As I have said over and over again here, I am not a fan of telling someone else what they think and feel. The original statement is pretty bad. I accept her clarification at face value. I have no reason to think she would lie. I can easily see myself saying something like, "at the time of Oberefell v. Hodges, there was concern that same-sex marriages would encourage immoral behavior between people we don't find morally acceptable," in which the latter part of the sentence is referencing those who hold that position (picture someone doing air-quotes as they say the last phrase).

RBG should have been more careful with her original wording, of that there is no doubt. She clarified her position thereafter and I accept her clarification. I only reject a clarification if I have cause to believe the person speaking is generally not honest, or if there is a pattern of repeated belief that is being denied. As far as I know, RBG said this one time in one place, clarified it, and it has not been part of her speech or any position she has vocalized before or since.
                    She clarified it after an intense media firestorm. It's quite common in politics for people to use clarifications to alter the meaning of statements that on face value meant something very different after falling under pressure, so I'm not inclined to take her original statement as non-literal.
                    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

As I have said over and over again here, I am not a fan of telling someone else what they think and feel.
                      Reminds me of my youngest daughter, whose favorite motto seems to be....

"I'm not bossy - I just happen to know what everybody else should be doing (and thinking)".

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                        She clarified it after an intense media firestorm. It's quite common in politics for people to use clarifications to alter the meaning of statements that on face value meant something very different after falling under pressure, so I'm not inclined to take her original statement as non-literal.
                        I don't use what "people" generally do to make a judgement about what a specific person is likely to do (or at least I try not to). RBG does not have a reputation for lying, and has never said anything even remotely similar. I'm inclined to believe her. We'll have to leave it at that.

Comment

Reminds me of my youngest daughter, whose favorite motto seems to be....

"I'm not bossy - I just happen to know what everybody else should be doing (and thinking)".
                          That's a common illness around here, I've noticed. I get told what I think, feel, meant, and want on a regular basis.

Comment

I don't use what "people" generally do to make a judgement about what a specific person is likely to do (or at least I try not to). RBG does not have a reputation for lying, and has never said anything even remotely similar. I'm inclined to believe her. We'll have to leave it at that.
                            On the other hand, people sometimes reveal their true thoughts in an unguarded moment.

Comment

That's a common illness around here, I've noticed. I get told what I think, feel, meant, and want on a regular basis.
                              Come on, Carp, that's not what you really think at all.

Comment

Come on, Carp, that's not what you really think at all.

Comment