Announcement

Collapse

Philosophy 201 Guidelines

Cogito ergo sum

Here in the Philosophy forum we will talk about all the "why" questions. We'll have conversations about the way in which philosophy and theology and religion interact with each other. Metaphysics, ontology, origins, truth? They're all fair game so jump right in and have some fun! But remember...play nice!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

An infinite series of finite causes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by seer View Post
    But laws are not things and no it does not follow that matter and energy would be infinite too.
    True, thats what I"ve been saying, the physical laws are not things, but if what you believe the physicists are saying is true, that the physical laws themselves are the eternally existing cause of a "universe from nothing" then that same universe would have emeged from this "nothing" an eternity ago.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
      True, thats what I"ve been saying, the physical laws are not things, but if what you believe the physicists are saying is true, that the physical laws themselves are the eternally existing cause of a "universe from nothing" then that same universe would have emeged from this "nothing" an eternity ago.
      The evidence suggests that our known universe has a finite beginning. Some 13.7 billion years ago. And those laws of physics are deemed to have come into existence with the universe.
      . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

• Originally posted by 37818 View Post
        The evidence suggests that our known universe has a finite beginning. Some 13.7 billion years ago. And those laws of physics are deemed to have come into existence with the universe.
        You missed the point, the notion is that the physical laws exist in and of themselves in a sort of platonic realm separate and apart from the universe, that they are not descriptive of nature, but that they are the cause and directer of nature.

Comment

True, thats what I"ve been saying, the physical laws are not things, but if what you believe the physicists are saying is true, that the physical laws themselves are the eternally existing cause of a "universe from nothing" then that same universe would have emerged from this "nothing" an eternity ago.
          What? If the universe 'emerged' then it can't be past eternal. You are not making sense Jim. And if these laws exist in a Platonic sense then they are not dependent on the physical universe. But as a theist I have no problem with this, these laws existed in the mind of God before the creation of the universe.
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

You missed the point, the notion is that the physical laws exist in and of themselves in a sort of platonic realm separate and apart from the universe, that they are not descriptive of nature, but that they are the cause and directer of nature.
            There are some scientists which think the laws of physics could have been different.
            http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/blogs/p...-be-explained/
            . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

What? If the universe 'emerged' then it can't be past eternal. You are not making sense Jim. And if these laws exist in a Platonic sense then they are not dependent on the physical universe. But as a theist I have no problem with this, these laws existed in the mind of God before the creation of the universe.
              Doesn't matter. If nothingness is an eternal fact, and the physical laws are an eternal fact, and it is out of that that universes are said to come, then those universes wouldn't really be emerging at all, they would have to be as eternal as the laws and the nothingness that they are said to come from. There is no change required for this to happen, therefore its not something that "happens."

Comment

Doesn't matter. If nothingness is an eternal fact, and the physical laws are an eternal fact, and it is out of that that universes are said to come, then those universes wouldn't really be emerging at all, they would have to be as eternal as the laws and the nothingness that they are said to come from. There is no change required for this to happen, therefore its not something that "happens."
                Jim, don't argue with me, I believe in God so it not a problem for me, argue with the atheist physicists who are suggesting this.
                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Jim, don't argue with me, I believe in God so it not a problem for me, argue with the atheist physicists who are suggesting this.
                  I'm arguing with both you and the physicists. You're both suggesting that the Universe came from nothing, and in neither case, afaict, do your arguments hold water.

Comment

I'm arguing with both you and the physicists. You're both suggesting that the Universe came from nothing, and in neither case, afaict, do your arguments hold water.
                    I cannot say I have followed this discussion from its beginning, but I know of no theists who say the universe "came from nothing." They say it came from god. If there is a supreme, all-powerful being, then it is perfectly consistent to suggest it could create a universe. The question is, does such a being exist.

Indeed, it is the atheist that either has to suggest the universe "came from nothing," or that there is something "out there," beyond our universe, that gives rise to universes. The fact is, we simply don't know how our universe came to be. If time/space begin with the beginning of our universe, we lack even a language to talk about what is "outside" our universe. Time may not apply. Space may not apply. It is part of the perennial question of why there is something instead of nothing.

Personally, I do not rush to replace "I don't know" with "god did it." History tells us that the tendency is for things previously explained by "god did it" tend to be explainable as a simple, naturalistic event (once we learn enough about our universe). So I'm good with "I don't know" until something better comes along.

