Announcement

Collapse

Philosophy 201 Guidelines

Cogito ergo sum

Here in the Philosophy forum we will talk about all the "why" questions. We'll have conversations about the way in which philosophy and theology and religion interact with each other. Metaphysics, ontology, origins, truth? They're all fair game so jump right in and have some fun! But remember...play nice!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

New member question about philosophy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    We haven't seen much of the sun in a couple weeks, which is pretty rare for my part of Texas.
    I know what you mean:) I'm in Tx too. Please come out sun and stay awhile .^_^

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
      Perceived likelihood is the only way to make the decision of what is self-existent. No objective evidence is available. The same perceived likelihood is what makes self-existence universe folks, lean to that option.
      Actually, that's not what makes me lean in that direction. What maakes me lean in that direction is the general principal that I should not add to an explanation something that is not strictly necessary for that explanation. So we have universe, or god+universe. Since universe by itself is the simpler proposition, and I have no other compelling evidence suggesting I should add a god,
      I don't.

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
      I agree that we don't know is not a reason to say God did it. However, I see the same dynamic at work with people like Jim saying in effect, "Since you can not prove scientifically that there is a God, that means that God did not do it."
      If Jim is making that claim, I would suggest the claim is somewhat irrational. As a "supernatural" being, the idea of god lies outside the scope of science. Science has little/nothing to say about gods because the concept is not falsifiable scientifically.
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
        Could be, don't know all theistic positions, but if they don't believe that an immaterial or supernatural existent created the material or natural world then the only alternative I can see is Pantheism. If your argument is that there are 2 necessary existences, then I would argue that there are 2 gods, and the very idea that there are 2 gods is a contradiction on its face. I know you've said that the B'hai preaches that the material world is a reflection of god or something like that, but that doesn't make any sense to me.
        God never intended to make sense to you nor appeal to the logic and reasoning of any mortal. To do this would a contradiction to the existence of God. It is simply a fact of belief that there is only one 'Source' some call Gods, and our physical Creation is the eternal reflection of the attributes of God.
        Last edited by shunyadragon; 03-04-2018, 07:25 PM.

Comment

A "self-existent universe" is not a viable idea. William Lane Craig really put this idea to bed. A self-existent universe would require an infinite regression of causes to reach the present. An infinite regression of finite events is inherently illogical and therefore impossible. As the Bible points out, God's existence is self-evident and people pretend not to understand why because they find His existence annoying.

Comment

Originally posted by Darfius View Post
            A "self-existent universe" is not a viable idea. William Lane Craig really put this idea to bed. A self-existent universe would require an infinite regression of causes to reach the present. An infinite regression of finite events is inherently illogical and therefore impossible. As the Bible points out, God's existence is self-evident and people pretend not to understand why because they find His existence annoying.
            There are other approaches to a "self-existent universe" that are not so illogical. They are still wrong in my opinion, obviously.
            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Darfius View Post
              I presume you're referring to the Kalam Cosmological Argument and Craig's defense of it? There is a good response to this here.

In a nutshell, there are several problems with the argument. First, while the argument is sound, the premises ar enot necessarily true so it cannot be shown to be valid. Second, Craig (and others) make a fourth leap not supported by the argument: that the cause of the universe (which is defined, for this discussion, as the sum total of energy/matter/time/space associated with the so-called "Big Bang") is necessarily god (or a god).
              The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                I presume you're referring to the Kalam Cosmological Argument and Craig's defense of it? There is a good response to this here.

In a nutshell, there are several problems with the argument. First, while the argument is sound, the premises ar enot necessarily true so it cannot be shown to be valid. Second, Craig (and others) make a fourth leap not supported by the argument: that the cause of the universe (which is defined, for this discussion, as the sum total of energy/matter/time/space associated with the so-called "Big Bang") is necessarily god (or a god).
                The two assumptions the KCA makes: 1) An infinite series of causes to be impossible. 2) The then necessary first cause, uncaused cause to have the identity of God.
                Last edited by 37818; 03-05-2018, 09:53 AM.
                . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
                  The two assumptions the KCA makes: 1) An infinite series of causes to be impossible. 2) The then necessary first cause, uncaused cause to have the identity of God.
                  Yes to the former (though it is not clear that case can be made). The 2nd part is not actually part of the KCA. It is a fourth step taken by most. By itself, all the KCA does is show (if the premises are true), that the Universe had to have a cause. It does not identify that cause.

Comment

Yes to the former (though it is not clear that case can be made). The 2nd part is not actually part of the KCA. It is a fourth step taken by most. By itself, all the KCA does is show (if the premises are true), that the Universe had to have a cause. It does not identify that cause.
                    Yes.

The argument is so used to claim an identity for God as the uncaused Cause.

Now there is a forgotten presumption - uncaused existence which would have to be in order to have either and infinite series of causes with no first cause or to have an uncaused first cause. Uncaused existence is primary. Now unless this necessary being is presumed to be the Being there is no God.
                    . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                      God never intended to make sense to you nor appeal to the logic and reasoning of any mortal. To do this would a contradiction to the existence of God. It is simply a fact of belief that there is only one 'Source' some call Gods, and our physical Creation is the eternal reflection of the attributes of God.
                      That's not a fact shunya, that's a belief. That some call the source of our physical existence god means nothing, it's no different than saying that some call the source of our physical existence peanut butter, and that our physical existence is a reflection of peanut butter.

Comment

Yes.

The argument is so used to claim an identity for God as the uncaused Cause.

Now there is a forgotten presumption - uncaused existence which would have to be in order to have either and infinite series of causes with no first cause or to have an uncaused first cause. Uncaused existence is primary. Now unless this necessary being is presumed to be the Being there is no God.
                        I realize the argument is used that way - but it is not actually part of the argument. The conclusion to the KCA is that the universe must be caused.

Comment

That post you linked to didn't debunk anything, even where it was coherent. First he calls cause and effect "intuition" rather than the foundation of all logic. Fail. Then he says you "can't create the material from the immaterial", but that begs the question. The strength of the argument is that the material universe requires a personal Cause precisely to explain the ontological gap between the material and the immaterial. In other words, since all matter had a beginning point, what preceded that beginning point must have been immaterial, but personal so as to choose an effect ontologically different from itself. Then he tries to mumble about multiverses, but that only removes the problem of infinite regression a step back and doesn't solve it.

So the reason the argument proves the God of the Bible rather than any other god is because the Cause must be omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, immaterial and personal. In other words, He must be perfect. The Flying Spaghetti Monster isn't perfect.

Comment

That an infinite series of causes is impossible is not an assumption. An infinite series of causes would require an infinite series of events. Another way of stating an infinite series of events would be infinite finiteness. It's meaningless gibberish.

Comment

(1) It has been demonstrated that an infinite series of causes is possible. Actual infinities are a complete closed set and possible and used in physics to describe possible attributes of black holes. Our physical existence is possibly potentially infinite without regard to any actual infinity.

(2) The physical existence is possibly uncaused in and of itself as possibly eternal. and natural laws are possibly eternal.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                                That's not a fact shunya, that's a belief. That some call the source of our physical existence god means nothing, it's no different than saying that some call the source of our physical existence peanut butter, and that our physical existence is a reflection of peanut butter.
                                Reread my post: I DID NOT SAY THE 'BELIEF' WAS FACTUAL. I said it is a fact that this represents the Baha'i belief. You apparently need a remedial English lesson.

Reread and respond coherently.

Comment