Announcement

Collapse

Philosophy 201 Guidelines

Cogito ergo sum

Here in the Philosophy forum we will talk about all the "why" questions. We'll have conversations about the way in which philosophy and theology and religion interact with each other. Metaphysics, ontology, origins, truth? They're all fair game so jump right in and have some fun! But remember...play nice!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Abortion Is Equal To Murder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
    Stop being so dramatically outraged.
    No. It's warranted when idiots like you can't admit they are wrong.

A fetus does have rights.
    Yes. At ANY stage of development according to the Unborn Victims of Violence Act. Do you deny that?

Currently, in the US, this is generally when the life of the fetus is its own and viable and therefore subject to being protected by the state.
    Wrong. It does not stipulate there are exclusions to when the conduct that harms the child in utero takes place

Whoever engages in conduct that violates any of the provisions of law listed in subsection (b) and thereby causes the death of, or bodily injury (as defined in section 1365) to, a child, who is in utero at the time the conduct takes place, is guilty of a separate offense under this section.

You are wrong Tassy.
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      45 years ago we didn't have actual video of the baby in the womb. 45 years ago, a mother couldn't watch a sonogram of the new person growing inside her.
      And the Op-Ed itself stated there were many opinions on the subject. The Op-Ed was not an official proclamation by the SBC, so why Tassy is bandying it about like it was a papal decree is beyond me...
      That's what
      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• No, stupid. ONE evangelical said that. There were some that agreed and some that disagreed.

Sonograms do not change the reality of what was known about fetal development 45 years ago when this Landmark Decision was made.
        Sure it did. That's why there is a collapse clause, and if we ever got a SCOTUS that wasn't populated by the rabidly pro-abortion female trio of morons, we'd get a logical decision based on actual science instead of the selfish abuse of the word "privacy"...
        That's what
        - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
          And the Op-Ed itself stated there were many opinions on the subject. The Op-Ed was not an official proclamation by the SBC, so why Tassy is bandying it about like it was a papal decree is beyond me...
          It's Tassman, so...
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
            No. It's warranted when idiots like you can't admit they are wrong.
            Yes. At ANY stage of development according to the Unborn Victims of Violence Act. Do you deny that?
            Except in the case of abortion as approved by the mother! Do you deny that?

Wrong. It does not stipulate there are exclusions to when the conduct that harms the child in utero takes place
            See above.

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
            Last edited by Tassman; 05-29-2018, 12:41 AM.

Comment

• ONE guy, who was a liberal.

was in "The Baptist Press", a wire service run by the Southern Baptist Convention
              As his OPINION.

And, as usual, you dishonestly omit a very crucial truth.... When asked the official SBC position... (I'll bold it and embiggen it for you so you don't miss it)

Question: What is the Southern Baptist position on abortion?

Answer: There is no official Southern Baptist position on abortion, or any other such question. Among 12 million Southern Baptists, there are probably 12 million different opinions.

In short, the rigid, universal anti-abortion stance we see among Evangelicals today is a relatively recent phenomenon
              Certainly not according to the source you mutilate.
              Last edited by Cow Poke; 05-29-2018, 06:56 AM.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Meanwhile, my denomination, the Assemblies of God, with it's 3 million US members and 67 million worldwide, (even though it like the SBC churches are also composed of autonomous bodies), still takes a very Anti-abortion stance.

ABORTION

This document reflects commonly held beliefs based on scripture which have been endorsed by the church's Commission on Doctrinal Purity and the Executive Presbytery. Why does the Assemblies of God oppose abortion?
                The Assemblies of God is unashamedly pro-life
                "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

ONE guy, who was a liberal.
                  He was the bureau chief of 'Baptist Press', which is the official news service of the Southern Baptist Convention and responsible for providing regular news releases about Southern Baptists, serving as the Convention's press representative.