The theist likewise has a similar problem. After all, the universe begins at a particular moment in time (at least our time), so what was happening before? Why did god suddenly choose to create at that moment in all eternity, and not before? Of course, the response will be, "how do we know god didn't create before? So, like us, they too have to say "I don't know." They just add one thing to the story that an atheist does not: god.
                    Last edited by carpedm9587; 04-10-2018, 06:22 PM.
                    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                      I cannot say I have followed this discussion from its beginning, but I know of no theists who say the universe "came from nothing." They say it came from god. If there is a supreme, all-powerful being, then it is perfectly consistent to suggest it could create a universe. The question is, does such a being exist.
                      Claiming that god did it is no different than saying it was created out of nothing. If god created the universe, then he created it out of nothing, or as the bible says, "he spoke it into existence."
                      Indeed, it is the atheist that either has to suggest the universe "came from nothing," or that there is something "out there," beyond our universe, that gives rise to universes. The fact is, we simply don't know how our universe came to be. If time/space begin with the beginning of our universe, we lack even a language to talk about what is "outside" our universe. Time may not apply. Space may not apply. It is part of the perennial question of why there is something instead of nothing.
                      The most reasonable answer to that question is that the Universe, that is the stuff of which it is formed, is infinite and eternal, and that there is no such thing as nothing. Why this "something" exists rather than there being nothing is another question altogether and the simple answer to that is that it is just a brute fact that the existence of "something" is just the natural order of things.
                      Personally, I do not rush to replace "I don't know" with "god did it." History tells us that the tendency is for things previously explained by "god did it" tend to be explainable as a simple, naturalistic event (once we learn enough about our universe). So I'm good with "I don't know" until something better comes along.
                      I'm good with I don't know as well, because I don't know, but I also see no good reason to posit a creator god.
                      The theist likewise has a similar problem. After all, the universe begins at a particular moment in time (at least our time), so what was happening before? Why did god suddenly choose to create at that moment in all eternity, and not before? Of course, the response will be, "how do we know god didn't create before? So, like us, they too have to say "I don't know." They just add one thing to the story that an atheist does not: god.
                      Yes, none of us can say we know with any kind of certainty, of course, but theists actually claim that they do know, and not only know, but know which particular god is the real god out of the thousands of gods there have been. But the atheist actually has good reason to refute their beliefs and not to believe in creation or god at all.
                      Last edited by JimL; 04-10-2018, 06:48 PM.

Comment

Claiming that god did it is no different than saying it was created out of nothing. If god created the universe, then he created it out of nothing, or as the bible says, "he spoke it into existence."
                        I understand your perspective Jim, but "out of god's creative will" and "out of nothing" are not the same thing. I'm not defending the belief, mind you, just trying to explain it. However, I think you would be correct to say it was created out of "nothing material." God is, after all, said to be immaterial - so we have an immaterial being creating a material existence.

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                        The most reasonable answer to that question is that the Universe, that is the stuff of which it is formed, is infinite and eternal, and that there is no such thing as nothing. Why this "something" exists rather than there being nothing is another question altogether and the simple answer to that is that it is just a brute fact that the existence of "something" is just the natural order of things.
                        Except that science tells us the universe began with the "Big Bang," a singularity. It gives rise to the questions, "where did the singularity come from?" If it was always in existence, then what causal force led it to explode at that particular moment? These are questions for which science has no adequate answers today, that I know of.

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                        I'm good with I don't know as well, because I don't know, but I also see no good reason to posit a creator god.

Yes, none of us can say we know with any kind of certainty, of course, but theists actually claim that they do know, and not only know, but know which particular god is the real god out of the thousands of gods there have been. But the atheist actually has good reason to refute their beliefs and not to believe in creation or god at all.
                        Good reason to us - not particularly satisfying to them.
                        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

I understand your perspective Jim, but "out of god's creative will" and "out of nothing" are not the same thing. I'm not defending the belief, mind you, just trying to explain it. However, I think you would be correct to say it was created out of "nothing material." God is, after all, said to be immaterial - so we have an immaterial being creating a material existence.
                          The material world, being that no such material substance existed, whether its coming into existence be of gods will or not, would necessarily have been created out of nothing. Unless god formed the universe out of his own substance, then he created it out of nothing. However you want to look at it, if no such thing existed, and then came into existence, then puff, it magically appeared from out of nothing. That is what is meant by "created" with respect to god.

Except that science tells us the universe began with the "Big Bang," a singularity. It gives rise to the questions, "where did the singularity come from?" If it was always in existence, then what causal force led it to explode at that particular moment? These are questions for which science has no adequate answers today, that I know of.
                          Not really. Science only tells us that our universe, our spacetime, began to exist some 14 billion years ago, not necessarily that "the universe," or what I would call the greater cosmos, began to exist. The singularity, if that is how our universe began to exist, needn't itself have always existed, the singularity would be the result of events taking place in the greater cosmos. Something coming from something.

Good reason to us - not particularly satisfying to them.
                          Yes, well, there is always hope.

Comment

This problem goes away once you realize that since time itself began existing with the creation of the universe (or at least that's the most common Christian understanding of the relationship between time and creation) it's simply nonsensical to ask why God chose to create at a specific moment in eternity and not another. The answer is that God chose to create at that specific moment in eternity because it was the only moment that existed. The passage of time didn't exist yet, so there was no way to divide eternity up in to discrete moments.

Comment

Right creation from nothing, not creation from a multiverse.
                              No it is a complete bias. He has no idea if natural causes created this universe or how. This is not merely methodological naturalism, it is philosophical naturalism
                              How can "science" be working on it if it is not testable or observable?
                              Via inferences based upon what is known to exist. This is how science (very successfully) works.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                                This problem goes away once you realize that since time itself began existing with the creation of the universe (or at least that's the most common Christian understanding of the relationship between time and creation) it's simply nonsensical to ask why God chose to create at a specific moment in eternity and not another. The answer is that God chose to create at that specific moment in eternity because it was the only moment that existed. The passage of time didn't exist yet, so there was no way to divide eternity up in to discrete moments.
                                No, that idea is nonsensical. If there was no before creation, then there was no god before either. No matter how you look at it, if the universe came to be after god, then god existed before the universe, and before and after implies time.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X