As his OPINION.
                  It was his editorial as bureau chief of the official organ of the Southern Baptist Convention. His role was to reflect the views of the SBC.

And, as usual, you dishonestly omit a very crucial truth.... When asked the official SBC position... (I'll bold it and embiggen it for you so you don't miss it)

Question: What is the Southern Baptist position on abortion?

Answer: There is no official Southern Baptist position on abortion, or any other such question. Among 12 million Southern Baptists, there are probably 12 million different opinions.
                  So abortion supposedly being about In short, if the state laws are now made to conform to the Supreme Court ruling, the decision to obtain an abortion or to bring pregnancy to full term can now be a matter of conscience and deliberate choice

https://www.thegospelcoalition.org/b...on-roe-v-wade/

Comment

• Yes you are. You are making the single exception to the fetus' legal rights the only situation applicable. YOU - ARE - WRONG.

Currently in the US according to the law of the land, as per the SCOTUS Roe v Wade Landmark decision, the rights of the fetus begin when the life of the fetus is its own and viable.
                    No. Currently in the US according to the law of the land, as per the Unborn Victims of Violence Act, the rights of a fetus begin at conception, and are 100% protected from being harmed, except for by the mother and her doctor.

This is when it warrants protection by the state.
                    Wrong.

http://news.findlaw.com/hdocs/docs/p...121503dmot.pdf

On November 12, 2004, a jury convicted Peterson of two counts of murder: first-degree murder with special circumstances for killing Laci, and second-degree murder for killing the fetus she carried.

Except in the case of abortion as approved by the mother! Do you deny that?
                    No. That's what I said in the first place. The only one who can legally murder their fetus is the mother and her doctor. ALL other instances and perpetrators are breaking the law by harming the fetus. Ergo, fetuses have rights under all but 1 circumstance.

See above.
                    See above.

Do you even know what an Op-Ed is?

Source: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/op-ed

Definition of op-ed for English Language Learners

: an essay in a newspaper or magazine that gives the opinion of the writer and that is written by someone who is not employed by the newspaper or magazine

© Copyright Original Source

It can be reasonably assumed to represent the opinion of Evangelicals 45 years ago when it was written.
                    because that's how op-eds work...

He was wrong. It was his opinion. And they were relatively ignorant on matters of science.

In short, the rigid, universal anti-abortion stance we see among Evangelicals today is a relatively recent phenomenon.
                    Doesn't make that stance wrong though.
                    That's what
                    - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                      He was the bureau chief of 'Baptist Press',
                      You are REALLY doubling down on ignorance, Tass. No, he was ONE bureau chief of ONE office of the Baptist Press. He worked in the DC office - the HOME office of the SBC is Nashville, not DC. Just a few years later, his predecessor was even denied credentials to attend the annual meeting, because that office was pretty much a rogue office.

which is the official news service of the Southern Baptist Convention and responsible for providing regular news releases about Southern Baptists, serving as the Convention's press representative.
                      Baptist Press is the news organization, with bureaus all around the world - the home office is Nashville.

It was his editorial as bureau chief of the official organ of the Southern Baptist Convention. His role was to reflect the views of the SBC.
                      ABSOLUTELY wrong - and just repeating it over and over, as is your game, doesn't change the truth.

Either you are incredibly ignorant or incredibly dishonest. Or both.

Comment

Just a few years later, his predecessor was even denied credentials to attend the annual meeting, because that office was pretty much a rogue office.
                        Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                        sigpic
                        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

...a rogue office.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                            Yeah, his .. um... the guy that took over his job.

At the rogue office.

Where MUCH controversy continued to flow, having to do with the Baptist Joint Committee on Public Affairs, which the SBC funded in part, and which we ended up DEfunding. Cause we kinda thought they must have been sitting around smoking joints or something, cause their 'policy' and activities were often at odds with the SBC.

(get it, the "joint" committee?)

Comment

At the rogue office.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                                You really should go there and clean things up.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X